Possible trade and roster fixes for the Wings, Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
imao Tatar, Sheahan and Jurco belong together, really enjoy to watch them play. To me they're quite a good example for the Wings' future.
Just as Nyquist is. Honestly spoken, won't be too keen on seeing one of them go - in disregard of other prospect's potential.

wingsfan33

Jun 12, 2013
2014 ufa defensemen

Now that we just basically gave away jarnkrok for free if we wanna trade for a top 4dman thanks to holland it will basically cost us another top prospect or 2 as well until our d prospects are ready and I don't know about you but I don't lose something like pulkkinen and Tatar as well

So I decided to check the ufa list(keeps getting weaker every year) and here are a few names

Andrew Markov - likely to stay in mtl though

Matt niskanen (think he's overrated)

Dan Boyle - likely stays in sj

Brooks orpik - maybe depending on yrs and money

Andrew McDonald - same as orpik

Henrik tallinder (maybe on a 1yr deal)

That's about it that I see on the list

http://www.capgeek.com/ufa-finder/?position_id=D

Anybody like anything there?

crashman

Now that we just basically gave away jarnkrok for free if we wanna trade for a top 4dman thanks to holland it will basically cost us another top prospect or 2 as well until our d prospects are ready and I don't know about you but I don't lose something like pulkkinen and Tatar as well

So I decided to check the ufa list(keeps getting weaker every year) and here are a few names

I'd replace Quincey with Orpik. I hear his play has fallen off quite a bit, but he's still a pretty tough defenseman and we don't have any of those at the moment. I'd go for Tallinder if Orpik becomes unavailable.

I'm still hoping Holland can work out a reasonable trade for Edler at the draft, but there's really no other good defenseman I can see being available this summer.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

Zidlicky? Fayne? Hainsey? Gilbert? Stralman? Timonen? Morris? Robidas?

The UFA class may be weak, but our defensive depth is weaker. While it would be nice to upgrade on Kronwall, Ericsson, or Dekeyser via free agency, there is still a ton of improvement that could be made over Quincey, Kindl, or Lashoff.

For example:

Kronwall - Ericsson
DeKeyser - Zidlicky
Robidas - Smith

That'd be worlds better than the crap we put out there nightly right now.

wingsfan33

Jun 12, 2013
I'd replace Quincey with Orpik. I hear his play has fallen off quite a bit, but he's still a pretty tough defenseman and we don't have any of those at the moment. I'd go for Tallinder if Orpik becomes unavailable.

I'm still hoping Holland can work out a reasonable trade for Edler at the draft, but there's really no other good defenseman I can see being available this summer.

God just the thought of what holland would give up to get edler if he gave away jarnkrok for a ufa Ughh .... Think I'd rather try and get a good defensemen capable of helping and won't cost us too much till our kids are ready

Gotta think out of backman ouellet backman marchenko were gonna have a stud d or 2 (at least I hope)

The we still got Jensen and De haas McKee mcnulty nedomlel Wheaton are all big guys , gotta hope just 1 turns out to be something good

What about like kulikov from Florida? Can't cost too much and he plays 20 mins a night in Florida (we'd probably need to 3rd team to make that deal happen)

wingsfan33

Jun 12, 2013
Zidlicky? Fayne? Hainsey? Gilbert? Stralman? Timonen? Morris? Robidas?

The UFA class may be weak, but our defensive depth is weaker. While it would be nice to upgrade on Kronwall, Ericsson, or Dekeyser via free agency, there is still a ton of improvement that could be made over Quincey, Kindl, or Lashoff.

For example:

Kronwall - Ericsson
DeKeyser - Zidlicky
Robidas - Smith

That'd be worlds better than the crap we put out there nightly right now.

3ufa's? I'd still like to see almquist get a shot even with his small frame , I think he could really help us on the 2nd ppl unit

Maybe we can get someone in a trade involving kindl? I'm sure some moves will be made I can't see us keeping both weiss and legwand , and lashoff doesn't bother me too much he makes cheap money so he's useful to stick around I guess and has size?

Kindl + for kulikov?

Kronwall Ericsson

Dekeyser orpik

Smith kulikov/tallinder

Almquist /lashoff?

Then in 2-3yrs if sproul ouellet turn out to be as good as we hope we ship off smith/kulikov/almquist

Johnz96*

3ufa's? I'd still like to see almquist get a shot even with his small frame , I think he could really help us on the 2nd ppl unit

Maybe we can get someone in a trade involving kindl? I'm sure some moves will be made I can't see us keeping both weiss and legwand , and lashoff doesn't bother me too much he makes cheap money so he's useful to stick around I guess and has size?

Kindl + for kulikov?

Kronwall Ericsson

Dekeyser orpik

Smith kulikov/tallinder

Almquist /lashoff?

Then in 2-3yrs if sproul ouellet turn out to be as good as we hope we ship off smith/kulikov/almquist

I think Smith could really help the 2nd PP as well.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
What the Wings need to do is to figure out a way to deal some of these plethora of young dman/ d prospects and get another established top 4 dman.

I mean we essentially have four spots (since Kronner and Ericsson are signed for quite awhile) to fill and all of Jensen, Marchenko, Almquist, Smith, Dekeyser, Sproul, Oulette, Backman, Lashoff, and Kindl to fill them. The problem is that only really Dekeyser has established himself as a legit dman, and even he has rookie brainfarts. Ideally the Wings would create a package of these dmen to get a top pairing or at least top 4 dman that is in the 26-30 age range.

Finding this gap age dman, I think is essential if the Wings want to avoid a full on rebuild and compete while Z and Dats are still star level players. They also need to do it without giving up their forward prospects because they are already crucial in the Wings system. Wings need to trade D for D and forwards for forwards if they are going to make moves.

wingsfan33

Jun 12, 2013
I'd think twice before dealing marchenko ouellette backman and sproul though , could end up really costing us down the road

If we resign legwand and could somehow fish in the canucks to take in weiss in an edler type deal maybe we can do something but I don't see who's willing to trade top 4dmen?

Which teams might be willing to trade a top 4 d or a good young defensive prospect?

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Sure, prospects like Marchenko, Sproul, Ouellet and eventually Backman should be out of such a deal actually.
But generally i'm with him on rather trading D-men for D-men. As i said, couldn't bear to trade a Tatar, Jurco or Sheahan for a top 4 D-man.

wingsfan33

Jun 12, 2013
So who can we trade ? Depending who we got I'd consider giving up smith .... Besides that's there's kindl and lashoff, weiss(cause of legwand)

Patterson , Ferraro, athanasiou are the main prospects I might consider

And I do think marchenko might be able to step into the lineup next season and help out

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere

Orpik is bad. Just stay away from him.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I'd think twice before dealing marchenko ouellette backman and sproul though , could end up really costing us down the road

If we resign legwand and could somehow fish in the canucks to take in weiss in an edler type deal maybe we can do something but I don't see who's willing to trade top 4dmen?

Which teams might be willing to trade a top 4 d or a good young defensive prospect?

As long as the Wings pick the right ones to keep I don't think it will be an issue because even if you trade two of those four that still leaves the Wings with Kronwall, Ericsson, Smith, Dekeyser, whoever you deal for and 2 of the 4. Thats 7 likely NHL Dmen. (Also ignores Jensen, Ned, Lashoff, Kindl and Almquist) As much as I really like those 4, keeping them all doesn't make sense because they are all at about the same point development wise. The Wings will never have 4 rookie dmen entering the lineup at once and really we won't have room for all 4 even if we did. I mean I'm against holding off another year for them to gain more trade value, but thats another year of Z & Dats down the drain.

If you can make a trade for a legit youngish top 4 dman and give up a couple of the d prospects, you do it. The Wings won't be able to afford all of these depth when they get good anyhow due to the cap.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Decision who to give up isn't so easy as it's hard to foresee who of the aforementioned prospects
(Marchenko, Ouellette, Sproul, Backman, ...) would make the best choice(s) for the prospective rooster.

So, either u improve that judgement by giving them a chance to prove themselves in order to know
on whom it's worth to rely on or u risk to trade "one" of the other guys (Lashoff, Kindl, Smith, ...).

wingsfan33

Jun 12, 2013
Decision who to give up isn't so easy as it's hard to foresee who of the aforementioned prospects
(Marchenko, Ouellette, Sproul, Backman, ...) would make the best choice(s) for the prospective rooster.

So, either u improve that judgement by giving them a chance to prove themselves in order to know
on whom it's worth to rely on or u risk to trade "one" of the other guys (Lashoff, Kindl, Smith, ...).

Ya I would definitely trade kindl smith lashoff before any of those 4 prospects , I realize et won't be enough but I'd throw in another mid level prospect type player and Andersson type +2nd rounder

If we don't have enough to get a top end dman then so be it if we gave up jarnkrok for a 33yr old then I'd hate to see who we give up now

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
What would you like to see the team do in the offseason?

I'm not trying to be premature or anything, but I'm just curious what you think our prerogative should be in the off season? Who should we trade/buy out/re-sign? One thing is for certain, we have a log jam at offense, we have Monster's contract expiring in net, and we have holes all over the blue line with unproven players still developing in Europe and Grand Rapids. Perhaps I should go first:

-I don't think we should buy out Weiss yet, I want to give him one more season.
-Probably should re-sign Legwand in light of all the injuries this year.
-Sheahan and Jurco should be full time Red Wings.
-We should seriously consider not bringing back Alfredsson.
-We should seriously consider trading Helm, Kindl, and Smith. While Helm is very good, we have a log jam down the middle and he is oft injured.
-We need to spear head some sort of top 4 defenseman, whether it's someone like Niskanen, Edler, Ehrhoff, or someone.
-Mrazek full time back up? Maybe.
-Mantha in Grand Rapids with call ups to Detroit. Will play with Pulkkinen
-Callahan or Ferraro should be an extra forward for us.
-Almquist should also be a full time Wing whether it be a 6 or 7 guy.
-Quincey's gotta go.

Anyway, I dunno, what do you wanna see this off season from our club?

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I'm not trying to be premature or anything, but I'm just curious what you think our prerogative should be in the off season? Who should we trade/buy out/re-sign? One thing is for certain, we have a log jam at offense, we have Monster's contract expiring in net, and we have holes all over the blue line with unproven players still developing in Europe and Grand Rapids. Perhaps I should go first:

-We should seriously consider trading Helm, Kindl, and Smith. While Helm is very good, we have a log jam down the middle and he is oft injured.
-We need to spear head some sort of top 4 defenseman, whether it's someone like Niskanen, Edler, Ehrhoff, or someone.
-Quincey's gotta go.

Offensively we should be fine, We need to upgrade our defense big time. And if we miss the playoffs I'm pretty sure that Ken Holland will go that route! Ferraro is out of waiver options next season so either he's on the team or we waive him and the same thing for Almquist he's also out of options so he should be up next season! I have mixed emotions either way about bringing back Alfie I wouldn't mind bringing him back one more season if the price was right.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

-Quincey's gotta go.

I could care less what happens with the forwards, unless it handcuffs us cap-wise in overhauling the defense. I want to see a smart puck-mover on this roster and a solid character defenseman who hopefully has a penchant for blocking shots and clearing creases. I would be happy enough if we poached New Jersey's defense and took on Zidlicky and Fayne in place of Kindl and Quincey.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
I could care less what happens with the forwards, unless it handcuffs us cap-wise in overhauling the defense. I want to see a smart puck-mover on this roster and a solid character defenseman who hopefully has a penchant for blocking shots and clearing creases. I would be happy enough if we poached New Jersey's defense and took on Zidlicky and Fayne in place of Kindl and Quincey.

Yeah, not a bad move. Zidlicky wouldn't want a long term deal, but maybe more money for a one year. So maybe 1 year 4 mill? He's not very good defensively, so you'd have to slot him with a solid dman like Ericsson.

Fayne, he'll probably looking at a 3 year deal in the 3 million range.

Kronwall-Dekeyser
Ericsson-Zidlicky
Smith-Fayne
Almquist-Lashoff

Not too bad, could be worse.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I wouldn't mind bringing Q back at the right price. He's been pretty decent for the past 20ish games. Far fewer mistakes than even guys like Ericsson and Kronwall lately. His shot selection and accuracy is still terribad, but defensively, he's improving. I hope anyway. He did this once last year too where he went through a decent stretch and then regressed again...

No more than 3.75M. But with the cap going up, I'm okay with that. Obviously I'd rather make an upgrade considering how much capspace we *should* have if Holland doesn't do something stupid, but I'll take what I can get at this point.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I wouldn't mind bringing Q back at the right price. He's been pretty decent for the past 20ish games. Far fewer mistakes than even guys like Ericsson and Kronwall lately. His shot selection and accuracy is still terribad, but defensively, he's improving. I hope anyway. He did this once last year too where he went through a decent stretch and then regressed again...

No more than 3.75M. But with the cap going up, I'm okay with that. Obviously I'd rather make an upgrade considering how much capspace we *should* have if Holland doesn't do something stupid, but I'll take what I can get at this point.

Inconsistent defenseman that provides 0 offense?

No thank you.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Re work this god awful defense should priority number 1.

Kronwall, Ericsson, and Dekeyser should be the only three assured spots.

Quincey should be gone as he is neither a good offensive or defensive dman.

Kindl & Smith are both offensive dmen that aren't allowed to play offensi3 vely and are pretty horrid defensively, so I'd be ok dealing one or both if we can land a legit offensive dman.

Lashoff is a solid 6/7 guy and makes little, so he gives us a solid depth option.

I think Marchenko/ Oulette should be given a long look for the 3rd pair. While we can run a lineup with 4 offensive rookies, you can't do that on defense and compete. The Wings need to start to work these guys into the lineup, so we don't have another Smith situation where he is thrown into the top 4 and clearly isn't ready.

So basically I do anything I can to bring in the top 4 PP QB type and then I also bring in a vet defensive dman to compete with Lashoff for the 7th spot to be paired with either Oulette or Marchenko. I'd completely fine dealing Kindl and Smith to upgrade that position.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

No. Just last night he made a horrific giveaway to an incoming Kane in our own zone and then clipped Smith's skate when Hossa was on a breakaway, causing Smith to eat it and fall back on the play. And that was Quincey on a good night.

Its insane how far people's standards have dropped when they want to bring Quincey back all because he's looked like an NHL defenseman for ~20 games. Especially at nearly $4M when he brings absolutely nothing special to the lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad