Positive test amongst WAS players. OV and 3 others to miss 4 games

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Honestly, if these guys are sharing a locker room together and sharing a bench together I think it's ridiculous that they aren't allowed to hang out with each other.
More time=more potential exposure to virus= more risk of breakouts messing up the season.

Less time= less potential for exposure = less chance of a breakout beyond just fewer players.

It’s not all or nothing. The league has a billion dollar industry to think about. The players didn’t have to come back if they didn’t want to agree with the rules. They’re being paid millions.

We have numerous ways of interacting remotely in 2021. Not to mention they broke two rules, the house guest and the mask. The masks would have at least mitigated some of the risk.

5% better chance of not derailing a multi billion dollar industry? Sure there should be rules.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I also edited my previous post, but:

The mandatory quarantine is due to the state of Virginia (where the Caps are based right outside of Washington DC) rules, and not the NHL or the Capitals organization.

Virginia requires you to quarantine yourself for 7 days if in contact with someone who tested positive. And those 7 days cover the next 4 games.

7 day quarantine with a negative test
10 day quarantine with no testing

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Through the contact tracing process, the team and league learned all four Russians hung out multiple times together in a Pittsburgh hotel room during their road trip, according to one person with knowledge of the matter. At those gatherings, which violated NHL protocols, the players watched sports and played video games.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/01/21/ilya-samsonov-coronavirus-positive-test/

I understand why they have the rules but they share a locker room basically every day. + busses, planes etc. Yet can't hang out in the hotel room.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
Is it too much to ask for a professional player who makes millions to respect a minimum of rules for a few months?

What would you say if doctors and nurses were careless and hanging out in bars while giving cares to some of your family members? They are idiots, that's it. I hope they don't get paid for that period of time

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
I can't believe 11 months into this virus and people are still completely clueless on how to mitigate its spread. This virus did one thing: confirm that a giant portion of people walking on this earth are selfish, dumb as rocks, afraid of what they don't understand and therefore deny it, and most likely all three.

If they are sitting on the bench together, why don't they just have an orgy at night with randoms? I just drove 120mph in my car drunk and had no issues. DUI rules are stupid.

Holy shit what a bunch of knuckle dragging idiots.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
I understand why they have the rules but they share a locker room basically every day. + busses, planes etc. Yet can't hang out in the hotel room.
Required instances to carry out a season vs not necessary instances of increased exposure risk. It’s really simple.

They can’t eliminate all risk, but they can do all they can to mitigate.

Also they normally wear masks. Or they’re supposed to and can assume increasingly harsh punishments if it’s continually broken. They were on a room together without masks, which is such a simple thing, just slip it on 0 effort. It’s frustrating how entitled Kuz sounds in a recent interview about the covid rules, then this happens.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
More time=more potential exposure to virus= more risk of breakouts messing up the season.

Less time= less potential for exposure = less chance of a breakout beyond just fewer players.

It’s not all or nothing. The league has a billion dollar industry to think about. The players didn’t have to come back if they didn’t want to agree with the rules. They’re being paid millions.

We have numerous ways of interacting remotely in 2021. Not to mention they broke two rules, the house guest and the mask. The masks would have at least mitigated some of the risk.

5% better chance of not derailing a multi billion dollar industry? Sure there should be rules.

It's truly common sense. Well said.

Reactions: GoJetsGo55

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008

Um... because they HAVE to do those things in order to have a NHL season. That's the risk/reward. Extracurricular activities that aren't pertinent to completing the NHL season need to be curtailed. This isn't rocket science.

That's like saying I go to the grocery store because.. you know... I f***ing need food, so why not just go to house parties with dozens of other people?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
In a year the NHL is making less money than any previous season, they are paying extra for certain accommodations. It may seem like an over-reaction to not have players hang out in the hotels, but that is something they are paying for extra (although, given travel right now they may be getting better hotel rates than ever), and it is something the players agreed to. All the risk they are supposed to take on (sitting on the bench together, at practice and air-travel are all in the furtherance of playing a season). The PA agreed to these rules, and if the players don't like it, they could have opted out.

Reactions: ps241 and thammias

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Um... because they HAVE to do those things in order to have a NHL season. That's the risk/reward. Extracurricular activities that aren't pertinent to completing the NHL season need to be curtailed. This isn't rocket science.

That's like saying I go to the grocery store because.. you know... I f***ing need food, so why not just go to house parties with dozens of other people?

No it isn't. Not even remotely close and an awful comparison. :facepalm:

These guys are around each other almost 24/7. I get its the rules, I'm just saying they are already by each others side for most of the day anyhow. Not like they went out to a strip club and openly flaunted the rules. I personally don't think its as bad as some are making it out to be.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Plus in this case, it's a goalie who tested positive. So when they're playing, he's not "breathing next to them on the bench." When he's sitting, he's at the end of the bench not expending any energy. All while in a spacious rink. Ditto for when he's in a (less-spacious) locker room.

So yeah...being in a small hotel room for an extended period of time with other players...that's absolutely different than the scenarios you'd face for practice/games. Team buses and planes will also have better air-filtration systems than hotel rooms.

And that doesn't even take into account that it's all just in the name of mitigating risk, however small the effect may be.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Are teammates (goes for all teams) allowed to eat breakfast and lunch together in a common area? Or must they all disperse away from each other to avoid situations like this. Honest question.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Are teammates (goes for all teams) allowed to eat breakfast and lunch together in a common area? Or must they all disperse away from each other to avoid situations like this. Honest question.

They'd have to wear masks and distance.

It's only when the change, play hockey, practice, train ect that they are in close contact.

Ya, typing that out feels stupid haha

AdvancedPressure

Jan 19, 2021
Honestly...I think I might take some heat for this, but it seems kind of ridiculous that these players are being shamed in the way that they are. It's not like they were out at a strip club at 4:00 am or something. And, I have to say, I kind of agree with the comments made by Ovi's wife (see link). It seems a little absurd that these guys who are sharing a locker room together are getting slapped for hanging out in a hotel room after the game. But what do I know.

Ovechkin's wife blasts the NHL for fining Capitals and shaming her husband

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Sucks for us. Bound to happen to many teams. Kinda wish the boys lied and never said they hung out in a hotel room with Samsonov.

2 questions:

1. Why arent the Caps games postponed like the Canes and Stars games? Are 4 players not enough and you need 5 or more for postponements?

2. I thought NHL protocol to get off the list is to test negative twice in 48 hours. Assuming only Samsonov is a positive, why cant OV Kutz Orloz play on Sunday (assuming negative tests?) Why are OV and co not allowed to play for at least 4 games?

Okay thats like 4 questions ... obviously id like the benefit Canes and Stars received. Or at least to see some consistency. 4 games in a 56 game season kinda hurts.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Even if the guild lines seem wrong to the players, just follow them anyways, so this exact issue doesn’t hurt your team’s chances for winning. It’s all about making personal sacrifices. These four guys didn’t follow the rules, as agreed to by the league, players, and health authorities. These guys are filthy rich. Get iPads and do that “group chat” thing.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Honestly...I think I might take some heat for this, but it seems kind of ridiculous that these players are being shamed in the way that they are. It's not like they were out at a strip club at 4:00 am or something. And, I have to say, I kind of agree with the comments made by Ovi's wife (see link). It seems a little absurd that these guys who are sharing a locker room together are getting slapped for hanging out in a hotel room after the game. But what do I know.

Ovechkin's wife blasts the NHL for fining Capitals and shaming her husband

It’s good OV’s wife speaks up to defend her husband. He seems like a really good person, and everyone makes a mistake. And this was not anything nasty.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
I also edited my previous post, but:

The mandatory quarantine is due to the state of Virginia (where the Caps are based right outside of Washington DC) rules, and not the NHL or the Capitals organization.

Virginia requires you to quarantine yourself for 7 days if in contact with someone who tested positive. And those 7 days cover the next 4 games.

7 day quarantine with a negative test
10 day quarantine with no testing

Ill defer to you on this but I am somewhat skeptical its VA state law that is requiring OV and co to perhaps sit out 4 games. VA guidelines say you if youve been exposed to someone with a positive, you dont have to quarantine after 5 days and a negative test. If the clock started on Wednesday, day 5 is over on Monday. is it even law or guidelines?

It is safest to stay home for 14 days after last exposure (or contact). If people are not able to stay home for the full 14 days after exposure and do not have symptoms, there are 2 options: You may leave home after Day 10 without testing or after Day 7 if a PCR or antigen test performed on or after Day 5 is negative.
https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/corona...vement-restrictions-public-health-monitoring/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad