(POLL RESET) Who WILL be the Sabres next coach?

Who WILL be the Sabres next coach?

• Total voters

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
One thing that will for sure be a factor in the coaching search is Karmanos.

Karmanos has history with Tocchet, Jacques Martin, Mark Recchi, Kirk Muller, and John MacLean. If you are keeping Granato, surronding him with Martin and Tocchet wouldn't be horrible.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
One thing that will for sure be a factor in the coaching search is Karmanos.

Karmanos has history with Tocchet, Jacques Martin, Mark Recchi, Kirk Muller, and John MacLean. If you are keeping Granato, surronding him with Martin and Tocchet wouldn't be horrible.
Tocchet looks like a crook, ask Arizona fans. Would definitely prefer Granato to a coach like Tocchet. We don't need a younger and more modern version Krueger.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Tocchet looks like a crook, ask Arizona fans. Would definitely prefer Granato to a coach like Tocchet. We don't need a younger and more modern version Krueger.

The Sabres need to fill out an entire coaching staff. Granato will need assistants, if he is hired. He has very little relationships throughout NHL (Kevin Dineen is about the only guy that you could tie to him as a potential assistant). Relationships rule in sports. Teams love to build off guys they already know. I was naming guys that could be HC, but also assistants.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
The Sabres need to fill out an entire coaching staff. Granato will need assistants, if he is hired. He has very little relationships throughout NHL (Kevin Dineen is about the only guy that you could tie to him as a potential assistant). Relationships rule in sports. Teams love to build off guys they already know. I was naming guys that could be HC, but also assistants.
Even an assistant, you need the right people who will not interfere and do stupid things.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
This is a nice interview with Donny "Meatballs" (yes they brought up his nickname on social media)

Since day #1 I've wanted Boudreau or Gallant, but I will say this much: Granato is the best interview in Sabres Hockey since Tim Murray. He is extremely well spoken and seemingly very honest, I think fans appreciate his honestly very much.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I think he has a lot of relationships in the NHL. I wouldn't assume he only knows guys he's coached with. He's met a lot of people coming up through the ranks.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
I think he has a lot of relationships in the NHL. I wouldn't assume he only knows guys he's coached with. He's met a lot of people coming up through the ranks.

He really doesn't have much time in the NHL and certainty not much recent time. Most of his recent experience is with USA development.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Not many viable options for assistants there. Like I stated earlier, only one is really Dineen.

The better relationships are through Karmanos

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they went with Ellis, Girardi, and Bales

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Not many viable options for assistants there. Like I stated earlier, only one is really Dineen.

The better relationships are through Karmanos

There are options beyond just the coaches that he has been on staff with previously.

And from that list, Kompon would be a great add if he's not back with the Jets.

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
You just can't do it. Ellis and Girardi need to go back to the positions they were in. You need good teachers across all levels.
Our young guys seemed to play just fine with those guys. How do you become “names” and get “experience” by actually becoming a name and getting experience. Granato deserves the job 100 percent . Donnie in charge we know we are gonna get the best possible line combinations nightly that make sense. Get the guy some goaltending and we’ll see.

Reactions: WiHockeyGuy

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Why did he only talk to college coaches? Or Pegulas do not give money for an experienced coach.
Could be no money. Could be experienced coaches not wanting to interview with us. We are a coaching graveyard right now. Have any of our coaches since Ruff gotten a head coaching job in the NHL after being fired by the Sabres?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad