Positive test amongst WAS players. OV and 3 others to miss 4 games

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Might be spitballing here but uhhhh the player (s?) testing positive was probably what outed them big dawg
giphy.gif

They knew the rules but didn’t follow them. Take a seat, fellas.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
It's because when they are in that locker room, it's a controlled environment. Everyone in that environment has been tested and cleared so they are allowed to be on the bench together, throw hits, be in close for faceoffs and such.

When they leave that environment, there is a risk that one of them could get infected. If they then choose to hang out with their teammates, they run the risk of spreading it to them.

Essentially:

-In the Bubble: Everyone is cleared and can interact as if all is well.
-Outside the Bubble: Take as many preventative measures as well as mitigate any chances of a spread.

Honestly, I don't care. Maybe they should limit the time they spend with elderly people, but covid poses basically no risk to healthy athletes in their 20s and 30s. I'm not buying this constant fear-mongering anymore. They should be allowed to hang out with their teammates and there isn't anything that would change my mind.

We know how unreliable the tests are, and I bet the one player who tested positive doesn't even have symptoms.

The world has literally gone mad.

Last edited:

insomniac

High on Hockey
Jul 31, 2009
Ottawa
forum.highonhockey.com
I also edited my previous post, but:

The mandatory quarantine is due to the state of Virginia (where the Caps are based right outside of Washington DC) rules, and not the NHL or the Capitals organization.

Virginia requires you to quarantine yourself for 7 days if in contact with someone who tested positive. And those 7 days cover the next 4 games.

7 day quarantine with a negative test
10 day quarantine with no testing

Shouldn’t the entire team be subject to the quarantine then?

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Whoever ratted them out is piece of garbage, hope they find out who. Regardless of what the rules state we're allowed to voice our opinions on them: they're a facade, hypocritical and have zero basis in safety. Smoke and mirrors.
Really? No, I mean really?
My brother in law just did 13 days in the covid hospital up here in Buffalo, NY, where he was intubated. When they came to get him at the house, his heart stopped in the ambulance on the way to the hospital. He's only 52, with no know underlying conditions, it is a direct result of contracting covid. And your concerned with someone ratting them out? Lives are in fact, at stake here, whether you acknowledge that or not is a moot point, it's the reality. We all have a responsibility to step up and say something.

paragon

May 5, 2010
Honestly, if these guys are sharing a locker room together and sharing a bench together I think it's ridiculous that they aren't allowed to hang out with each other.
Might as well suspend any player that spends time with their wife and kids considering they are far more likely to carry the disease than their teammates.

These guys are spitting, rinsing their mouths, blowing their noses while in the rink and they get suspended for hanging out after the game... Maybe the NHL needs to give automatic suspensions for face washing and implement full face masks while they are at it.

Reactions: Zuluss

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Making them continue with a game when a player has tested positive and has been around the team at practice and in locker rooms still doesn’t seem smart. Certainly other players were likely exposed?

Like making them play because they broke the rules doesn’t seem wise if we’re actually trying to limit covid cases. Stands a good chance that a couple more players or staff could test positive tomorrow or Saturday.

Sorry was this meant to be directed at me? Not sure what that has to do with what I said, but in any case, I agree, if a player tested positive and was forced/allowed to continue to play/practice the team should be fined.

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
Selfishness and stupidity go hand-in-hand.

"Think about how dumb the average person is. Now think that half of them are even dumber!"
People think everyone is dumb, whereas in my household I have had to manage my wife’s postpartum depression and her suicidal thoughts, and sometimes I could care less about the virus if it makes my wife happy to go out or see a family member, because the chances of something else happing to her a much higher than the virus. No one thinks about the other consequences this shit has on people and they just think everyone is dumb.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
People think everyone is dumb, whereas in my household I have had to manage my wife’s postpartum depression and her suicidal thoughts, and sometimes I could care less about the virus if it makes my wife happy to go out or see a family member, because the chances of something else happing to her a much higher than the virus. No one thinks about the other consequences this shit has on people and they just think everyone is dumb.
Damn man that sucks. Hope wifey starts feeling better soon!!!!

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal

Absolutely. That's why you try to find a middle part. you don't need to isolate completly yourself or make crazy parties.
you can see your family outside on a walk.

Postpartum depression is shit. she got to take care of that. It can hit men too. never underestimate that.
It gets better if it's addressed and not ignored.

It's all about risk management and it applies to the NHL.

Reactions: AzHawk

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Shouldn’t the entire team be subject to the quarantine then?

That would be the logical thing to do you would think, but we don't know what the exact circumstances are on who was next to Samsonov or what areas he occupied and stuff. It could be different state protocols between Virginia and North Carolina (for the Canes) on how contact is defined (and therefore who has to quarantine) or if there is a set number of cases per team for the NHL to allow postponement, I really have no idea.

Or it could be like someone said and that if the absences are due to breaches in their own protocol, the NHL will do no favors for that team.

I'm sure that we'll learn more during tonight's pregame show.

well to of the games are against the Sabres so no big deal... And I'm a Sabres fan

Boooooo this man! lol

Last edited:

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
might have had a mild case in offseason I would assume. OV & Orlov would just sit a few day's if that's the case but the ones who don't have antibodies? Well f*ck lol

maybe they were in Russia in the offseason, when Putin had the Russians vaccinating people with the Russian Vaccine, before it was even tested.

I will say this.... I will definitely be spending more time on OV's wife's instagram account. in order to see what else she thinks on the subject. Of course.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Honestly, if these guys are sharing a locker room together and sharing a bench together I think it's ridiculous that they aren't allowed to hang out with each other.
Honestly...I think I might take some heat for this, but it seems kind of ridiculous that these players are being shamed in the way that they are. It's not like they were out at a strip club at 4:00 am or something. And, I have to say, I kind of agree with the comments made by Ovi's wife (see link). It seems a little absurd that these guys who are sharing a locker room together are getting slapped for hanging out in a hotel room after the game. But what do I know.

Ovechkin's wife blasts the NHL for fining Capitals and shaming her husband
It really is a bit silly, but I guess the thought process is, if they don't put restrictions on it, and one person DOES get it, as has happened here, if the entire team is hanging out in hotel rooms, it's more likely the whole team gets it.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I am not sure if I agree with this statement, as it would be really hard for team to control 20+ players all the time. You cant have anyone on nanny duty 24/7 to make sure players arent doing anything stupid or against the rules. And when they are at home, are you going to have a person standing in front of their house all the time, to make sure they dont break the protocol?
I completely understand what you're saying - but is that really the leagues problem? If that's the protocol, the teams have to follow, and it should in my opinion, fall on the teams to enforce that with their players. I'm sure it's not easy, and hey, I don't even blame the players. I'm not calling them selfish. This is new for everybody and it's hard to travel and be around your teammates while also not being around your teammates. I just think these teams are the ones who have to deal with it. It's a shitty situation.

Brownies

It’s very disturbing how many people adamantly support all rules, regardless of their merit.
I think most people approve and support the rules and do not blindly follow them. There's not any decision currently available that would reduce the risk of catching and spreading the virus to 0%, so every little ways we can find that reduce it by 2-5-10% are fine with me if it's manageable.

Reactions: AzHawk

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010

I'm sure a lot of players on a lot of teams around the league have broken protocol. The only reason the Caps players got caught was because of Samsonov's positive test.

With this story breaking out though, players will think twice about breaking it from now on. Even for something innocent like playing Monopoly or video games.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
It’s very disturbing how many people adamantly support all rules, regardless of their merit.

It's disturbing how many people automatically dismiss rules for the sake of dismissing rules. Or how many people think that making this type of comment adds anything to the discussion.

Reactions: foggyvisor

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Really? No, I mean really?
My brother in law just did 13 days in the covid hospital up here in Buffalo, NY, where he was intubated. When they came to get him at the house, his heart stopped in the ambulance on the way to the hospital. He's only 52, with no know underlying conditions, it is a direct result of contracting covid. And your concerned with someone ratting them out? Lives are in fact, at stake here, whether you acknowledge that or not is a moot point, it's the reality. We all have a responsibility to step up and say something.

That's terrible to hear. Hope he pulls through.

Reactions: Yatzhee

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
Can someone answer this question please?

NBCSN showed Marshawn Lynch playing and practicing with the Avalanche, with no mask on. How did allowing him to even be on the ice with the player follow protocol, let alone on the ice without a mask?

Did anyone else find this strange?

Last edited:

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
Can someone answer this question please?

NBCSN showed Marshawn Lynch playing and practicing with the Avalanche, with no mask on. How did allowing him to even be on the ice with the player follow protocol, let alone on the ice without a mask?

Did anyone else find this strange?

It's professional sports so it's essential. Like Amazon deliveries. Without it, our lives might become slightly inconvenienced.

But yeah, essential and athletes don't have to wear masks while playing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad