Friedman: Possible Mathew Barzal Offer Sheet

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Whether it is post trade deadline or post July 1 writers get bored and talk offer sheets. And maybe someone offers Barzal 10.5m and Islanders match and big yawn.
$8,454,872 - $10,568,5892 First Round Picks
1 Second Round Pick
1 Third Round Pick
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Depending on the team that makes that offer, I think I'd rather take the picks, plus the 8.5 million - 10.5 million in cap space

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Taking bets that it will come courtesy of Marc Bergevin.
8 years

4.5 each

marc-bergevin.jpg

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Whether it is post trade deadline or post July 1 writers get bored and talk offer sheets. And maybe someone offers Barzal 10.5m and Islanders match and big yawn.
$8,454,872 - $10,568,5892 First Round Picks
1 Second Round Pick
1 Third Round Pick
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Right but if the contract was $9M/yr for 3 years that hurts the Isles and Barzal would be ecstatic to sign that deal... he'll make even more after that contract ends.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If Brayden Point didn't get an offer sheet when Tampa was back up against the cap, no one in this league is getting an offer sheet.

More BS for clicks.

Lou is probably hoping Bergevin sends Barzal an offer sheet so he can end the negotiation quickly.

MTL approached Point, he wasn't interested in signing an offer sheet.

Reactions: Ciao

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Assuming the team that makes the offer sheet assumes they are going to be a playoff contender for the foreseeable future, the firsts would be late firsts. Especially with the added security of it being 4 of the next 5 firsts and not having to the 4 in a row.

Using the 24th OA as a random example (use whatever pick you'd like)

Would you take

2018 – Filip Johansson, D, Wild
2017 – Kristian Vesalainen, RW, Jets
2016 – Max Jones, LW, Ducks
2015 – Travis Konecny, C, Flyers
2014 – Jared McCann, C, Canucks
2013 – Hunter Shinkaruk, C/RW, Canucks
2012 – Malcolm Subban, G, Bruins
2011 – Matt Puempel, LW, Senators

4 of those over Barzal? I wouldn't.

You can do the same with any number after 20 and (with the exception of perhaps 25 with Pasta etc) I would take Barzal over 4 late firsts anyday

Yeah, I said something similar last summer when all the offer sheet talk was going on. I think it depends on which team is making him an offer sheet. If it's a rebuilding team who likely picks high every year, then it's not a good idea. But if a contender who perennially picks in the 20+ range had the cap space to make an offer sheet? That's completely different.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Depending on the team that makes that offer, I think I'd rather take the picks, plus the 8.5 million - 10.5 million in cap space

depends on the direction of the team. If they are rebuilding then yes. If they aren't, isn't it best to keep the sure thing..?

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
NJ could have a realistic shot at this.
Why?
Hischier - Hughes - Zacha

Barzal might be better than all of them, but you wouldn't recoup the draft capital with dealing one or two of them. And Hughes is a similar type of player with an even higher ceiling.

NJ has cap room to spend. But I don't see them being a major player in the UFA or RFA market. More like a supporting actor picking up cap and other assets from teams to make room for resigning their stars or expensive adventures.

Last edited:

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
1: Teams can't offer that much.
2. If it's 10Mx7 it's four firsts. That's gotta be tempting.

This. 4 firsts would be plenty enticing if the offer came from the right team. Point and marner (Montreal and Columbus respectively) were both reputedly presented w offers in some form, but neither were interested enough to get past the preliminary stages. So while sheets are rare they are possible, and maybe on the uptick w the cap rising.

Last edited:

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Point was given at least one offer, and so was Aho (an official one).

Ya Point turned it down.

Still not sold on Barzal as an elite 1C but hes def a strong player. Depends on what Matty wants...if he wants to score goals and all that NYI isnt the team for that, but theres a good foundation and a beautiful arena just a couple years away.

NYI will be very solid soon especially as PIT and WSH are aging out with their franchise players.

Metro to be taken over by Phila, Car, and possibly NYR. CBJ and NYI have the opportunity over next 1-2 seasons to draft and develop right as well as be smart in FA

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Barzal seems super underwhelming compared to last year's crop.

Matthews I was most excited about.
Marner scored 90+. Point too. Laine still has that 50-60+ goals potential it seems. Ranta was on fire in Colorado. Probably forgetting a few.

Barzal is great - but I sure as hell won't pay 4 1sts for him. And anything below that - Isles would be stupid not to match.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I don't know why this is such a controversial thread.

Last offseason we had way more buzz about offer sheets than in a long time, including one young star player accepting one.

Given the push towards younger players in the league I think any GM wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't call to ask about any young RFA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad