Speculation: POLL: Would you match the offer sheet on KK ?

Would you match the offer sheet ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I think Carolina is getting f***ing boned. A first rounder in this league when you just lost your best Dman and your goalie? Washington, Pittsburgh, NYI, up and coming Rangers squad, and the devil's who just got your dman and improved it this offseason. Take the picks and move on.
You make me realise that this mistake might be hurting them. I think they are still a good team but because of this mistake they might be out of PO by a little margin. This division seems to be strong, every pts are important. Well, we'll see.

Reactions: Marc BergeFan

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
You make me realise that this mistake might be hurting them. I think they are still a good team but because of this mistake they might be out of PO by a little margin. This division seems to be strong, every pts are important. Well, we'll see.

The Metro is super tight. Outside of CBJ, every team is hungry. Even NJD is going to be tough this year, at Carolina's own expense (Hamilton). I still see the Canes as a wildcard team, but the cushion is razor thin in that division. That 1st being a lottery pick is not a pie in the sky fantasy. And at the very least, it could have been used to help them make the playoffs (along with that cap space they had).

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
So you want to throw away yet another top 6 player?

I don’t think anyone wants to “throw away” anything, the Canes just played their revenge move perfectly. Kotkaniemi is a very good young player, but he’s not worth 6.1 million. He just isn’t that valuable. Will he get there eventually? Maybe. But this contract offered by Carolina, essentially eliminates any bridge deal (thus team control), completely messes up the Canadiens internal cap (If they match) and if they don’t, leaves them with a Grand Canyon sized gaping hole at center. It’s going to hurt no matter what happens, which is of course the beauty of this offer sheet. I don’t think Bergevin will match, I think he’ll take the picks and start horse trading, which is one area where he does do reasonably well, but with such a big hole other teams will be taking advantage. Shapes up to be another interesting month in the drama filled Habs offseason of 2021.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
I don’t think anyone wants to “throw away” anything, the Canes just played their revenge move perfectly. Kotkaniemi is a very good young player, but he’s not worth 6.1 million. He just isn’t that valuable. Will he get there eventually? Maybe. But this contract offered by Carolina, essentially eliminates any bridge deal (thus team control), completely messes up the Canadiens internal cap (If they match) and if they don’t, leaves them with a Grand Canyon sized gaping hole at center. It’s going to hurt no matter what happens, which is of course the beauty of this offer sheet. I don’t think Bergevin will match, I think he’ll take the picks and start horse trading, which is one area where he does do reasonably well, but with such a big hole other teams will be taking advantage. Shapes up to be another interesting month in the drama filled Habs offseason of 2021.

Doesn't matter what he's worth, we can easily drop salary and eat it for a year. Next year they can restructure a long-term deal to push the cap number down to what it was going to be anyway. Carolina finished third in the league this year and might drop a bit, but that's still a terrible pick to get back for KK, and trading for an older replacement sets us back down the road. He needs to be matched.

We already lost Danault and who knows what they'll do with Drouin. We can't afford to lose KK too, not if we want to be real contenders in a couple years.

Reactions: BaseballCoach

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
The Metro is super tight. Outside of CBJ, every team is hungry. Even NJD is going to be tough this year, at Carolina's own expense (Hamilton). I still see the Canes as a wildcard team, but the cushion is razor thin in that division. That 1st being a lottery pick is not a pie in the sky fantasy. And at the very least, it could have been used to help them make the playoffs (along with that cap space they had).
Canes will battle for first in the Metro. Even with letting Hamilton go to his fourth NHL team.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Bergevin has become be the face of the franchise. Much like Burke was in Toronto. He likes the drama and the camera.

Reactions: BLONG7 and amethyst

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Basically, he has 3 RFA years left after next year. If he has another meh season, good luck trying to bridge him for 2 years cause then his agent uses that arbitration leverage. So it would likely be a forced long term deal at $4M+ or let him walk for nothing.

Canes played the revenge card well but if we don't match, it could back fire on them. I feel there are risks to both sides. I'd take the picks

Reactions: Whalers Fan

Hoochi Papa

Oct 17, 2020
If there's 4 x 3 million extension in books for January, sure why not. Bergy's shitty offer sheet stung Habs in the ass and all things considered, it might be better let him go. In 1-2 years KK isn't worth 1st if he continues on this path.

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
And if they miss the playoffs Bergeven can thank them with "15" different tweets at 15:00 on the 15th day of seasons end ;)

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
So the day before the offer sheet, if someone offered a late 1st and late 3rd in 2022, for KK, would you take it ? ( I know its not as straightforward as that because now he comes with a $6.1M Cap hit ), just curious.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
So the day before the offer sheet, if someone offered a late 1st and late 3rd in 2022, for KK, would you take it ? ( I know its not as straightforward as that because now he comes with a $6.1M Cap hit ), just curious.
If he was paid 6.1m likely yes. 6.1m is ridiculous for KK

jakobsbror

Oct 17, 2013
I've given it a bit of thought and here's my prediction.

We won't match the offer. Here's a tentative quote: "We were planning to match the offer. However talking to Jesper's agent, it sounded like he wants a new fresh start and we have to respect that. We hope that he will succeed with his new team."

Now we'll use the 1st round pick right after to trade for a veteran centerman who happens to speak FRENCH. I expect a trade of the type 1st round pick (CAR) + B-type prospect (Poehling, Ylonen or Harris) + low draft pick

3 options:

1/ Duchene (50% retained)
2/ Giroux (retained)
3/ Dubois

Hear me out. The habs expect the backlash to be tremendous and to counter it they need to get some approval from the fanbase. What better way than to get another french-speaking player?

In all cases it will be very entertaining and I'll get my popcorn out.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I've given it a bit of thought and here's my prediction.

We won't match the offer. Here's a tentative quote: "We were planning to match the offer. However talking to Jesper's agent, it sounded like he wants a new fresh start and we have to respect that. We hope that he will succeed with his new team."

Now we'll use the 1st round pick right after to trade for a veteran centerman who happens to speak FRENCH. I expect a trade of the type 1st round pick (CAR) + B-type prospect (Poehling, Ylonen or Harris) + low draft pick

3 options:

1/ Duchene (50% retained)
2/ Giroux (retained)
3/ Dubois

Hear me out. The habs expect the backlash to be tremendous and to counter it they need to get some approval from the fanbase. What better way than to get another french-speaking player?

In all cases it will be very entertaining and I'll get my popcorn out.
There won’t be a backlash, every single poll is heavily skewed towards take the picks (granted very small sample set) - if anything MBs bought goodwill IMO.

Now if there isn’t a follow up deal prior or after announcing Habs position to let KK walk... yeah I could see a backlash

BTW - I don’t think Duchene would cost much, but still don’t want the player or contract

Last edited:

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
No. I'd keep him and hope he develops into a top-6 C.

The offer sheet, however, changes everything. The salary cap implications, the drama, the likelihood we're going to have to let him walk for free next off-season.

He can f*** off for all I care.

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
If the Canes end up missing the playoffs, and the Habs just keep the 1st rounder for the draft (maybe they trade their own 1st rounder instead), I hope MB personally shows up to the draft loto wearing a Canes #20 jersey.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Let Carolina pay a third line center 6+ million over the next however many years, add another black eye to Bergevin's already terrible record as he gets humiliated in front of the league, tank in one of the deeper draft years, and hopefully a new GM next year.
Yet again a poster who wants to walk from KK calls for a full tank.

Unless Bergevin can parlay the two picks that would come from Carolina into a specific and terrific player, walking away is a terrible idea and a terrible precedent. It's telling the league they can come and take our young players anytime they are not signed in advance of the yearly free agent day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad