Speculation: Possible trade deadline acquisitions

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010

I'd probably let go of Miller, Thomas, and a pick if it means a Cup. The Rangers have been retooling, building, and tweeking for about 9 years now to get to this point, starting with the firesale in the spring of 2004. Would I jettison a couple prospects to put the team over the top and get to watch the parade in June? Hell yea. This isn't 2010 anymore.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I'd probably let go of Miller, Thomas, and a pick if it means a Cup. The Rangers have been retooling, building, and tweeking for about 9 years now to get to this point, starting with the firesale in the spring of 2004. Would I jettison a couple prospects to put the team over the top and get to watch the parade in June? Hell yea. This isn't 2010 anymore.

That does not get it done for Getzlaf. Someone will offer more.

And to be honest Miller is a pretty solid player. Closest forward prospect to being ready imo. He can play center and is tenacious. A lot like dubinsky. We should be holding onto him.

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
That does not get it done for Getzlaf. Someone will offer more.

And to be honest Miller is a pretty solid player. Closest forward prospect to being ready imo. He can play center and is tenacious. A lot like dubinsky. We should be holding onto him.

I hope Miller can be ready to play by the postseason, because the only hole I see in the roster is Boyle centering the 3rd line. Perhaps he could provide a spark like Kreider did last year. Thing is, I doubt it, and if the organization decides that Boyle is best suited for 4th line duties and wants to go outside at the deadline to get a center... well, might as well go all out if you're planning on raising the Cup this ear.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I wouldn't move Miller + Thomas + for anyone at the deadline. The Rangers just dealt (4) pieces for Nash. The system isn't as well stocked as it was just a few years ago. The Rangers have their horses. McDonagh, Girardi, Staal, MDZ on defense, Hank in goal, Gaborik, Richards, Nash, Callahan up front.

I think we will see, possibly, a 3rd line C/winger brought in and a #5/6 d-man. That would compliment this team very well.

Looking to next season, the Rangers will have players like Hrivik (who the organization is very high on, and should be), Miller, Thomas, Bourque, Lindberg, Fast, McIlrath all vying for spots. This year the Rangers will be good. Next season, if some of those young players develop well and can make the next step, they have the opportunity to be a true powerhouse.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yeah we have enough big ticket pieces. Our success will be dependent on them performing to expectations and production from our secondary and role players. If we make a move it needs to be to bolster those latter two groups; and I don't want Miller, Thomas and picks going out for anything lass than a first line player.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Depth is definitely something I want addressed at the deadline. A third line winger and some capable spare hands. What was it, two players inactive before Stu Bickel or Steve Eminger were lined up at forward in the playoffs?

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I wouldn't move Miller + Thomas + for anyone at the deadline. The Rangers just dealt (4) pieces for Nash. The system isn't as well stocked as it was just a few years ago. The Rangers have their horses. McDonagh, Girardi, Staal, MDZ on defense, Hank in goal, Gaborik, Richards, Nash, Callahan up front.

I think we will see, possibly, a 3rd line C/winger brought in and a #5/6 d-man. That would compliment this team very well.

Looking to next season, the Rangers will have players like Hrivik (who the organization is very high on, and should be), Miller, Thomas, Bourque, Lindberg, Fast, McIlrath all vying for spots. This year the Rangers will be good. Next season, if some of those young players develop well and can make the next step, they have the opportunity to be a true powerhouse.

Yeah we have enough big ticket pieces. Our success will be dependent on them performing to expectations and production from our secondary and role players. If we make a move it needs to be to bolster those latter two groups; and I don't want Miller, Thomas and picks going out for anything lass than a first line player.

Depth is definitely something I want addressed at the deadline. A third line winger and some capable spare hands. What was it, two players inactive before Stu Bickel or Steve Eminger were lined up at forward in the playoffs?
I agree with all of this.

We really can't afford to trade anymore prospects. The pool is getting thin, but not so thin where it is useless. Miller is close. Thomas needs more work. Hrivik isn't too far off. McIlrath isn't far off either. Skjei needs more time as does Lindberg and Fast imo (latter too need the NA adjustment period). And this list to go along with some others. We shouldn't be shooting for or in need of anymore big ticket items as 2k2 put it. He is right. Nash was that big ticket item. Now we need depth. We can't have what happened last year with Bickel and Eminger being used at forward. And Bickel being benched in the playoff games playing with 5 defensemen.

I think Haley will make for a good depth forward as will Kolarik if we need a call up. But I would like to see a veteran 3rd line center as well as a #5/#6 defenseman. And no I don't want a slow footed Hal Gill or Pavel Kubina as many wanted last year. Kubina was pretty awful for the Flyers.

I think we're better off waiting until the deadline to see what teams are weeded out rather than speculating now because there could be a real gem out there that fits our team. But I know it is hard for many to resist.

And I will stand by the idea of Iginla. Trust me, I know it is not very realistic, but being that he has an expiring contract, is what 35?, has never won a cup....it's not too out of the realm of possibilities. Put him on a line with Hagelin. Find a center for them. Maybe even have Halpern slide in there (great faceoff guy).

ThurmNYY

Jan 25, 2007
The Lost City
nysportsboard.com
Giving up a late first rounder will NOT make us uncompetitive. A late first doesn't make it to the NHL 2/3 of the time anyway. When he does, he's usually a marginal player. The statistical odds of our 2014 first rounder turning into a difference making first liner are very slim, under 3%. Even the odds of him being a second liner are 10-15%.

I know people have high expectations of late first rounders because that's the best their team has, but they are just wrong. Even with the great drafting skills and knowledge of our scouts, we shouldn't expect our late firsts to turn into NHLers more than half the time.

I've got news for you: we'll be LUCKY if we are one-and-done. Very lucky. That's why I wanted to do a little longer rebuild. Instead of signing Brad two years ago to a long and massive contract, I wanted to trade Gaborik for blue-chip youth, and acquire (second round or lower) picks or mid-range prospects for Prospal, Avery and WW, as well as not to give up a pick for McCabe. This would've filled up our system enough that we'd have been able to go on a long run using our own home-grown players.

But everyone wanted to go for it immediately. You can't waste Lundqvist's years, I was told. We have to give him the Cup in 2012.

The result is that we have a two year window: 2013 and 2014. That's it. After that, Gaborik will be gone and Brad will merely be eating up a major chunk of our cap space while his play will (very likely) continuously go down as he's moving from his mid to his late 30s.

We'll be very lucky if we are one-and-done.

you make it seem as if we don't have any youth and gabby and richards have been a complete disaster.
the team got better since they have been here and i am sure nash will do the same.

richards is not that old in the sense where he will be dropping off any time soon and considering we have had many players go through their 30's and even 40's in the nhl i would think we have a little more then a 2 year window.

1994 was a win now team this team is a can win now and should be for a little longer then 2 more years.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

The cup is never ever guaranteed no matter how stacked a team is on paper. If NYR were to trade Miller, Thomas and a good pick, they'd be crippling the organization depth for a chance at a cup - not for a cup and a parade. You don't get to ask for your prospects/picks back after you fall short. I absolutely wouldn't trade those guys for Getzlaf. Also, I think this team is about as stacked as a team can realistically be with the cap as it is and as it's going to be for the next few years. You don't need two #1 centers like Richards and Getzlaf along with three top 6 wingers like Nash, Gaborik and Callahan AND three top pairing d-men in Staal, Girardi and McD. This team is as good as it's going to get maybe give or take one or two depth players. If they can't get it done with this lineup, it's not because they didn't have enough talent.

KreiMeARiver*

a solid, veteran D will be priority #1

Stu Bickel (and Eminger, for that matter) should be one of the modern-day "black aces", watching from the press box on any team winning a cup. No chance he is on the ice.

We NEED another solid D.

Scoring shouldn't be near the problem it has been in the past.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005

I would agree.

This team doesn't really need any more top 6 pieces at this point. I mean, if you get a tremendous bargain, you always do it, because legit top 6 players (in fact, top-10-in-the-league players like Nash) are just so hard to come by.

But I am not necessarily out shopping for one specifically.

Richards is a good (not great) #1 center. Stepan hopefully is (or soon will be) a very good #2 center. You've got two All-Star caliber wings in Nash and Gaborik. You've got a 20-30 goal lunch pail guy in Callahan who does all the dirty work in addition to being a scorer. Hell, even just adding a speed guy in Hagelin to round out that top 6 would be fine, but on top of that we are potentially adding in a Chris Kreider who could be anywhere from very good to near elite himself.

The top 6 is fine. The only thing I'd really, specifically go hunting for, if the opportunity came along, is a "franchise" center. But they very rarely hit the market. But conceivably, a guy like Joe Thornton in his prime, he was once traded. If a 26 or 27 year old version of him was out there, I'd want to pursue. The Rangers haven't had a true franchise center since..... Lindros? Messier?

But other than that, this team is fine in the top 6. I'd like to find another center for the bottom 6, maybe another winger, and a plus third pair defenseman.

Do that and this team is fine. And hell, if a guy like JT Miller develops quick, or Dylan McIlrath, it could be them. I wouldn't trade them away to get those pieces for sure.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
you make it seem as if we don't have any youth and gabby and richards have been a complete disaster.
the team got better since they have been here and i am sure nash will do the same.

richards is not that old in the sense where he will be dropping off any time soon and considering we have had many players go through their 30's and even 40's in the nhl i would think we have a little more then a 2 year window.

1994 was a win now team this team is a can win now and should be for a little longer then 2 more years.

Don't worry his analysis is quite egregious to say the least. I'm sorry you can't win with all home-grown players, at least not the ones we had. I love them to death but let's be serious here, you did not have true perennial players on the roster. You needed to add guys like Gaborik and then a guy like Richards. Callahan and Dubinsky were and are not snipers nor are they of the class of playmaking ability that richards is. They just weren't.

You cannot rebuild forever with the fear that your cupboard will be empty too soon and you'll have no prospects for the future. You can't manage an organization like that. Managing player movement so that you HOPE you can have a long run. You have to add the outside pieces to win a cup. I don;t think it has anything to do with "windows" as some fans here see it as with lundqvist. Henrik is the type of athlete that can play into his mid to late 30's like Brodeur and still be great. And Richards is no Drury. I think that is the true problem here. People still feel the pains of Drury. Drury never ever had the skill set richards does. And Drury was a smaller guy who was constantly giving up his body to block shots. It destroyed his body. Richards does not play that way.

They added Nash, they have a much more complete team. They have JT Miller on the horizon. I truly believe that after watching him play in the WJC. The kid has matured greatly since we drafted him. They still have their very large share of homegrown players that have been come "studs" to this organization. They all fit in like a puzzle. And while they may not be studs to other organizations, I do believe any of the other 29 teams would love to get their hands on the players we have.

You look at the clips from last year and who was scoring the game winners, the OT winners....there were a lot of richards and gaborik in those highlights. Management has made the right moves. They will be fine. Sather has really cleaned up his mistakes and he has a great supporting staff. The kinda staff that brings home a championship.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Kurtis Foster is still UFA I think. I know he's old and slow, but Bickel isn't exactly fleet of foot. He can play the right side and is a veteran. Is he an upgrade over what we have?

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Kurtis Foster is still UFA I think. I know he's old and slow, but Bickel isn't exactly fleet of foot. He can play the right side and is a veteran. Is he an upgrade over what we have?

I don't know 2k2. The game is so much faster now. Me personally, I hate to add slow footed guys. But even putting aside that, hasn't Foster been plagued by injuries in his career?

I think the best approach is to take a wait and see. Wait and see where our defense is at a couple weeks in. And if we are winning games, wait and see what's available as the deadline approaches.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I'd like to see Ryan Jones as a potential deadline acquisition.

Looking for potential 2nd pairing RD, looking pretty bleak. I like Smid, but I'm pretty sure he exclusively plays the left side. Visnovsky is a possibility that was mentioned before.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

Looking for potential 2nd pairing RD, looking pretty bleak. I like Smid, but I'm pretty sure he exclusively plays the left side. Visnovsky is a possibility that was mentioned before.

Isn't Visnovsky staying in the KHL? I actually wouldn't mind him at all. Nice shot to add to the 2nd PP unit.

Viktor Stalberg's name came up in the CT Whale thread (for stupid reasons from the main board), but regardless, he is a UFA to be. I don't think CHI would part with him BUT they just might given that their roster is around $65 million, and Stalberg is due for a raise. He'd be a great depth guy and he can skate like the wind.

Last edited:

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

Jones would be a really great pickup. Just the kind of player I'd be looking to add at the deadline.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Maybe the Rangers will bring in Jesse Winchester to camp? I remember hearing they were interested in him on July 1st. Would be a good depth signing.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

This is what we need. 2nd/3rd line tweener forward, and a depth defenseman.

I cant believe that people are pushing for an Iginla or Getzlaf, and are willing to empty the cupboard to get them. This team isnt potent enough with Richards, Gaborik, and Nash? Depth, depth, depth please.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I haven't heard anything to that effect.

Yeah there have been rumors the past couple days about him doing everything he can to stay with his team in the KHL. He doesn't want to play for the Islanders. Check their board...I feel bad for them, actually.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Players I could see the Rangers having interest in:

Morrow
Regehr
Clowe
Ryder
Scuderi
Weiss
Leopold
White
Murray
Ference
Smid
Higgins (maybe, depending on what happened behind closed doors when he was here)
Fedotenko
Jones
Nystrom
Lapierre
Stalberg

All of those guys are UFA's after this season

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Tomas Holmstrom is retiring. I've seen him mentioned in this thread to give an indication of how zany it has already gotten.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Players I could see the Rangers having interest in:

Morrow
Regehr
Clowe
Ryder
Scuderi
Weiss
Leopold
White
Murray
Ference
Smid
Higgins (maybe, depending on what happened behind closed doors when he was here)
Fedotenko
Jones
Nystrom
Lapierre
Stalberg

All of those guys are UFA's after this season

Not sure the Rangers have a whole lot to give up in trades. They gave up 4 assets in the Nash trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad