Positivity thread

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
We need balance between the positivity and negativity threads.

Really happy with the boys the last few games. Each game, especially the one in TO and Buffalo could have really gone well for Calgary if the goalie hadn't stood on his head. Weaker goaltending performances and Calgary would have run away with 5-6 goals in each.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
The single season all time point record is still on the table for this team if we win out the rest of the year.

Every player on the team could also surpass Wayne Gretzky’s single season point record if they score more.

Things are looking good

Reactions: Cyrano

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I do think that 9-1 drubbing was a good lessons for the Flames.
They tried getting away playing poorly three games in a row, they won one game, they could have won the second game... the third game they met a cup contender, and they were having none of Calgary's mistakes.

Since then... Washington, Toronto and Buffalo; The cup champion, a good team and a team on the rise:

50.7 CF%
58.1% Scoring Chances %
51% High Danger Scoring Chances %

The Flames are limiting 5v5 play like crazy and producing. They've also given up LESS than 25 5v5 shots a game (23 x 2 and 18).

In comparison, in the three dud games they had, the least amount of 5v5 shots they gave up was 26.

Things are turning around. I think having Hamonic back in the flow gives us another good shutdown guy. The kids get better every game. Andersson looks like the real deal... and Valimaki is going to be a monster in this league.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I'm really impressed with Andersson lately. He has a great shot but he doesn't just fire it off with reckless abandon. Looks like everything he does is calculated, waiting for the screen or for the lane to open up. Incredible play yesterday to hold the line and set up that tying goal. He's making huge strides each and every night.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'm really impressed with Andersson lately. He has a great shot but he doesn't just fire it off with reckless abandon. Looks like everything he does is calculated, waiting for the screen or for the lane to open up. Incredible play yesterday to hold the line and set up that tying goal. He's making huge strides each and every night.

I honestly do think Calgary's top 4 for the next decade... 3/4 are already playing for them this season.
I think Hanifin, Valimaki and Andersson all have another gear.

Honestly, I think Calgary will be a lot like Nashville, where 3-4 years from now, people will be like... how the f*** did these guys get all of these players together? How is this f***ing fair.

I think Noah has top D upside.
I think Rasmus has top pair upside.
I think Juuso has elite 1D upside.

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012
Our PK is 24th in the league.
Our PP is 23rd in the league.

Positive take: I think it can only get better.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Special teams have plagued this squad for far too long. Different strategies, different positional looks for our players, and still mediocre or poor results. I'm hoping we improve over the course of the season but this seems to be a constant for this franchise!

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
How good has Bennett been this season?

- Controls 54.84% of high danger chances. 1st on team. Only Czarnik (53.13%) is also above 50%.

- Only Czarnik (64.37%) & Backlund (56.68%) control more scoring chances (54.90%).

- Only Backlund (in 30+ more minutes) has as many individual high scoring chances (14).

- Leads the team in individual expected Goals For (ixGF) @ 2.54 & individual expected Goals For per 60 minutes (ixGF/60) @ 1.06 (2nd is Gaudreau @ 0.82)

- Produces 5.85 individual high danger chances per 60 minutes. Dube is 2nd @ 5.09 and way down in 3rd is Backlund @ 4.78.

- Only Czarnik (61.41%) & Backlund (53.62%) have a higher expected Goals For percentage (xGF%) (52.54%).

Bennett's been goooood

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
If Bennett didn't have bad luck he'd have no luck. His goal against Nashville was no good because of dogshit officiating. Fairly certain he also had one in St. Louis that was blown dead too early. He has hit around 4 or 5 posts/cross bars. Wide open in front of the net against Nashville at home with an open net on Saros and somehow shoots it wide far side. Has been setting Neal up and Neal has been taken muffin/chest shots.

You have to think after 3 years his luck has to turn around, like the f*** man. If he had even semi-decent luck he'd be at 9 points opposed to 3.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
If Sam could only corsi his way onto the score sheet. :sarcasm:

Honestly. I said it last year too.
Him and Matt Tkachuk seemed like the only two players on the team that were fed up of being a shitty team and having lackluster nights. It's why I've always been a fan of his.

I think his floor is a less dirty and big Tom Wilson and I think his ceiling is something like a regular Gabe Landeskog (not the MacKinnon super-product, but a 35-50 point gritty winger). Kind of a unique player in the league in a lot of ways. Modern NHL size, speed, but gritty, loves to hit and tough as they make them.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I will say that with Mike Smith in net the puck gets out of the zone a lot quicker. He does a great job playing the puck and when he isn’t able to, he lets it go in to get a face off at center immediately. Pretty smart guy

Reactions: No Draft

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I will say that with Mike Smith in net the puck gets out of the zone a lot quicker. He does a great job playing the puck and when he isn’t able to, he lets it go in to get a face off at center immediately. Pretty smart guy
Stopping puck is overrated

Reactions: Cyrano

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
TJ Brodie and Mark Giordano are one of the top pairings in the league again.

The line of Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm is absolutely on fire

Tkachuk is looking like one of the few last great PWFs.

James Neal seems to be getting a couple glorious chances every game. He’s kinda like Monahan in that he knows where to go at the right time to get open.

Hanifin/Valimaki/Andersson look better every game. Andersson impressed me the most. All three have big potential.

Backlund and Tkachuk are still beastly defensive players and are chipping in even though I think Backlund especially will be better offensively.

Dube has some serious upside. In a few years he’s going to be a very good player.

So much room for improvement on this team too. Although I don’t think Gaudreau, Monahan, and Lindholm are going to score 126/127 goals this season like they are on pace for.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
This is just ridiculous:

The Flames have only been outplayed 4 times in the 3rd period this season (Gm 2 vs VAN, Gm 3 @ NSH, Gm 6 vs BOS & Gm 8 @ NYR). In the 11 other games, the Flames numbers in the 3rd period:

CF%: 63.63%
FF%: 62.75%
SF%: 60.89%
SCF%: 66.46%
HDCF%: 69.86%

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
This is just ridiculous:

The Flames have only been outplayed 4 times in the 3rd period this season (Gm 2 vs VAN, Gm 3 @ NSH, Gm 6 vs BOS & Gm 8 @ NYR). In the 11 other games, the Flames numbers in the 3rd period:

CF%: 63.63%
FF%: 62.75%
SF%: 60.89%
SCF%: 66.46%
HDCF%: 69.86%
It's fascinating that three of the games we've been "outplayed" in the third have been the only three games of the season where we've led after 40 minutes, and to be quite honest, we steamrolled the Canucks in the third period of Game 2, but most of our scoring was done on the PP if I remember, so once we gained the lead we probably sat back and got outCorsid in that one, too.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
It's fascinating that three of the games we've been "outplayed" in the third have been the only three games of the season where we've led after 40 minutes, and to be quite honest, we steamrolled the Canucks in the third period of Game 2, but most of our scoring was done on the PP if I remember, so once we gained the lead we probably sat back and got outCorsid in that one, too.

The Flames were actually dominated by the Predators and Rangers throughout those entire games for the most part whereas Boston just came on very strong in the 3rd after we controlled play for the most part the first 2 periods.

I do agree with you on the Canucks game though.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The Flames were actually dominated by the Predators and Rangers throughout those entire games for the most part whereas Boston just came on very strong in the 3rd after we controlled play for the most part the first 2 periods.

I do agree with you on the Canucks game though.
Indeed. We don't have any reason to be worried about the Flames' play from behind. But they definitely seem to have a tendency to sit back on leads. In the Boston game especially they bursted out to that 3-0 lead so early in the game that it was almost inevitable that they'd let up, and then it was hard for them to find it again after they started getting on their heels.

Reactions: FerklundCGY

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Indeed. We don't have any reason to be worried about the Flames' play from behind. But they definitely seem to have a tendency to sit back on leads. In the Boston game especially they bursted out to that 3-0 lead so early in the game that it was almost inevitable that they'd let up, and then it was hard for them to find it again after they started getting on their heels.

Yup. When we're trailing, we push back and we push back HAAAARD but it seems when we're leading early, we let up and then can't find that extra gear that we seem to have the majority of the time.

However, that should figure itself out so I'm not too worried about our play with the lead yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad