Possible trade and roster fixes for the Wings, Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I wouldn't mind bringing Q back at the right price. He's been pretty decent for the past 20ish games. Far fewer mistakes than even guys like Ericsson and Kronwall lately. His shot selection and accuracy is still terribad, but defensively, he's improving. I hope anyway. He did this once last year too where he went through a decent stretch and then regressed again...

No more than 3.75M. But with the cap going up, I'm okay with that. Obviously I'd rather make an upgrade considering how much capspace we *should* have if Holland doesn't do something stupid, but I'll take what I can get at this point.

Couldn't disagree more. I say we either got for someone big, or sign a Tom Gilbert in the offseason. Why we didn't give Gilbert a look in the first place is beyond me.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Yeah, not a bad move. Zidlicky wouldn't want a long term deal, but maybe more money for a one year. So maybe 1 year 4 mill? He's not very good defensively, so you'd have to slot him with a solid dman like Ericsson.

Fayne, he'll probably looking at a 3 year deal in the 3 million range.

Kronwall-Dekeyser
Ericsson-Zidlicky
Smith-Fayne
Almquist-Lashoff

Not too bad, could be worse.

Exactly. We aren't going to get a stellar defense out of free agency, but there are moderate upgrades that can be made. Its a start.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Exactly. We aren't going to get a stellar defense out of free agency, but there are moderate upgrades that can be made. Its a start.

Would you rather bring in two guys or leave a spot open for a promotion from GR?Or even give Kindl/Lashoff/Almqvist a last chance to run with that #6 spot.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Would you rather bring in two guys or leave a spot open for a promotion from GR?Or even give Kindl/Lashoff/Almqvist a last chance to run with that #6 spot.

I'm torn with respect to Almqvist. I'd like to see him given a chance and I think he might still have the potential to surprise people.

I don't mind Lashoff as a #6/7 guy, but if it came down to Almqvist and Lashoff, I'd rather see Almqvist get his chance. Ideally, Lashoff is waived and passes through. Either that, or we roll with 8 defenseman. Although I'm not sure thats feasible given the logjam at forward.

With respect to Kindl, I want him traded. I was hoping he'd keep progressing this season, but he seems to have regressed. He's got ~200 games with the organization under his belt now, so I'm OK with moving on from him. With the weaknesses in our defense, we can't afford to spend any more time letting Kindl find his game, especially since we have Smith who is essentially doing the same thing, but is already better than Kindl on the offensive side of things and younger as well.

Personally, I'd like to see two veterans signed - one to replace Kindl, the other to replace Quincey. Its not that I don't think Ouellet or Marchenko are ready for the NHL - its much more a reflection on our defense as a whole. Ericsson is still unsure at times, Dekeyser will only be a sophomore, Smith is still working out his game; In other words, there isn't a whole lot of stability on this roster and I do worry about the younger guys picking up bad in-game habits from the squad as a whole.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm torn with respect to Almqvist. I'd like to see him given a chance and I think he might still have the potential to surprise people.

I don't mind Lashoff as a #6/7 guy, but if it came down to Almqvist and Lashoff, I'd rather see Almqvist get his chance. Ideally, Lashoff is waived and passes through. Either that, or we roll with 8 defenseman. Although I'm not sure thats feasible given the logjam at forward.

With respect to Kindl, I want him traded. I was hoping he'd keep progressing this season, but he seems to have regressed. He's got ~200 games with the organization under his belt now, so I'm OK with moving on from him. With the weaknesses in our defense, we can't afford to spend any more time letting Kindl find his game, especially since we have Smith who is essentially doing the same thing, but is already better than Kindl on the offensive side of things and younger as well.

Personally, I'd like to see two veterans signed - one to replace Kindl, the other to replace Quincey. Its not that I don't think Ouellet or Marchenko are ready for the NHL - its much more a reflection on our defense as a whole. Ericsson is still unsure at times, Dekeyser will only be a sophomore, Smith is still working out his game; In other words, there isn't a whole lot of stability on this roster and I do worry about the younger guys picking up bad in-game habits from the squad as a whole.

Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at with Lashoff/Almqvist/Kindl, too. Either tired of their lack of progress or leery of the question marks. Where I have a hard time with our blueline is with Dekeyser and Ericsson. I'm fine with either on the second pair, but I'm leery of either on the first pairing. I'm not a fan of them paired together, though. So where do they go?

What I'd like is having one on the second pair, and the other paired with Smith on the third pair. But then we're looking for two top4 D, and we've had a hard enough time landing just one of them.

I would normally be up for signing the one best D we can, then rolling with the leftovers for half a season before looking at the trade market to shore up the bottom third as needed. The trade market is so expensive, though, especially with Holland paying a premium lately.

I'd really like our offseason if we could sign one of Boyle/Markov/Zidlicky, and then turn Kindl + a prospect into another solid D in a trade.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005

The Wings will attempt to get a guy like Edler in a trade. Their top 4 looks like it's set for awhile now the way Smith is coming into his own. Marchenko and/or Oullet is going to get that 6th, 7th spot.

As things have transpired this season, there's not going to be a big turnover at all. The old guys will simply not be retained. I can see them making a play for a Moulson or a Vanek to put them into the elite discussion. Other than that, this team is well on their way back to being a top team with Zettetberg, Ericsson and Datsyuk returning. By this time next year, with another year under their belt, the sky really is the limit. Babcock always talks about taking your opportunity and never looking back. Every single guy is doing just that. Personally I'm very intrigued to see where Jurco is this time next year. His development has been nothing short of amazing. Particularly how good he's played defensively. He reminds me of a young Marion Hossa more than any guy I've seen the last ten years.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Should we sign Monster for another year or two? Been thinking about it for a few days now.

He'll leave if he can get more money and/or more promise of a starting role. I don't think he'll get that in Detroit. At this point Mrazek is ready to go and can handle 20-25 games next season.

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
Should we sign Monster for another year or two? Been thinking about it for a few days now.

I think you gotta move Mrazek up, he is completely owning the AHL and I just don't think he has anything more to learn up there in GR - I mean he has backstopped a championship team and will get another crack at the playoffs this year, he is leading the league by a quite comfy margin in GAA and his save % is top 3 or maybe top 2. He needs to be with the men sooner rather than later, and it is not like his NHL numbers are bad in the games he has been in so far.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
anything but calling Mrazek up next season would be madness.

Wouldn't say so.

I'd keep him down in AHL (where he can play all the time) and call up in NHL to play only for those games when Howard does not play.

Then some NHL back-up like Gustavsson could be signed just for an injury insurance.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
Goalies take a notoriously long time to mature mentally so they are consistent on a day to day basis. Additionally, their lifespan in the league and effective years goes much longer. They aren't like an explosive scoring winger where we begin to see drop off after 25-30. In fact, that's about the time they begin to hit their stride of their prime. There's not reason to rush him at this point.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Wouldn't say so.

I'd keep him down in AHL (where he can play all the time) and call up in NHL to play only for those games when Howard does not play.

Then some NHL back-up like Gustavsson could be signed just for an injury insurance.

This statement implies that EVERYONE thinks he should be here already.

I do not think this is true.

The statement implies nothing like that. It just states my exlusive view on things, simply said in a harsh tone.
Having him mostly practised with the Griffins so far is absolutely reasonable, as he could improve and gain essential first experiences.
But I don't really see the point why that shouldn't change next season. I'm just the oppinion that he makes the impression
of being ready to make the next step.

Especially if a trade of Gus would be on the table and a new back-up for Howard on the line.

Last edited:

ginnungagap

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site
Big if since who knows what's realistic as far as trades go but- with Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Weiss and now Sheahan being good options for the top three center spots (maybe I'm giving Weiss too much credit after the past couple seasons but history is on his side)- how would folks feel about moving Helm if a guy like Yakupov actually is available?

On the positive side Helm's value might never be higher- he's showing glimpses of being more of a 2/3 than the old "best third line center" in the league that Babcock used to talk about. Either way he's exactly the kind of young veteran presence Edmonton could use.

On the negative side Helm might actually be turning the corner and Yakupov might actually have a crap attitude and a future in the KHL.

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013
Big if since who knows what's realistic as far as trades go but- with Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Weiss and now Sheahan being good options for the top three center spots (maybe I'm giving Weiss too much credit after the past couple seasons but history is on his side)- how would folks feel about moving Helm if a guy like Yakupov actually is available?

On the positive side Helm's value might never be higher- he's showing glimpses of being more of a 2/3 than the old "best third line center" in the league that Babcock used to talk about. Either way he's exactly the kind of young veteran presence Edmonton could use.

On the negative side Helm might actually be turning the corner and Yakupov might actually have a crap attitude and a future in the KHL.

Personally, I've heard too much negative talk about Yak. Not a great locker room guy, plus it'd probably cost Helm+ an A prospect+ picks. And there's no such thing as too much center depth either. I'd just stick with Helm.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Helm is gonna be a winger in future years if we extend Legwand.

You can book it already. That era will start tomorrow.

Legwand has played wing before.

Why would it be a guarantee Helm will become a winger?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Too many centers.

Babcock wants bigger sized options in the middle (Sheahan and Legwand)

And Helm is not good at faceoffs anymore.

So pretty much it could be

1.Datsyuk(/Zetterberg)
2.Legwand
3.Sheahan
4.Glendening/Andersson

That pushes Helm to wing. He has played few games there, and looked phenomenal with his speed. Tomorrow he will be there again.

NyquistIsMyGod*

Pretty much, yes. Helm's better defensively and faster. Legwand being on the team doesn't mean Helm's going to be on the wing, which I think he could play well at as well.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Too many centers.

Babcock wants bigger sized options in the middle (Sheahan and Legwand)

And Helm is not good at faceoffs anymore.

So pretty much it could be

1.Datsyuk(/Zetterberg)
2.Legwand
3.Sheahan
4.Glendening/Andersson

That pushes Helm to wing. He has played few games there, and looked phenomenal with his speed. Tomorrow he will be there again.

I'm liking Luke right now. But Helm would be the best 4th line center in the league with Gator and Miller/Luke on the wing. Andersson can hit the waiver wire or be packaged with Kindl and prospects for an D upgrade.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

And he fits the Babcock mold for a winger on a skill line. He's been playing the net role on the PP. I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes the 1st line winger with D and Z.

Z-D-Legwand
Nyquist - Sheahan - Franzen
Tatar - Helm - Jurco
Miller - Weiss - Abdelkader

Weiss is overpaid, but whatever. That 4th line is pretty damn good. Forward depth is awesome. This is a lineup you could legitimately run 4 lines all night. Three of those are deadly scoring lines every single time they hit the ice.

Looking at those forward lines, I think it's extremely clear that "possible roster fixes" begin and end at the blueline. Fix the blueline and you're looking at a team that can hang with anybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca