Friedman: Possible Mathew Barzal Offer Sheet

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Do you know what makes a team good or do you just add and subtract goals and assists and points?
Do you honestly think that the Wild aren’t better with Varlamov in net and Barzal than without them? It’s not a quantified science but they are certainly a better team with those two players and they’re ere already a similar caliber of team to the Islanders

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
Do you honestly think that the Wild aren’t better with Varlamov in net and Barzal than without them? It’s not a quantified science but they are certainly a better team with those two players and they’re ere already a similar caliber of team to the Islanders
Better is not the same as a contender and they would not better than the Islanders either.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach

They are not because they don't have them and won't get get them. Move along now.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Every offseason we hear about offer sheets and it doesn't happen. Like last year--supposedly everyone from Laine to Marner to Tkachuk to Boeser was "getting sheeted." The only one who did was Aho, who was offered a pillow contract that, frankly, was under-value for a player of his caliber. Barzal is not getting sheeted. You really think he's going to sign an offer sheet and screw over Lou, and the Islanders, after the steps they've taken as a club last year?

MetsJetsIsles22

Oct 27, 2013
Every offseason we hear about offer sheets and it doesn't happen. Like last year--supposedly everyone from Laine to Marner to Tkachuk to Boeser was "getting sheeted." The only one who did was Aho, who was offered a pillow contract that, frankly, was under-value for a player of his caliber. Barzal is not getting sheeted. You really think he's going to sign an offer sheet and screw over Lou, and the Islanders, after the steps they've taken as a club last year?
i agree barzal will remain w the isles

but keep in mind, Aho was the only player to "sign" an offer sheet. with a stagnant cap, this year could get interesting for a lot of reasons.

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
I'm not sure Barzal even wants to stay with the Isles...the trotz system has handicapped his offensive abilities...I wouldn't be surprised if he wants to leave town and go out west to vancouver or seattle

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
i agree barzal will remain w the isles

but keep in mind, Aho was the only player to "sign" an offer sheet. with a stagnant cap, this year could get interesting for a lot of reasons.
That's what I mean--it takes two to tango. In many cases, the player likes their team, teammates, manager and coach--and would rather work something out with their team than put them in a tough spot. Every offseason the media makes it sound like players will be signing offer sheets all over the place--it just doesn't happen.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
They're going to have to make some noise in the playoffs first.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I'm not sure Barzal even wants to stay with the Isles

Barzal is playing on a super line, on a team that finished in the Top-4 for the Stanley Cup. They have arguably the best coach in hockey behind the bench and an architect with a world class track record. The Islanders have a good mix of youth and vets... and have more talent incoming... with Sorokin, Dobson, etc. The Islanders are in a good situation, once they get the rink nonsense out of the way completely. Why would he possibly want to play for an expansion team in Seattle, when the Islanders are close to contending for years? How could he end up in Vancouver? They don't have the money to overpay for him.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
I'm not sure Barzal even wants to stay with the Isles...the trotz system has handicapped his offensive abilities...I wouldn't be surprised if he wants to leave town and go out west to vancouver or seattle
I am sure he was excited to go as far in the playoffs as we did. Fans of other teams trying to wish him away might not understand this fact, which is why you are here.

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
Barzal is playing on a super line, on a team that finished in the Top-4 for the Stanley Cup. They have arguably the best coach in hockey behind the bench and an architect with a world class track record. The Islanders have a good mix of youth and vets... and have more talent incoming... with Sorokin, Dobson, etc. The Islanders are in a good situation, once they get the rink nonsense out of the way completely. Why would he possibly want to play for an expansion team in Seattle, when the Islanders are close to contending for years? How could he end up in Vancouver? They don't have the money to overpay for him.

super line ? lol
architect ? now thats really funny
if it wasn't for the pause the islanders would of been out of the playoffs
in the playoffs they played 3 cream puff teams and waltzed into the ECF where they were crushed

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

So essentially you think Barzal's the type of guy who'd rather score 90 points in a season and miss the playoffs than play for a team that can make a run but limit his offense to 65-70 points in a season?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
The only one who did was Aho, who was offered a pillow contract that, frankly, was under-value for a player of his caliber.

I still don't get why Montreal didn't give him slightly more money so the compensation was a bit better(I believe if they gave him 9M instead of 8.5M he would then return 2 firsts a 2nd and 3rd instead of 1rst, 2nd and 3rd). Did they honestly think Carolina wouldn't match

Cotton

May 13, 2013

Mitch Marner turned down two offer sheets

Darren Ferris: Mitch Marner received two offer sheets before re-signing with Toronto Maple Leafs - TSN.ca

One of the GM’s even called Dubas before doing it to let him know.

Reactions: 2020 Cup Champions

P10p

May 15, 2012
Do you know what makes a team good or do you just add and subtract goals and assists and points?

Asking rhetoricals isnt really a conversation strategy that leads anywhere productive....

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
super line ? lol
architect ? now thats really funny
if it wasn't for the pause the islanders would of been out of the playoffs
in the playoffs they played 3 cream puff teams and waltzed into the ECF where they were crushed
You had the opportunity to watch us a lot, with your quick exit.

Reactions: PWJunior

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada

Only if he would if Vancouver or Seattle can do the sheet this year but that is not the case last I checked. Canucks has no need for an upgrade at the center position at all and Seattle can't jumpstart their team a year ahead. That is exactly why he may be better off to go for a bridge that will get him to UFA sooner and then he will definitely have a shot to go to Seattle still in his prime if he shall badly desiring to do that then (kind like Matthews did but not with the same salary as he is not a goal scorer like Auston). In the meantime, he can work on things that can improve his game to become a true complete hockey player & maybe try to win the Conne Smythe trophy both which will greatly increase his UFA value. With the lack of competition on the Isles team, if Isles ever win the SC, the chance of him getting the MVP award would be much higher than if he was on a stacked contending team, especially one that already has an elite scoring forward.

The reason why Isles was not good before the pause was because of two key injuries - Cizikas and Pelech. They did show that with a healthy team they can compete as they won 3 rounds and took the new champ Tampa to 6 games (twice in OT) and they also lost two key players late in the series against Tampa (Pelech and Cizikas). I think if they stay on course and get even more out of some of their players (like Dobson, Eberle, Lee, and Bailey) next season with the possible addition of Wahlstrom who definitely has an NHL shot, they can have another strong season. Also, Sorokin can have a great positive impact as well as back up (especially in the 2nd half). Why would Barzal actively look to leave Isles now and where is any evidence of that?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I wonder if that’s why Marner was paid so much? Marner and his agent could have used the offer sheet offers as leverage? That’s actually scary.
If Barzal gets offered 10.5 AAV via offersheet and his agent takes that to Lou and says he doesn’t want to leave but he’s getting offered 10.5, you offer us 10AAV to stay we’ll sign right now.

pretty interesting.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
I wonder if that’s why Marner was paid so much? Marner and his agent could have used the offer sheet offers as leverage? That’s actually scary.
If Barzal gets offered 10.5 AAV via offersheet and his agent takes that to Lou and says he doesn’t want to leave but he’s getting offered 10.5, you offer us 10AAV to stay we’ll sign right now.

pretty interesting.

Offer sheets are absolutely leverage for the RFA. As an RFA, they have very little in power in terms of negotiation, other than arbitration.

Reactions: SI90

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

pretty interesting.

Doesn't mean the offer sheets were for more than what Marner got. The second article (TSN one) indicates Marner did not want to say whether they were more or less than what he signed for with the Leafs.

Sounds more like the reason for Marner's contract was because of what Matthews and Tavares got (same article said so) and not based on what was in any offer sheet. So I don't think the Isles will have the same issue with Barzal because they don't have an inferior player to Barzal making over $10 million for his camp to compare to.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Doesn't mean the offer sheets were for more than what Marner got. The second article (TSN one) indicates Marner did not want to say whether they were more or less than what he signed for with the Leafs.

Sounds more like the reason for Marner's contract was because of what Matthews and Tavares got (same article said so) and not based on what was in any offer sheet. So I don't think the Isles will have the same issue with Barzal because they don't have an inferior player to Barzal making over $10 million for his camp to compare to.
I wasn’t saying it was that. Just pointing out that something like that could be used as leverage for an RFA.

Let’s hope Lou doesn’t mess this up. I love Barzal and believe in him but he’s not a $9+mil AAV player yet in my opinion.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I wasn’t saying it was that. Just pointing out that something like that could be used as leverage for an RFA.

Let’s hope Lou doesn’t mess this up. I love Barzal and believe in him but he’s not a $9+mil AAV player yet in my opinion.

Some of the recent RFA deals, which I suppose would be Barzal's "comparables":
McDavid - 12.5
Matthews - 11.6
Marner - 10.9
Eichel - 10.0
Rantanen - 9.25
Draisaitl - 8.5
Aho - 8.454
Hischier - 7.25
Keller - 7.15
Connor - 7.14
Tkachuk - 7.0
Nylander - 6.96
Point - 6.75

The top four names are probably not comparables. I don't think Rantanen or Draisaitl would be, either.

So you're looking at somewhere between Point's $6.75 and Aho's $8.454 per year for Barzal's deal. Point and Tkachuk signed for less years, so they're probably not a comparable. Nylander and Connor are primarily wingers, who probably will get a bit less just by virtue of their position. Hischier and Keller signed for $7.15 to $7.25, and neither has proven as much as Barzal.

So now we're somewhere in the $7.3 to $8.454 range. My guess is that's the range Barzal will sign for if it's a 5 year or so deal. If the Isles get a full 8 years, then maybe bump that up to just under $9 million.

Reactions: SI90

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad