Positive test amongst WAS players. OV and 3 others to miss 4 games

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I was under the impression that teams would be testing regularly and the possibility of COVID would be low... i guess where there is no bubble...risk will always be high. Caps could miss the playoffs right here and right now...

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Whoever ratted them out is piece of garbage, hope they find out who. Regardless of what the rules state we're allowed to voice our opinions on them: they're a facade, hypocritical and have zero basis in safety. Smoke and mirrors.
No one ratted them out.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Whoever ratted them out is piece of garbage, hope they find out who. Regardless of what the rules state we're allowed to voice our opinions on them: they're a facade, hypocritical and have zero basis in safety. Smoke and mirrors.
Whoever ratted them out has a sense of justice and won't get peer pressured into doing the wrong thing.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
why are the carolina games postponed but washingtons arent?

The example I just heard on ESPN was they used the NFL as a comparison.

--Some games were postponed when the league didnt find their protocols broken
--In the capitals case they found protocols were broken so the game wasnt postponed, said it was similar to when the Denver Broncos had to put a wide receiver at QB, and didnt postpone that game because they found the team broke protocols.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
The example I just heard on ESPN was they used the NFL as a comparison.

--Some games were postponed when the league didnt find their protocols broken
--In the capitals case they found protocols were broken so the game wasnt postponed, said it was similar to when the Denver Broncos had to put a wide receiver at QB, and didnt postpone that game because they found the team broke protocols.

Huh. So I guess a sort of punishment by inaction.

All 4 are significant players, and 4 games without them (more in the case of Samsonov) while they are quarantined could be like docking them games.

Thats really harsh.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
You’d think OV and the caps were out partying with strippers with some of these hollier than thou comments. I don’t like doing whataboutism or the everyone is doing it excuse .... but I’m sure every team has groups of players hanging out in hotel rooms without masks.

difference is Caps had a positive test and the players were honest.

lesson - if you get a positive test back, everyone just say they wore their mask and you’re good.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto

All 4 are significant players, and 4 games without them (more in the case of Samsonov) while they are quarantined could be like docking them games.

Thats really harsh.

Probably shouldn't have broken the rules then, huh.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
Whoever ratted them out has a sense of justice and won't get peer pressured into doing the wrong thing.
Nobody ratted them out though, they admitted to doing it during the contact tracing after Samsonov tested positive for covid.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario

Thats really harsh.

yeah I think it comes down to the league had evidence that the protocols were broken.
So they arent going to bail out the team. Being shorthanded itself is the punishment, especially when you consider this is only a 56 game season.

I mean they are missing 7% of the games, which is pretty significant.
I think the standings at the end of the year are going to be razor thin.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
why are the carolina games postponed but washingtons arent?
The amount of players affected. There were what 5 players tested positive? That would mean a lot of the team would have to quarantine due to close contact. Caps had 1 positive and only 4 others in close contact.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Probably shouldn't have broken the rules then, huh.
Making them continue with a game when a player has tested positive and has been around the team at practice and in locker rooms still doesn’t seem smart. Certainly other players were likely exposed?

Like making them play because they broke the rules doesn’t seem wise if we’re actually trying to limit covid cases. Stands a good chance that a couple more players or staff could test positive tomorrow or Saturday.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
The silver lining here is that the Caps aren't losing the next 4 games. The reason is that Connor McMichael will have to be inserted into the lineup, and he's about to tear the league a new one.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Jakub Vrana finally gets a crack at 1LW and Vanecek gets more ice time (in front of a weaker) team than he was probably hoping for!

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Most of that is crap. Tons of teams were playing games or going to the pool in their off time in the bubble, including teams that went pretty deep in the playoffs. These guys aren’t training and studying film 24/7. And outside of covid, hanging out watching tv and playing games is pretty normal road trip stuff for hockey teams.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Considering the fact that they're in close contact without masks for extended periods at practice and games, I can definitely see how people find these rules kinda ridiculous (I personally thought everyone could have like 1-2 designated people to hang with).

Regardless of that, they're the ones that agreed to these rules, and are paid a ridiculous $um to follow them. Sucks for OV and Caps fans, but we should all be glad the NHL is taking COVID protocol very seriously (and hopefully no other NHL players will try to break it now).

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Im confused.. why cant four Washington Capital players hangout in a hotel room and game?

Honestly, if these guys are sharing a locker room together and sharing a bench together I think it's ridiculous that they aren't allowed to hang out with each other.

It's because when they are in that locker room, it's a controlled environment. Everyone in that environment has been tested and cleared so they are allowed to be on the bench together, throw hits, be in close for faceoffs and such.

When they leave that environment, there is a risk that one of them could get infected. If they then choose to hang out with their teammates, they run the risk of spreading it to them.

Essentially:

-In the Bubble: Everyone is cleared and can interact as if all is well.
-Outside the Bubble: Take as many preventative measures as well as mitigate any chances of a spread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->