Friedman: Possible Mathew Barzal Offer Sheet

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Actually the first one who said this was bizznasty on chiclets. He claimed to have inside info weeks ago.

sooooo. More anti-isles bull%^%* from Arizona.... get f***ed barstool?

Biz technically didn't bring up the offer sheet possibility, but he did bring up that he might have inside info that Barzal does not like playing in Trotz' defensive system that limits him offensively. It hurts Barzal on the ice, fun wise (loose argument) and in his pocket because he does not have the points to show for his offensive prowess.

That is the far scarier info to come out of Chiclets regarding Barzy. Biz has hung out with him on a number of occasions so his "inside info" may be from Mathew himself...

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
How many teams can fit a 9mil contract. Not many. Isles match it anyway.
Seems like clickbait

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Who's offer-sheeting him? It just doesn't make sense to give players $10m+. Very few teams have the wiggle room to make that fit without compromising other parts of their roster.
Detroit could do it in a heartbeat.

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
Who's offer-sheeting him? It just doesn't make sense to give players $10m+. Very few teams have the wiggle room to make that fit without compromising other parts of their roster.

Offer-sheeting is more appealing to poach depth players IMO. If teams really wanted a guy like Kapanen last summer, that was a realistic option.

The Avs have the cap room to give up 4 late firsts and take on a 10+ million contract

Reactions: Noldo and YP44

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I believe the offersheet dam is soon to break. Once one team does a bigger one, more will follow suit. In the past, front offices were made of exclusively of the old boys club type. This was a group that lived by the "unwritten rules", so didnt offersheet because this would drive up prices of younger players, while also pissing off their buddies running other teams. If said GM then got fired, itd be harder to find a gig in another front office.

Alot of the old guard still in front offices were around for the time where there was no free agency. The thought of offersheets is likely crazy to them

But now front offices are made up of people who are more brash and willing to take calculated risks. Offersheets will inevitably become more common

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Friedman and other like insiders will always hype up the offseason. Offer sheets, trades, all coming guys...stay tuned...

I'm in the wrong business.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Like last year right? More anti-Isles bullshit from Toronto, get f***ed Sportsnet

They spent all last year talking about Marner's offersheets, and Matthews before him. Are they anti-Toronto as well?

They're not anti-anyone, they're pro-"give me a story to write". Barzal is the biggest upcoming RFA this summer so he's in the crosshairs.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
When the Leafs inevitably sign Barzal, are they expecting McDavid to sign an extreme home-town discount of league-minimum?

Or are they expecting the cap go up $12-15million in that time?

Reactions: Auston Escobar

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
If Brayden Point didn't get an offer sheet when Tampa was back up against the cap, no one in this league is getting an offer sheet.

More BS for clicks.

Lou is probably hoping Bergevin sends Barzal an offer sheet so he can end the negotiation quickly.

IIRC there was some talk that teams had reached out to his camp but he said he wasn't interested. It's a two-way street, if the player isn't interested then you're not going to hear much about it. That doesn't mean that teams weren't willing to make an offer.

The Andrew Peeke Fan

Feb 26, 2020
I've seen people suggest Barzal may be in some way displeased playing under Trotz, but I really doubt that; that's the only factor I could see in him having the desire to leave, even on something slightly higher than the Isles might match. Even Friedman mentioned that he doesn't think the reduced production will influence the bottom line for his next deal, anyhow. I get the feeling he's happy with the Isles, and like pretty much everyone has said, they'd probably match max. He's an instantly recognizable impact center, and very young. I guess teams have done stupider things, the Bruins didn't take him, for instance, but no way he's anything but an Islander for the foreseeable future.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Friedman and other like insiders will always hype up the offseason. Offer sheets, trades, all coming guys...stay tuned...

They are in the business of reporting on what they are hearing. If a team is 95% in on doing an offersheet, it is in the works for months, and on the last day it falls apart for an unforeseen reason- does Friedmans credibility take a hit if he reported on the rumors?

Hockey is entertainment, and fans get entertainment from seeing potential rumors. Are we better off if you only ever see the successful moves?

Reactions: Curufinwe

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Barzal signing on Offerhseet also doesnt mean he necessarily wants out of NYI. He could be doing it purely for the $ and hoping NYI matches and he stays there. I definitely do agree with Elliott that Lou really hasnt done a massive contract for this type of star young player in a while. And the last time he did one, it was a completely different landscape. Young players just accepted that they were going to get paid till UFA and that was that. However, now you have tons and tons of comparable players- alot which signed massive RFA deals.

So alot of this depends on Lou and whether he still has the old school mentality, or whether hes willing to pay more $ to an RFA. I expect Barzal to stay in NYI for a reasonable contract (7.5 to 8.5 over a 5 year deal). But an OS would surprise me

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

There are a lot of trades.

The Flyers alone traded for Hayes, Niskanen and Braun last offseason. Now they're the 4th best team in the NHL.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Apparently Friedman made this comment about the upcoming negotiations with Barzal

" I believe the offer sheets will come''

I don't know if he went further into it but this could be an interesting story in the summer

He made it sound like Columbus presented Marner with an offer sheet as well but they could not agree on term.

Was a key take away for me as you never hear of the the offer sheets that do not get signed. I wonder how many different almost signings there actually are

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Biz technically didn't bring up the offer sheet possibility, but he did bring up that he might have inside info that Barzal does not like playing in Trotz' defensive system that limits him offensively. It hurts Barzal on the ice, fun wise (loose argument) and in his pocket because he does not have the points to show for his offensive prowess.

That is the far scarier info to come out of Chiclets regarding Barzy. Biz has hung out with him on a number of occasions so his "inside info" may be from Mathew himself...

sounded like he was just assuming that a player of Barzal's offensive instincts may not want to be in a defensive system to me. I also think it maybe a safe assumption.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
There's simply no way a team that just lost their old franchise player two years ago and is opening a new arena in a year will ever let Barzal go as a RFA.

Islanders will match anything, which is a bit concerning since Barzal really isn't a $10+M player, at least at this point of his career.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Don't know much about Barzal but what is his potential? if he was making 10m+ would he be worth it in a few years?

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Barzal signing on Offerhseet also doesnt mean he necessarily wants out of NYI. He could be doing it purely for the $ and hoping NYI matches and he stays there. I definitely do agree with Elliott that Lou really hasnt done a massive contract for this type of star young player in a while. And the last time he did one, it was a completely different landscape. Young players just accepted that they were going to get paid till UFA and that was that. However, now you have tons and tons of comparable players- alot which signed massive RFA deals.

So alot of this depends on Lou and whether he still has the old school mentality, or whether hes willing to pay more $ to an RFA. I expect Barzal to stay in NYI for a reasonable contract (7.5 to 8.5 over a 5 year deal). But an OS would surprise me

Lou is a very interesting angle in all this. His "my way or the highway" approach is pretty well known. Does Barzal risk an offer sheet if Lou is potentially not going to sign it out of spite?

Before people jump on me, I know this is all very unlikely regardless, but it's an interesting discussion topic.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Sorokin is coming to replace Greiss. Komarov will be bought out.

And worse comes to worse, Leddy is moveable.

Team is in fine position capwise.
Capfriendly shows the Islanders with $12.6MM in cap space next year with 18 players signed. If someone offered him $10MM a year, the Islanders would have some interesting maneuvering to do to get under the cap.

Reactions: Morrison

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
When the Leafs inevitably sign Barzal, are they expecting McDavid to sign an extreme home-town discount of league-minimum?

Or are they expecting the cap go up $12-15million in that time?
The Oilers are going to take back half of the Leafs contracts in return along with eatin 75% of McDavid's contract just to make that deal happen.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Capfriendly shows the Islanders with $12.6MM in cap space next year with 18 players signed. If someone offered him $10MM a year, the Islanders would have some interesting maneuvering to do to get under the cap.
Not really that interesting.

12M in cap space after replacing Greiss with Sorokin. And that's a low end estimate of the cap.
A Komarov buyout puts it at 13M.

If someone pushes the Barzal contract high, we just trade Leddy (+5.5M in cap space) and/or Cizikas (+3.5M in cap space). Both valuable players who would be wanted on the trade market considering neither one has an anchor contract.

Really isn't that confusing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad