(POLL RESET) Who WILL be the Sabres next coach?

Who WILL be the Sabres next coach?

• Total voters

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
seems like they are not seeing Gallant as an option because it would be news like the Rangers had to ask Vegas for permission.
What I don't understand is why Adams hasn't done this since Krueger got fired, he had enough time to interview vacant options, now all the other teams who fired their coaches at the end of the season are in competition so he probably won't even get what he wants.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
How do you plan to be good "for a long time" when your best players continually jump ship?

This team isn't in a dumping Marcell Dareus to change the locker room scenario, it's doing the equivalent of giving away Josh Allen and Stefon Diggs once every two-to-three years
Examples? O'Reilly was terrible but what do you mean every 2 years?

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I'm including Eichel and Reinhart being traded soon
I think they were embarrassed by the O'Reilly trade. Probably why they didn't move Risto. It's going to take a lot to get Eichel. Reinhart is a different story because he's unsigned. I think he could move for futures, which IMO would be another terrible decision. I would rather overpay Reinhart.

Reactions: TheCerebral1

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I think they were embarrassed by the O'Reilly trade. Probably why they didn't move Risto. It's going to take a lot to get Eichel. Reinhart is a different story because he's unsigned. I think he could move for futures, which IMO would be another terrible decision. I would rather overpay Reinhart.

This makes some sense, but Reinhart is still in his prime coming off a primed season. For teams in their creative window he'd be a boon to add. He's an elite wall player, that offers so much value in multiple roles.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
This makes some sense, but Reinhart is still in his prime coming off a primed season. For teams in their creative window he'd be a boon to add. He's an elite wall player, that offers so much value in multiple roles.
But Reinhart actually has the most leverage. He's a UFA in 1 year. Which means he controls his destiny pretty much. In less than a year the Sabres have to trade him.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
I don't think coaches from "old boys network" are even on the radar. When the Pegulas fired Botterill and hired Adams they said (paraphrase), "we listened to "hockey people" and this is where it got us". They didn't listen close enough because there were numerous reports they were advised to hire an experienced GM but that's besides the point. They don't trust people that cut their teeth in NHL management.

This is a direct quote from Kim Pegula: "We have learned through past mistakes the quality of the person is more important than their experience, especially if they have a different agenda and do not represent who we are as people or as an organization.”

Adams has had 2 months to be interviewing coaches and he hasn't started. Obviously he has too much on his plate, but I think there's also logistical problems because the Pegulas insist on being involved.

My view is there's a very shallow pool of coaches that are acceptable to the Pegulas. Bob Hartley and David Quinn are the only former NHL coaches that come to mind since they're not embedded in the old boys network. Boudreau could talk his way into the job if he can get an interview, but that's a big if. Maybe he can invoke the Jeanneret Rule that says you have to interview people over 65. I have bad feeling that if they don't hire Granato they're going to make a horrible choice.
thats why I hope(d) they keep Granato because they lucked themselves into him. It took the Rangers a week to interview Gallant after they fired their coach. I can't believe Adams sat on his hands for 2 months. that's too much handsitting for 2 GMs in a row. It seems like they have a hand for making the wrong decision every time, they seem to be 2 stable geniuses.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
There’s absolutely logistical problems with interviewing coaches 2 months ago. Mainly a lot of the candidates were in season. What’s he supposed to do, interview the 3 candidates without a job and hire one of them so he can look productive? Or wait until all coaching decisions have been made so he can interview from the entire pool of candidates. There’s lot of things to pile on Adams about. Not starting his coaching search until the season is actually done doesn’t seem like one of those things imo.

I would have hired the first proven winner that wants to come here, got the hell out of his way, and oriented hockey ops to find players that fit his system. In other words, Boudreau would already be the coach. Don't dither and overthink it. If you want something done, hire someone that has already done it and done it well. These broad searches are how we ended up with Housley and Krueger.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
If we are going with a young core and doing a mini rebuild/retool than I am fine bringing Granato back for 2 years as a development type head coach.

No more than 2 years tho.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Voted for Granato, if we are running almost all kids next year. He seems like the best option to actually allow the kids to play and develop them.

He's the first coach we've had that didn't chose bad veterans over kids.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
they think so much out of the box that they become the box
They're going to be the first team in history to broadcast the Live Unboxing of their new coach. It will the highlight of the Sabres Embedded Series.

upload_2021-5-14_19-25-35.png

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Remember, the poll question is who you think is most likely to become the head coach of the Sabres, not who you want to become head coach

I'm personally disappointed the goofy options were removed, they gave people who didn't take the poll seriously an outlet (though those same people can now vote for Brind'amour since it's been reported that his extension has already been all but agreed to with Carolina)

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
I would have hired the first proven winner that wants to come here, got the hell out of his way, and oriented hockey ops to find players that fit his system. In other words, Boudreau would already be the coach. Don't dither and overthink it. If you want something done, hire someone that has already done it and done it well. These broad searches are how we ended up with Housley and Krueger.
Fair point of view. No real argument against it. I’d prefer to have all options available first. But if you know you have your guy available, go and get him and start building.

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018
It's really difficult to vote for anyone other than Granato. He did a solid job in the time he had and there is no other coach who has an obvious inside track. Still, there are other great options on the list and there will certainly be multiple coaches added to the list once playoff disappointments start occurring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad