Positive test amongst WAS players. OV and 3 others to miss 4 games

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Even if the guild lines seem wrong to the players, just follow them anyways, so this exact issue doesn’t hurt your team’s chances for winning. It’s all about making personal sacrifices. These four guys didn’t follow the rules, as agreed to by the league, players, and health authorities. These guys are filthy rich. Get iPads and do that “group chat” thing.
Basically, the Owners agreed to lose a ton of money to not long-term damage the brand by having a season. Players agreed to make sacrifices (these rules were cleared by the NHLPA) or could opt-out. Unless you are at your house with your family, you are expected to isolate. The only contact with teammates is in an attempt to finish the season. These were the terms required to attempt a season without a bubble. If the players don't like or can't accept these rules, they should have opted out in December. I get Samsonov being a young guy in a new country making a mistake (possibly also somewhat homesick), even if misguided. But, 3 clear veterans on the team making it with him is beyond misguided.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
Sucks for us. Bound to happen to many teams. Kinda wish the boys lied and never said they hung out in a hotel room with Samsonov.

2 questions:

1. Why arent the Caps games postponed like the Canes and Stars games? Are 4 players not enough and you need 5 or more for postponements?

2. I thought NHL protocol to get off the list is to test negative twice in 48 hours. Assuming only Samsonov is a positive, why cant OV Kutz Orloz play on Sunday (assuming negative tests?) Why are OV and co not allowed to play for at least 4 games?

Okay thats like 4 questions ... obviously id like the benefit Canes and Stars received. Or at least to see some consistency. 4 games in a 56 game season kinda hurts.

Only a guess on the postponement piece, but I'd guess since the Canes and Stars were multiple positive tests as opposed to one test and contact tracing issue the thought is it could be far more widespread at that point so they need to "isolate" everyone essentially.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Ill defer to you on this but I am somewhat skeptical its VA state law that is requiring OV and co to perhaps sit out 4 games. VA guidelines say you if youve been exposed to someone with a positive, you dont have to quarantine after 5 days and a negative test. If the clock started on Wednesday, day 5 is over on Monday. is it even law or guidelines?

It is safest to stay home for 14 days after last exposure (or contact). If people are not able to stay home for the full 14 days after exposure and do not have symptoms, there are 2 options: You may leave home after Day 10 without testing or after Day 7 if a PCR or antigen test performed on or after Day 5 is negative.
https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/corona...vement-restrictions-public-health-monitoring/

Basically you can quarantine for 7 days if you show no symptoms and take a PCR or antigen test on Day 5 and it comes back negative. But you still have to do the full 7 days.

I'm assuming that Day 5 is specified due to lag time for most people between taking the test and getting back the results.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Whoever ratted them out is piece of garbage, hope they find out who. Regardless of what the rules state we're allowed to voice our opinions on them: they're a facade, hypocritical and have zero basis in safety. Smoke and mirrors.

Do you know how to read? Unless you're trying to say they're all garbage for "ratting" themselves out, then yes you're correct.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Kind of shitty to fine the team and not the players. Doesn't actually make sense at all. This isn't children.

It is hilarious what Ovechkin's wife said though. They can hug each other and spit on the ice at work, but can't hang out. I haven't read any updates to see if there was more to the story but regardless if there is, they still aren't supposed to just hang out.

Makes about as much sense as an Ontario Stay-At-Home order where almost every business is allowed to stay open in some capacity. "Only get groceries!" But you can stop by EB Games to pick up the newest game, stop by the Gap to grab a hoodie, and finish that off by grabbing that new record from your local Sunrise.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
HAHAHAHAHAHA
LOLOLOL
HEEHEEHEEHEE

giphy.gif

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Basically, the Owners agreed to lose a ton of money to not long-term damage the brand by having a season. Players agreed to make sacrifices (these rules were cleared by the NHLPA) or could opt-out. Unless you are at your house with your family, you are expected to isolate. The only contact with teammates is in an attempt to finish the season. These were the terms required to attempt a season without a bubble. If the players don't like or can't accept these rules, they should have opted out in December. I get Samsonov being a young guy in a new country making a mistake (possibly also somewhat homesick), even if misguided. But, 3 clear veterans on the team making it with him is beyond misguided.
Love OV, but he’s got be a better leader in this situation, and keep his teammates following the guidelines.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Kind of shitty to fine the team and not the players. Doesn't actually make sense at all. This isn't children.

It is hilarious what Ovechkin's wife said though. They can hug each other and spit on the ice at work, but can't hang out.

Makes about as much sense as an Ontario Stay-At-Home order where almost every business is allowed to stay open in some capacity.
Hopefully the rest of the team will be pissed enough.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

It is hilarious what Ovechkin's wife said though. They can hug each other and spit on the ice at work, but can't hang out. I haven't read any updates to see if there was more to the story but regardless if there is, they still aren't supposed to just hang out.

Makes about as much sense as an Ontario Stay-At-Home order where almost every business is allowed to stay open in some capacity. "Only get groceries!" But you can stop by EB Games to pick up the newest game, stop by the Gap to grab a hoodie, and finish that off by grabbing that new record from your local Sunrise.

It makes perfect sense to fine the team and not the players. The player gets fined/suspended for their on ice actions, criminal charges, abusive behavior towards staff/players. The team is responsible for their payroll players following a covid protocol.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

I believe it's also regarding the amount of time spent together in close vicinity. In and out of a store with a mask is different than sitting in a hotel room for hours with no mask.

It makes sense for the league to protect its assets, and it makes sense for the players to commit to following the rules seeing as it means they will be paid millions of dollars.

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
It makes perfect sense to fine the team and not the players. The player gets fined/suspended for their on ice actions, criminal charges, abusive behavior towards staff/players. The team is responsible for the player following a covid protocol.

I am not sure if I agree with this statement, as it would be really hard for team to control 20+ players all the time. You cant have anyone on nanny duty 24/7 to make sure players arent doing anything stupid or against the rules. And when they are at home, are you going to have a person standing in front of their house all the time, to make sure they dont break the protocol?

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010

The team could have already fined the players internally. That's on the team.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
In close quarters with no masks.

They’re not supposed to interact too frequently with too many people outside of necessary situations to play the game. And then the masks are just too easy to excuse them...

They are being paid many millions. I’m broke and I’ve still managed to Skype with people, play video games talking thru a headset, phonecalls, fantasy sports etc.

I Skyped watching a movie with someone who was sick. “What moment are you at paused at? Okay, one two three”

Get discord and share screens my guy, then you dont need to pause.

Reactions: Chips

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Honestly, if these guys are sharing a locker room together and sharing a bench together I think it's ridiculous that they aren't allowed to hang out with each other.

This is a dumb argument. It's about risk and managing risk. Your statement is exactly like saying "I just drove after having two shots of tequila and nothing happened. Might as well have more!"

The more time you spend with someone in close proximity, the more risk there will be of contracting the virus if someone else has it. The NHL (and players!) all agreed to the current protocols: Limit their interaction with teammates (and basically anyone outside of immediate family) as much as possible, essentially to just team functions and games.

There are also qualitative differences between playing/practicing and hanging out in a small room for hours. There's less circulation/ventilation. Most of what we know shows that COVID transmission is more likely in enclosed spaces, like a small room.

And now look. Samsonov was positive and put his teammates directly at risk. Good job.

These are rules. They signed up for them. If they're too good for the rules, they can take the season off and forfeit their salary. And stop putting their teammates (and the continuation of the NHL season) at risk. End of story.

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I am not sure if I agree with this statement, as it would be really hard for team to control 20+ players all the time. You cant have anyone on nanny duty 24/7 to make sure players arent doing anything stupid or against the rules. And when they are at home, are you going to have a person standing in front of their house all the time, to make sure they dont break the protocol?
THIS ISN'T JUST THE Capitals, it's the ownership of the Capitals/Wizards, Monumental Sports/Entertainment.... the Wizards haven't played in ten days now

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I can't believe 11 months into this virus and people are still completely clueless on how to mitigate its spread. This virus did one thing: confirm that a giant portion of people walking on this earth are selfish, dumb as rocks, afraid of what they don't understand and therefore deny it, and most likely all three.

If they are sitting on the bench together, why don't they just have an orgy at night with randoms? I just drove 120mph in my car drunk and had no issues. DUI rules are stupid.

Holy shit what a bunch of knuckle dragging idiots.

Selfishness and stupidity go hand-in-hand.

"Think about how dumb the average person is. Now think that half of them are even dumber!"

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
It’s really no different then me in Alberta where I see and interact with co workers everyday but I’m not allowed to see them outside of work. Not saying I agree but how the rules have been here for months now.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
This is a dumb argument. It's about risk and managing risk. Your statement is exactly like saying "I just drove after having two shots of tequila and nothing happened. Might as well have more!"

The more time you spend with someone in close proximity, the more risk there will be of contracting the virus if someone else has it. The NHL (and players!) all agreed to the current protocols: Limit their interaction with teammates (and basically anyone outside of immediate family) as much as possible, essentially to just team functions and games.

There are also qualitative differences between playing/practicing and hanging out in a small room for hours. There's less circulation/ventilation. Most of what we know shows that COVID transmission is more likely in enclosed spaces, like a small room.

And now look. Samsonov was positive and put his teammates directly at risk. Good job.

These are rules. They signed up for them. If they're too good for the rules, they can take the season off and forfeit their salary. And stop putting their teammates (and the continuation of the NHL season) at risk. End of story.
Aside from the rules being the rules, no, it's the complete opposite of a dumb argument. In fact, it's a damn common sense argument.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Selfishness and stupidity go hand-in-hand.

"Think about how dumb the average person is. Now think that half of them are even dumber!"

Yes. Carlin. Can't tell if he would be feasting on these times we live in now or if it would have driven him to insanity.

CanadianCoyote

Oct 11, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Aside from the rules being the rules, no, it's the complete opposite of a dumb argument. In fact, it's a damn common sense argument.
Considering the players all signed off on this, you'd think they wouldn't be flagrantly flouting the protocols that the league and PA put in place specifically so they could get paid by playing this season so quickly.

It's really quite simple; follow league protocols and you get your money, you get to see your teammates and you get to have fun playing the game. Don't and you get hammered for it and potentially lose the respect of your teammates if you put enough of them at risk of contracting the virus.

This isn't a f***ing tyranny, it's a business putting safety protocols in place to protect their employees from getting infected with a disease that, as seen in other leagues, can easily grow out of control if not seriously monitored. The NHL doesn't need a Marlins situation on it's hands.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad