Friedman: Possible Mathew Barzal Offer Sheet

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Did not intend it to be bait, I apologise for any confusion. Figured it could be a discussion thread, FWIW I figure the Islanders match anything as well. I would be curious to see/ discuss the teams that would go after a player of his caliber.
I don't think they match anything that's worth four 1sts. That'd be what, 11.5 a season? Do you know how many grinders Lou could get for that? We're talking two-three more 3rd/4th liners!!!!11!!!!!!111

Seriously, I think if a team offers the max for 2 1sts, 1 2nd, 1 3rd compensation the Isles match it and move on.

If it's four 1sts I would take the picks, have Lou hand over the franchise to his kid and rebuild while Belmont is being constructed.

Reactions: TheGooooch

Nervousbreakdown

Jul 3, 2017
Like last year right? More anti-Isles bullshit from Toronto, get f***ed Sportsnet
See i'm torn because I hate sportsnet and the Toronto hockey media too but at the same time, was it really anti-isles as much as its just click bait?

We should definitely see more offersheets but this league is awful and the GMs are dumb dumbs.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
If Brayden Point didn't get an offer sheet when Tampa was back up against the cap, no one in this league is getting an offer sheet.

More BS for clicks.

Lou is probably hoping Bergevin sends Barzal an offer sheet so he can end the negotiation quickly.

dukeofjive

Jul 7, 2013
whistler b.c
This smells of bargin bin going all in for another low ball offer so he can tell the fans hes trying is best or some garbage like that.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Unless someone makes an utterly ridiculous offer, Long Island matches without a second thought. And what team could both reasonably afford something like 14M+ and giving up four first round picks to do it?

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Anaheim offers 10.5x5 (I'm sure gets matched).

Dream scenario:

Lafreniere-Getzlaf-Terry
Zegras-Barzal-Silfverberg
Henrique-Steel-Heinen
Milano-Lundestrom-Backes

Reactions: Koudou

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
No player is unless the team giving up those picks is, somehow, in "if we don't win a Cup in the next few seasons, the franchise folds" territory.

Assuming the team that makes the offer sheet assumes they are going to be a playoff contender for the foreseeable future, the firsts would be late firsts. Especially with the added security of it being 4 of the next 5 firsts and not having to the 4 in a row.

Using the 24th OA as a random example (use whatever pick you'd like)

Would you take

2018 – Filip Johansson, D, Wild
2017 – Kristian Vesalainen, RW, Jets
2016 – Max Jones, LW, Ducks
2015 – Travis Konecny, C, Flyers
2014 – Jared McCann, C, Canucks
2013 – Hunter Shinkaruk, C/RW, Canucks
2012 – Malcolm Subban, G, Bruins
2011 – Matt Puempel, LW, Senators

4 of those over Barzal? I wouldn't.

You can do the same with any number after 20 and (with the exception of perhaps 25 with Pasta etc) I would take Barzal over 4 late firsts anyday

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Look while I think this is just the media stirring the pot if I was a GM I would look at this as a tool.

The issue I have is the outrageous numbers the media was throwing out which is completely irresponsible. I can remember hearing 14 million for Matthews, 13 for Marner.... what a crock of $*#T.

MB placed an offersheet and Aho agreed to it. Canes easily matched and said thanks for getting us Aho signed for so cheap. It won’t be that way next time. I could easily see MB throwing a 11-11.5 million dollar offersheet at PLD. They will front load the hell out of the deal to make the CBJ really sweat it. They have the Cap Space and the picks to afford 4 first rounders. The organization has the second best farm system according to many and adding a bonafide 1C would transform the team. They could easily reshuffle the deck chairs to get 1st pairing LHD given their picks and players in the system.

As said the issue I have is when the media reports outrageous numbers, it only drives players delusional beliefs in their self worth and wreaks havoc on the salary cap.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
If Brayden Point didn't get an offer sheet when Tampa was back up against the cap, no one in this league is getting an offer sheet.

More BS for clicks.

Lou is probably hoping Bergevin sends Barzal an offer sheet so he can end the negotiation quickly.
I thought Montreal offer sheeted him?

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
We saw one last summer and that was quickly matched (essentially matched the second it was signed, but obviously Carolina made the Habs wait until the deadline). I mean, its possible but outside of some outrageous offer the Isles are going to quickly match.

The Habs' offer was embarrassing- a team needs to offer at least a realistic amount if not overpay.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
If you want to sign him, it's basically a given that you HAVE to go seven years, which means a cap hit of 7,6 million means giving up four firsts.

Aho signed for 5 though.

I'm sure Barzal would gladly take 10.5x5 and a chance to cash in as a 28 year old UFA

I think the isles match anything up to the 10.5ish tier and let him walk if its 11+ and four 1sts

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Assuming the team that makes the offer sheet assumes they are going to be a playoff contender for the foreseeable future, the firsts would be late firsts. Especially with the added security of it being 4 of the next 5 firsts and not having to the 4 in a row.

Would you take

You can do the same with any number after 20 and (with the exception of perhaps 25 with Pasta etc) I would take Barzal over 4 late firsts anyday

I would. Konecny is pretty close to Barzal and is looking at a 30g/75pt season

Konecny+McCann+ Jones + 2019 pick Tomasino (100pts this year OHL) over Barzal easily, especially when Barzal is about to make double konecnys 5.5mil sweetheart deal

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
10 mill per season for 8 years? That's not bad. Cap will go up.

I think the arguement used is that he can receive an offer sheet at 10.8 (or wherever four 1sts winds up being $-wise) and he's never been much of a goal-scorer vs his comparables so 10 would be "good".

I'm sure his agent's argument will use what you posted, which is the cap will go up so should his salary.

I really don't think there will be much of an issue though. Even with the fact the Isles will need to do something trade-wise to offset the raises due to Pulock, Barzal and Toews they should be in good shape.

Offer-sheeting Pulock would be more realistic. If someone's idiotic enough to offer 8 per for him I think the Isles would walk away. Not saying it's the right idea (either for a team to offer that or for the Isles to match) but it would cause the organization to step back and really assess what to do with him.

Personally, love Pulock and would hate to lose him.

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
Maybe. But they've already got $63m committed next season and still need to sign Domi.

$18m already tied up in Weber and Price.

My point is that it's kind of foolish tomorrow up your salary like that. Better off just using those assets and developing a competitive roster.
Cap going to 84$ish and alzner is part of the $63m. Yeah Bergevin only has $21m to $25m with sixteen players signed

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007

Would you take

how about Sherbeck, , McCarron, Juulsen and Leblanc? you could add Tinordi

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Is it just me or is Friedman getting more click baity?

“Could Joe Thornton be a Toronto maple leaf” was the one that had me start thinking it and this barzal one too now.

Reactions: Ciao

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad