Line Combos: Possible lineup after free agency ?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The problem with what you are saying is he is a terrible center. Take FO% out of it because i have no idea what his is, purely based on position. He is bad at it because he has to think too much.

Terrible Center?

Maybe you are thinking what Center has to be offensively? Rasmussen doesn't have to be anything offensively as a 4th line matchup shut-down Center he was once projected to be. He has just to eat alive, opposite better line from scoring nothing. Go zero-zero.

Just push the puck out from the D-zone with Kostin and Fischer and his 4th line job is done. The Top9 job is to score.

It's all based on matchups and Christian Fischer talked about this when Joe Varady called for him. Also Lalonde has talked about these plans to have a strong machup line. I don't see our other players fitting on that kind of line at all. Maybe Copp instead of Rasmussen. But I see Copp rather on a middle6 line, before Rasmussen.

Any ways, strong Center core, no matter what the lines will be. That's the key for a good team.

AlwaysSunnyInDetroit

Oct 1, 2021
Ride Fabbri until he blows a tire
It must suck to start every season knowing that you will definitely suffer a major, likely extremely painful, injury within the next month or 2. In 8 seasons, he has never played the full 82 games, only played more than 60 twice, and sat out an entire season once.

He must have pretty big balls if he signs another contract after his current one expires.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Terrible Center?

Maybe you are thinking what Center has to be offensively? Rasmussen doesn't have to be anything offensively as a 4th line matchup shut-down Center he was once projected to be. He has just to eat alive, opposite better line from scoring nothing. Go zero-zero.

Just push the puck out from the D-zone with Kostin and Fischer and his 4th line job is done. The Top9 job is to score.

It's all based on matchups and Christian Fischer talked about this when Joe Varady called for him. Also Lalonde has talked about these plans to have a strong machup line. I don't see our other players fitting on that kind of line at all. Maybe Copp instead of Rasmussen. But I see Copp rather on a middle6 line, before Rasmussen.

Any ways, strong Center core, no matter what the lines will be. That's the key for a good team.
But we have Copp/Compher now with Kasper on the way and Rasmussen played like a guy last year who deserves to be in the top 9.

Also as many others have said, he has just looked like a more effective player when he plays wing for awhile now. It’s pretty night and day.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Rasmussen - Larkin - DBC
Berggren - Compher - Raymond
Kostin - Copp - Perron - the shutdown line
Fabbri - Veleno - Sprong/Fischer
Kostin and Perron aren't exactly renowned defensively. Kostin is physical at least...

Kostin would be more McCarty than Maltby.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Kostin and Perron aren't exactly renowned defensively. Kostin is physical at least...

Kostin would be more McCarty than Maltby.

Ras-Copp-Perron had good defensive metrics. Perron is pretty savvy in his own right and Copp is realgud On defense. Kostin is more physical than Ras and stronger down low.

Baszie

Apr 29, 2021
Projected WAR% Jfresh:

1. Debrincat 92%
2. Larkin 91%
3. Sprong 86%
4. Perron 84%
5. Compher 76%
6. Berggren 70%
7 Kostin 59%
8. Raymond 58%
9. Fabbri 52%
10. Veleno 31%
11. Fischer 30%
12. Copp 28%
13. Rasmussen 23%

EV Defence Jfresh:

1. Compher 94%
2. Perron 76%
3. Larkin 61%
4. Veleno 61%
5. Rasmussen 46%
6. Sprong 39%
7. Copp 37%
8. Berggren 37%
9. Kostin 36%
10. Fischer 33%
11. Raymond 19%
12. Debrincat 18%
13. Fabbri 13%

Some interesting choiches when you take if you take these numbers into account. Rasmussen with the lowest projected WAR% on the top line? Sprong 3rd in projected WAR% and 6th in EV defense healthy scratch?

Reactions: Henkka

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Projected WAR% Jfresh:

1. Debrincat 92%
2. Larkin 91%
3. Sprong 86%
4. Perron 84%
5. Compher 76%
6. Berggren 70%
7 Kostin 59%
8. Raymond 58%
9. Fabbri 52%
10. Veleno 31%
11. Fischer 30%
12. Copp 28%
13. Rasmussen 23%

EV Defence Jfresh:

1. Compher 94%
2. Perron 76%
3. Larkin 61%
4. Veleno 61%
5. Rasmussen 46%
6. Sprong 39%
7. Copp 37%
8. Berggren 37%
9. Kostin 36%
10. Fischer 33%
11. Raymond 19%
12. Debrincat 18%
13. Fabbri 13%

Some interesting choiches when you take if you take these numbers into account. Rasmussen with the lowest projected WAR% on the top line? Sprong 3rd in projected WAR% and 6th in EV defense healthy scratch?
If you're going to use the fancy stats try to at least use them in the context intended.

I don't pay for them but have seen the cards posted. Pretty sure all these metrics are in relation to the role said player is deployed in. IE 2nd line winger, 4th line winger, etc...

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Fabbri won't be even near the last spot. He could be at 1st line, most probably 2nd, maybe 3rd.

No single game as healthy scratch. He'll play or will be injured.
I don't doubt his spot isn't in question to some people, but, between us, interestingly enough to me. Why would you ever consider him a 1st line player? Legitimate question to me, based on his on ice play and injury history. Nothing suggests he'll ever sustain near 20 min a night stuff.

I like Fabbri too, I really do. He's just a dude that's prolly going to add some bite to bottom lines at this point based off his production and injury history. ( IMO. ) He's not exactly a prospect with knees literally of a 34-38 year old being 27 or 28. He's not a guy that should log tons of minutes.

It's a long ways back(my post), but his linemates in my situation are Veleno/Kostin, and those guys could greatly benefit playing next to Fabbri and him too playing next to them cause they're more physical yet offensive enough to be effetive... Idk, Could be crazy but I thought it was a legitimate blend.

If others like Fabbri more than me and have confidence in his knees, game, etc. It's a lot of faith more than proven track record.

Last edited:

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I think within 2 years one of Copp/Compher gets moved at a trade deadline.

Partly because I think Danielson is closer to an NHL player than people realize.
Until our prospects prove they belong every one of our roster players won’t get moved unless it’s for an easy trade.

There’s always so much hype around prospects they always seem to disappoint.
Rare exception from Seider and Larkin wasn’t even hyped.

I’m in the minority and think Edvinsson could bust.

DeBrincat - Larkin - Raymond
Ras - Copp - Perron
Fabbri - Compher - Berggren
Kostin - Veleno - Fischer
Where did Sprong go?

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Until our prospects prove they belong every one of our roster players won’t get moved unless it’s for an easy trade.

I would normally agree with you but Yzerman legitmaley hasn't disappointed anyone with his 1st round picks (so far) Seider/Raymond seem like good picks. No matter what. Kasper/Edvinsson the books out alittle bit still.

I've seen alot of Edvinsson and he looks good, idk about great, but he's for sure an NHL player. I'm worried people expect Seider or better, and I'm with you there, I'm not sure he's better than Seider but still a quality NHL player.

Kasper, imo, there's alot of hype around. I'd easily package him for the right player, but, I hope he is as good as most fans think. I've thought "average"/"idk" everytime I watch him play, but idk anything so who knows. I'm rooting for him either way!

Reactions: KJoe88

Chris Langlois

Jan 31, 2022

Where did Sprong go?
Not sure what you are going by to say edvinsson will be a bust? He had a very good year in the ahl last year and his 9 games in Detroit showed tremendous progress from the start of the year. In those 9 games he was probably the 2nd best dman next to seider.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I would normally agree with you but Yzerman legitmaley hasn't disappointed anyone with his 1st round picks (so far) Seider/Raymond seem like good picks. No matter what. Kasper/Edvinsson the books out alittle bit still.

I've seen alot of Edvinsson and he looks good, idk about great, but he's for sure an NHL player. I'm worried people expect Seider or better, and I'm with you there, I'm not sure he's better than Seider but still a quality NHL player.

Kasper, imo, there's alot of hype around. I'd easily package him for the right player, but, I hope he is as good as most fans think. I've thought "average"/"idk" everytime I watch him play, but idk anything so who knows. I'm rooting for him either way!
Don’t get me wrong, I hope they succeed, and I think a lot of oldies here know me to not be negative. However, we’ve said forever now that he and him will be amazing players and they end up like Zadina or Sproul. A few standouts but meh.

I hope they’re great prospects. I think maybe if we’re lucky Kasper and Danielson can succeed, but I refuse to instill hype in prospects until they actually achieve what they can.

I think Ed can be an absolute force and the second coming of Hedman, and possibly better than Seider, but he always has a huge bust percentage.

I hope to the hockey gods I’m wrong for a change. After AA, Smith and Zadina I’ve significantly tempered my expectations… at least as a Wings fan.

Not sure what you are going by to say edvinsson will be a bust? He had a very good year in the ahl last year and his 9 games in Detroit showed tremendous progress from the start of the year. In those 9 games he was probably the 2nd best dman next to seider.

I’m just iterating that for me I’m not trying to hype anyone up because of a lot of our prospects being underwhelmed almost constantly.

I’m not trying to sway anyone into that thinking and again I hope I’m effing wrong

Reactions: Snuggs

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Don’t get me wrong, I hope they succeed, and I think a lot of oldies here know me to not be negative. However, we’ve said forever now that he and him will be amazing players and they end up like Zadina or Sproul. A few standouts but meh.

I hope they’re great prospects. I think maybe if we’re lucky Kasper and Danielson can succeed, but I refuse to instill hype in prospects until they actually achieve what they can.

I think Ed can be an absolute force and the second coming of Hedman, and possibly better than Seider, but he always has a huge bust percentage.

I hope to the hockey gods I’m wrong for a change. After AA, Smith and Zadina I’ve significantly tempered my expectations… at least as a Wings fan.

All's I can say is one guy is different from the next. Give Yzerman and his specific picks a shot. Those players were someone's else's choices, etc. Most picks are bust, watch players when you can and trust your own gut when you're watching.

It's not much different than picking players for competitive teams in the gym class.

Reactions: KJoe88

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
All's I can say is one guy is different from the next. Give Yzerman and his specific picks a shot. Those players were someone's else's choices, etc. Most picks are bust, watch players when you can and trust your own gut when you're watching.

It's not much different than picking players for competitive teams in the gym class.

oh I will. I believe they are great prospects, but they’re just that… prospects and we shouldn’t pencil in anyone over anyone on our roster atm

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
If others like Fabbri more than me and have confidence in his knees, game, etc. It's a lot of faith more than proven track record.
Not really. When he’s healthy, the Wings deploy him pretty heavily, usually in a 2nd-line role. If this most recent injury has more lasting effects and changes that equation, sure, but otherwise you aren’t going to see him playing with Veleno. His track record is that of a top-6 scoring rate (on this team), and he gets deployed as such. That’s his track record.

Where did Sprong go?
Healthy scratch, apparently. Wings have 13 forwards and someone has to sit if everyone is healthy. I expect there to be a rotation, but given his history of deployment Sprong seems like the most likely candidate to sit on opening night.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Rasmussen - Larkin - DBC
Berggren - Compher - Raymond
Kostin - Copp - Perron - the shutdown line
Fabbri - Veleno - Sprong/Fischer

I would at least like Ras to be given a chance to be the net front guy on the top line. I have always felt that is where he will make his mark in this league.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don't doubt his spot isn't in question to some people, but, between us, interestingly enough to me. Why would you ever consider him a 1st line player? Legitimate question to me, based on his on ice play and injury history. Nothing suggests he'll ever sustain near 20 min a night stuff.

Being a 1st line player "with managed minutes" would maybe be more informative, how I think. I don't see hockey in a way how all 3 first line players play same minutes. It has never been that way. Like Holmström with Pavel and Z.

DeBrincat and Larkin should be locked together, and the 3rd particle can be pretty much anybody except Christian Fischer.

Most probably Fabbri will be at middle6 lines. Not on the 1st line, and absolutely not on the 4th line. 4th line will be the checking-line type, which could play 2nd most on many games, when we are leading. Team structure was heading towards that plan already at last season, now we have more material to complete that.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Not really. When he’s healthy, the Wings deploy him pretty heavily, usually in a 2nd-line role. If this most recent injury has more lasting effects and changes that equation, sure, but otherwise you aren’t going to see him playing with Veleno. His track record is that of a top-6 scoring rate (on this team), and he gets deployed as such. That’s his track record.

Healthy scratch, apparently. Wings have 13 forwards and someone has to sit if everyone is healthy. I expect there to be a rotation, but given his history of deployment Sprong seems like the most likely candidate to sit on opening night.

Yeah, well Idk, 30 points a year isn't top six forward most anywhere but here, I guess. If Wings are actually trying to improve, he's not penciled in as anything yet for me.

His track record is scoring 30 points and missing a ton of time.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Yeah, well Idk, 30 points a year isn't top six forward most anywhere but here, I guess. If Wings are actually trying to improve, he's not penciled in as anything yet for me.

His track record is scoring 30 points and missing a ton of time.
Him missing a lot of time is certainly a knock against him, overall, I agree.

But when he's healthy, he scores 1.58 PTS/60 for Detroit. That's behind only Larkin and Perron amongst players who have played for Detroit thusfar. Ahead of Raymond, Kubalik, Copp, Ras, Berggren, etc. Tied with DeBrincat's number last year. Sprong and Kostin outpace him, but that was while playing 11-12 very sheltered minutes on better teams.

And in terms of TOI/GP since he came to Detroit, he's behind only Larkin, Raymond, and Copp, averaging over 17 minutes. Ahead of Perron and everyone else. He'll be behind DeBrincat this year obviously, but there's nothing to show we should expect him to get less than the equivalent of top-6 minutes, even if he is actually slotted on the 3rd line most of the time.

I'm just painting the picture that, if healthy, it's silly that so many people are plugging him into the 4th line, or even healthy-scratching him. It's just not realistic. Penciling him into a top-9 role when healthy is a pretty safe bet.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Him missing a lot of time is certainly a knock against him, overall, I agree.

But when he's healthy, he scores 1.58 PTS/60 for Detroit. That's behind only Larkin and Perron amongst players who have played for Detroit thusfar. Ahead of Raymond, Kubalik, Copp, Ras, Berggren, etc. Tied with DeBrincat's number last year. Sprong and Kostin outpace him, but that was while playing 11-12 very sheltered minutes on better teams.

And in terms of TOI/GP since he came to Detroit, he's behind only Larkin, Raymond, and Copp, averaging over 17 minutes. Ahead of Perron and everyone else. He'll be behind DeBrincat this year obviously, but there's nothing to show we should expect him to get less than the equivalent of top-6 minutes, even if he is actually slotted on the 3rd line most of the time.

I'm just painting the picture that, if healthy, it's silly that so many people are plugging him into the 4th line, or even healthy-scratching him. It's just not realistic. Penciling him into a top-9 role when healthy is a pretty safe bet.
It's a safer bet that he won't finish a complete season. Why bother putting him somewhere he can't be counted on to be?

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I would at least like Ras to be given a chance to be the net front guy on the top line. I have always felt that is where he will make his mark in this league.
Ras playing on the first line, top PP, and PK all combined simply won't happen. It's more likely he isn't on the PP at all than first PP. At least that's just how I see it, likely second a PP net front.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
It's a safer bet that he won't finish a complete season. Why bother putting him somewhere he can't be counted on to be?
I didn't realize we were drawing up lineups for game 82. If that's the case, sure, solid odds he'll be listed on the IR by then. I was thinking of these lines more for opening night, and Fabbri has been healthy for 3 out of 4 opening nights in his time in Detroit if I'm remembering correctly, so the safer bet is that he'll play, no?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Ras playing on the first line, top PP, and PK all combined simply won't happen. It's more likely he isn't on the PP at all than first PP. At least that's just how I see it, likely second a PP net front.
If we aren't going to use him in the role that got him drafted why draft him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad