Speculation: Possible trade deadline acquisitions

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Just thowing some names out there to shore up the bottom defence for a Cup run.

Guys from teams that are not in direct contention with us.

Hainsey (Win)
Murray (SJ) We would have to over pay.
Smid (Edm)
Rozsival (Chi)
Aucoin (CBJ)
O'Bryne (Col)
Babchuk (Cal ) trainwreck? PPQB + Limited bottom 6 minutes?

I don't see much else on the FA to be list worth while

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Speak for yourself. I never bashed the Devils. That team destroyed a stacked Detroit team in the finals. They were playing their best hockey in May/June, which is all you can ask for.

A lot of Ranger fans tried to de-legitimize it, and they should feel like complete hypocrites if the Rangers make a run this season.

No.

Why just need to come up with a good argument for why the NJDs cup was worthless while our is legit. We got 5 month to come up with one.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Dallas has veteran 4 players that go UFA after this "season"

• Jaromir Jagr
  • Brendan Morrow
  • Derek Roy
  • Michael Ryder

I am sure they will be busy - if they are out of it at the deadline
These 4 players could go a long way as assets of a rebuild in Dallas. No? Maybe that was their plan all along?

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
This provision is definitely going to make the deadline more interesting if we have the correct details of it.

Bet you both the Rangers and the Blue Jackets are kicking themselves for making the Nash deal in the summer (obviously no one knew that this would be in the new CBA). Rangers could have gotten Nash at a lower cap hit and the Jackets could have kept some of Nash's hit to reach the floor while getting a better return for Nash due to them eating some of his cap hit.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012

• Jaromir Jagr
  • Brendan Morrow
  • Derek Roy
  • Michael Ryder

These 4 players could go a long way as assets of a rebuild in Dallas. No? Maybe that was their plan all along?

I actually never could make sense of a young team around Benn, Eriksson and potentially Bachmann acquiring Jagr and Roy. Calgary 2.0., denying that there's need to rebuild IMO. Your elaboration however makes a lot of sense. I'd guess the price for Ryder is too high, given his last year. I've no clue where we could fit in Jagr (I'd obviously love to see him in blue), plus he's getting up there in age, but he's still able to light up the opposition given the right linemates (watched him destroying the czech league together with Pleaknec several times this season). No need for Roy, as we already have Richards and Stepan and our Bottom-6 style doesn't fit his style. That leaves me with Morrow, who I think would make for a great 2nd/3rd line winger, depending on chemistry and how the Top-6 is doing. Would give a 2014 2nd and a mid-tier prospect. I don't think that would do it however, seeing as Gaustad snatched BUF a 1st last year :shakehead:.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
UFA Kristian Huselius was back playing in Sweden right before christmas, and as he can do from time to time, he looked like a million bucks and then some (easily on par with any NHLer in Europe). He stepped out of a game on 3 January and announced his retirement today. His old hip problems. It would be kind of interesting to see in what way his insurance situation was effected by playing 3 games in the SEL. Always a very intriguing talent, but possible the furthest from a Torts player in the hockey world.

I've never been a Huselius fan, in any way. But he is one of those players who when you see him at times, you really wonder what he could have done on a good team. With a good center. Or something like that. He scored almost a PPG on a very handcuffed Calgary team. At the same time, his shot drives you nuts... It can be extremely weak at times.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

• Jaromir Jagr
  • Brendan Morrow
  • Derek Roy
  • Michael Ryder

Wouldn't be opposed to kicking the tires on Michael Ryder. I think one of the reasons our PP suffers is the lack of a shooting threat from the right side. He's got a great one-timer and can score from the top of the circle if he has the time.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Wouldn't be opposed to kicking the tires on Michael Ryder. I think one of the reasons our PP suffers is the lack of a shooting threat from the right side. He's got a great one-timer and can score from the top of the circle if he has the time.

I like Ryder, but I would think Morrow would be the better choice considering his style of play and leadership style + his chemistry with Richards.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

I've wanted him for two seasons now.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I like Ryder, but I would think Morrow would be the better choice considering his style of play and leadership style + his chemistry with Richards.

I think this team has plenty of leadership up and down the roster. We've got, what, four players up front who have worn a 'C' at some point in their career? Plenty of leadership on the blueline as well.

I could see Ryder as a guy who comes in and just gives us enough of a threat on the PP to make teams second guess themselves when they try to overload on Gaborik or Nash. They can't both take one-timers from their off-wing on the same PP unit. Someone will have to switch. Let Stepan QB the 2nd unit from the half-boards.

Ryder - Cally/Boyle - Gaborik/Nash
Richards - MDZ

Stepan - Cally/Boyle - Nash/Gaborik
Stralman - McD/Girardi/Staal

Those are some pretty potent groups. Not many teams can roll out a 35+ goal scorer on their second unit.

Plus, Morrow is breaking down fast. He's having all sorts of issues with his body after years of playing a gritty game. Shades of where Cally might end up unfortunately.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I've wanted him for two seasons now.

Yep. I remember you mentioning him several times. Give him 3rd line minutes at ES and 1st unit PP time, or bump Callahan down to the 3rd line to give him a bit of a breather for the playoff push. Granted it's a shorter season, but every little bit helps. I know he can play the PP on his off-wing, but I'm not sure how well he does there historically at ES. If he can play there at ES as well, then by all means get him into the top-six. Nash, Gaborik, Cally, Ryder. How's that for a group of top-six wingers? Yowza.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Yep. I remember you mentioning him several times. Give him 3rd line minutes at ES and 1st unit PP time, or bump Callahan down to the 3rd line to give him a bit of a breather for the playoff push. Granted it's a shorter season, but every little bit helps. I know he can play the PP on his off-wing, but I'm not sure how well he does there historically at ES. If he can play there at ES as well, then by all means get him into the top-six. Nash, Gaborik, Cally, Ryder. How's that for a group of top-six wingers? Yowza.

Im all for it.

Chiefly because I worry about both Hagelin and Kreider's ability to consistently perform as top 6 forwards this season.

Assuming Del Zotto gets 2-3M, I was surprised to see how much cap space is left even with Redden on the books. Should be enough for 2 key depth acquisitions at both forward and defense.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

I think the leadership is there in droves. Too much leadership can sometimes be a bad thing.

If available, I think the foundation of this team is strong enough to take on a mercurial offensive threat if one becomes available - a Kovalev-type, but not the current 40 year old version of Kovalev. Its why I was interested in Radulov this summer.

Cliffy1814

Nov 10, 2011
Players I could see the Rangers having interest in:

Morrow
Regehr
Clowe
Ryder
Scuderi
Weiss
Leopold
White
Murray
Ference
Smid
Higgins (maybe, depending on what happened behind closed doors when he was here)
Fedotenko
Jones
Nystrom
Lapierre
Stalberg

All of those guys are UFA's after this season

Regehr or Murray on D.
Jones or Nystrom up front.

Of course it all depends on cost. You cannot give up a 1st rounder or top 5 prospect for any of these four.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Regehr or Murray on D.
Jones or Nystrom up front.

Of course it all depends on cost. You cannot give up a 1st rounder or top 5 prospect for any of these four.

Of course you can't. What will be interesting to see is if the shortened and condensed season keeps more teams in the playoff hunt. Teams might be buyers and sellers at the same time. Prices could be high for rentals with expiring contracts.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Players I could see the Rangers having interest in:

Morrow
Regehr
Clowe
Ryder
Scuderi
Weiss
Leopold
White
Murray
Ference
Smid
Higgins (maybe, depending on what happened behind closed doors when he was here)
Fedotenko
Jones
Nystrom
Lapierre
Stalberg

All of those guys are UFA's after this season

The bold are the players I think the rangers would actually have interest in.

Of the bold I'd choose to see Murray and Weiss. Stalberg I'd love to get with the intentions of re-signing him after the season.

And I still think Iginla makes that list.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Im all for it.

Chiefly because I worry about both Hagelin and Kreider's ability to consistently perform as top 6 forwards this season.

Assuming Del Zotto gets 2-3M, I was surprised to see how much cap space is left even with Redden on the books. Should be enough for 2 key depth acquisitions at both forward and defense.

A buffer in case one, or both, of those guys trip up certainly couldn't hurt.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
I think this team has plenty of leadership up and down the roster. We've got, what, four players up front who have worn a 'C' at some point in their career? Plenty of leadership on the blueline as well.

I could see Ryder as a guy who comes in and just gives us enough of a threat on the PP to make teams second guess themselves when they try to overload on Gaborik or Nash. They can't both take one-timers from their off-wing on the same PP unit. Someone will have to switch. Let Stepan QB the 2nd unit from the half-boards.

Ryder - Cally/Boyle - Gaborik/Nash
Richards - MDZ

Stepan - Cally/Boyle - Nash/Gaborik
Stralman - McD/Girardi/Staal

Those are some pretty potent groups. Not many teams can roll out a 35+ goal scorer on their second unit.

Plus, Morrow is breaking down fast. He's having all sorts of issues with his body after years of playing a gritty game. Shades of where Cally might end up unfortunately.

Nash has historically done best when he takes a beating in front of the net. He has slowly moved down from 10-11 PPGs a year to about 6.

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008
is Ryder available?

If Dallas falls out of the playoff race I don't see why not. Fortunately, they're very weak on defense and have an average forward group so it's certainly possible come April 5th they'll be out of the race. And Ryder is a free agent after this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad