Friedman: Possible Mathew Barzal Offer Sheet

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
There are 3 studs(hall, alex p., Krug) in fa and a lot of nice afterwords. So you can decide to not sign the TJ Brodie, Mike Hoffman, Tyson Barrie's,etc types out there, offer a big offer sheet to Barzal and get nothing in free agency but egg on your face. OH GOODIE!

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Knew it was a shit thread title.
But looking at the Isles cap situation, something is gonna have to give.
Assuming the cap is 85m for 2020-21, the Isles have 13.5m in space to
- Sign RFA Barzal
- Sign RFA Pulock (25-years-old, won't be a bridge)
- Sign RFA Toews (26-years-old, won't be a bridge)
- Replace/re-sign Greiss
- Extend Pelech (Still 1 year before RFA)
Word was that they wanted to push through the Ladd/Parise deal this summer, so that's a net cap add too.
Even if they don't add Parise, and let all their UFAs walk, there's not enough cap to go around.
And it's not like the best candidates: Ladd (NMC), Komarov (NTC), Boychuck (NTC), Eberle (NTC) have movable contracts.

Reactions: Merrrlin

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
- Sign RFA Barzal
- Replace/re-sign Greiss
Word was that they wanted to push through the Ladd/Parise deal this summer, so that's a net cap add too.
Even if they don't add Parise, and let all their UFAs walk, there's not enough cap to go around.
And it's not like the best candidates: Ladd (NMC), Komarov (NTC), Boychuck (NTC), Eberle (NTC) have movable contracts.

Komorov will likely be bought out, and if Ladd can't be moved he will end up on Lou Island. Leddy will likely be moved also.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Who's offer-sheeting him? It just doesn't make sense to give players $10m+. Very few teams have the wiggle room to make that fit without compromising other parts of their roster.

Offer-sheeting is more appealing to poach depth players IMO. If teams really wanted a guy like Kapanen last summer, that was a realistic option.
The Habs

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I mean it’s certainly possible, but Barzal compliments the other two Islanders’ centers that are locked up long term pretty well. Retaining him long term is a priority.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
NYI will match anything.

If you want to start the NYI Barzal fear mongering, at least wait until the year before UFA.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
- Sign RFA Barzal
- Replace/re-sign Greiss
Sorokin is coming to replace Greiss. Komarov will be bought out.

And worse comes to worse, Leddy is moveable.

Team is in fine position capwise.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
Like last year right? More anti-Isles bullshit from Toronto, get f***ed Sportsnet
Overreact much?

If he gets an offer sheet, unless it's stupid, the Isles will match. Everyone knows this. And that's if he signs it in the first place.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Like last year right? More anti-Isles bullshit from Toronto, get f***ed Sportsnet

Actually the first one who said this was bizznasty on chiclets. He claimed to have inside info weeks ago.

sooooo. More anti-isles bull%^%* from Arizona.... get f***ed barstool?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Maybe. But they've already got $63m committed next season and still need to sign Domi.

$18m already tied up in Weber and Price.

My point is that it's kind of foolish to tie up your salary like that. Better off just using those assets and developing a competitive roster.

Last edited:
Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
There are 3 studs(hall, alex p., Krug) in fa and a lot of nice afterwords. So you can decide to not sign the TJ Brodie, Mike Hoffman, Tyson Barrie's,etc types out there, offer a big offer sheet to Barzal and get nothing in free agency but egg on your face. OH GOODIE!

Orrrr they will sign in the first hour and then you can offer sheet if you missed out?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It's going to suck to have to hear about this for months unless said RFA's are locked up in advance. The Habs did one bogus offer sheet and it just so happens that Rick Dudley who worked for Bergevin for years and then goes to the Canes and the Habs do this lame ass OS that was never going to work cause they almost never do to begin with but no team is going to let a 21 year old ppg center walk because they don't want to have to pay out too much in bonus money. That move imo was clearly done as a favor to his former employee. I would be very surprised if the Habs OS anyone this summer.

Devils8961

Dec 16, 2017
Did not intend it to be bait, I apologise for any confusion. Figured it could be a discussion thread, FWIW I figure the Islanders match anything as well. I would be curious to see/ discuss the teams that would go after a player of his caliber.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
We saw one last summer and that was quickly matched (essentially matched the second it was signed, but obviously Carolina made the Habs wait until the deadline). I mean, its possible but outside of some outrageous offer the Isles are going to quickly match.

Four 1sts are fine too. As long as the offer reaches the area of four 1sts...that's also fine. Barzal is fine and a solid player, but there are very few players worth more than four 1sts. Barzal may develop into that player, but he isn't right now.

Keep in mind I'm talking about $10.5+ AAV or something along those lines (don't have reference in front of me).

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Offer sheets may seem like a dead tool, but I'm not so sure. Last season there was the Aho sheet, but just because we only heard about that one doesn't mean that's the only time lately it's been tried.

High profile RFAs might receieve offer sheets a lot, but just don't sign them. I speculated that Draisaitl was sitting on a couple while he was negotiating his extension. My guess was that Montreal would give him 9+ million

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Actually the first one who said this was bizznasty on chiclets. He claimed to have inside info weeks ago.

sooooo. More anti-isles bull%^%* from Arizona.... get f***ed barstool?
lmao :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad