Positive test amongst WAS players. OV and 3 others to miss 4 games

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
There was a thread about OV, Ilya Samsonov, Evgeny Kuznetsov and Dmitry Orlov being placed in the COVID protocol, but it got locked because few people couldnt help themselves but talk about virus (hope this doesnt go that way)

Laviolette announced earlier that one Caps player tested positive, and that OV and co will miss 4 games due to being in the covid protocol.

I guess all Pens players and staff will now be tested, as they just finished playing back to back games against each another.

Alex Ovechkin among Washington Capitals to miss four games due to COVID-19 protocols - TSN.ca

Reactions: CanuckCity

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Unfortunate for Washington
Wouldn't Samsonov have also interacted with other teammates in the locker room etc.?

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017

Woncka

Jan 19, 2021
Through the contact tracing process, the team and league learned all four Russians hung out multiple times together in a Pittsburgh hotel room during their road trip, according to one person with knowledge of the matter. At those gatherings, which violated NHL protocols, the players watched sports and played video games.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/01/21/ilya-samsonov-coronavirus-positive-test/
Im confused.. why cant four Washington Capital players hangout in a hotel room and game?

Green

Nov 13, 2019
Another nail in the coffin for Ovies chance at beating the Great One's record, can't afford to miss any games at this stage in his career

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
Im confused.. why cant four Washington Capital players hangout in a hotel room and game?
As it says above, it is against NHL protocols. Read the article, it has a lot more info on what is allowed and what not (right or wrong is moot point)

Last edited:
Reactions: Cygnusx1018

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Through the contact tracing process, the team and league learned all four Russians hung out multiple times together in a Pittsburgh hotel room during their road trip, according to one person with knowledge of the matter. At those gatherings, which violated NHL protocols, the players watched sports and played video games.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/01/21/ilya-samsonov-coronavirus-positive-test/
obviously I don’t know exactly what happened/ the protocols in place, but “Watched Sports and played video games” seems rather harmless no?
Just seems unlucky.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
People really need to understand this isn’t the bubble, and the tests they use aren’t perfect by any stretch. They can miss the early days of a covid positive even if that player is already breathing out the virus. Hence the masks.
It’s not “hypocritical” they use masks sometimes and not others. There’s an excepted degree of risk, that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t limit it when they can... spending 3 hours together 2-3 times a week (realistically less, since not literally every single player is spending he entire game in the face of literally every single other player.) isn’t the same as spending tons of time every where else without a mask AND playing games.

I’m more pissed at the players than the NHL. Even IF there was no logic to the rules, they knew the rules. And it’s such a minor inconvenience af worst, just wear a mask at least. Maybe if they’d broken guest rules but had masks it’d be less harsh. They were dumb.
What they did was so flagrantly against the rules that knowing it would get out meant the league HAS to punish them to send a message. They want as many of their stars playing as possible. Punish these ones now to send a message to the rest.

tl:dr

There’s no system the league can have that will be bulletproof... but it’s a multi billion dollar industry on the line, tv deal etc.. they need to try some set of rules, *and the players need to stick to them.

I’m a caps fan and I’m more pissed at the players than the league. The rules were obvious and the league was going to have to send a harsh message to the whole league if it kept happening. The players breaking of the rules were so flagrant and unnecessary as opposed to playing the actual game.

Less exposure= less chance of infecting more people.

More exposure more risk.

tl:dr

Another block of text incoming

Last edited:

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
Nastya, OV's wife isnt happy about this lol. How do OV and Orlov have anti-bodies is what I want to know

upload_2021-1-21_13-11-9.png

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
obviously I don’t know exactly what happened/ the protocols in place, but “Watched Sports and played video games” seems rather harmless no?
Just seems unlucky.

The fine was for the break in protocol.

The missing games is not a punishment/suspension, but a mandatory quarantine because one of them (Samsonov) tested positive for Covid.

Edit: The mandatory quarantine is due to the state of Virginia (where the Caps are based right outside of Washington DC) rules, and not the NHL or the Capitals organization.

Virginia requires you to quarantine yourself for 7 days if in contact with someone who tested positive. And those 7 days cover the next 4 games.

7 day quarantine with a negative test
10 day quarantine with no testing​

Last edited:

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Just seems unlucky.
In close quarters with no masks.

They’re not supposed to interact too frequently with too many people outside of necessary situations to play the game. And then the masks are just too easy to excuse them...

They are being paid many millions. I’m broke and I’ve still managed to Skype with people, play video games talking thru a headset, phonecalls, fantasy sports etc.

I Skyped watching a movie with someone who was sick. “What moment are you at paused at? Okay, one two three”

DeeVeeUss

Apr 12, 2017
Naples, FL
Whoever ratted them out is piece of garbage, hope they find out who. Regardless of what the rules state we're allowed to voice our opinions on them: they're a facade, hypocritical and have zero basis in safety. Smoke and mirrors.
Might be spitballing here but uhhhh the player (s?) testing positive was probably what outed them big dawg

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Whoever ratted them out is piece of garbage, hope they find out who. Regardless of what the rules state we're allowed to voice our opinions on them: they're a facade, hypocritical and have zero basis in safety. Smoke and mirrors.
I guess the players themselves are garbage then.

From the article:

“I know that there was a positive case and through their tracing and their tracking, the players were honest with what they did,” Washington Coach Peter Laviolette said Thursday.

They agreed to the policy, broke it, and owned up to it like adults.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010

No rat, but contact tracing.

Samsonov's Covid test came back positive, and because of contact tracing, he had to tell them all the people he was in contact with. The team then went to Ovechkin, Orlov and Kuznetsov and they all told them the truth.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Ovechkin missed only 31 games in his first 15 seasons.

Add to these 4 to the list and the vast majority of them are self-induced (suspensions, skipping All-Star games, ignoring COVID regulations).

Pretty impressive.
Don't forget that the NHL stopped him from playing the 2003-04 season with the Florida Panthers as well.

How Ovechkin has been threated by the League during the years is criminal :mad: and this whole situation is either downright comical :laugh: or seriously depressing:( depending on how you look at things...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->