(POLL RESET) Who WILL be the Sabres next coach?

Who WILL be the Sabres next coach?

• Total voters

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Could be no money. Could be experienced coaches not wanting to interview with us. We are a coaching graveyard right now. Have any of our coaches since Ruff gotten a head coaching job in the NHL after being fired by the Sabres?
Well, Boudreau seemed to be hinting that he was not averse to training Buffalo, I will not say about the rest.

Reactions: sabresEH

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
And he is to me BY FAR the best available coach available. Hiring him would also send the message that the Sabres are an actual credible NHL organization.
But we don't know the plans of management and Adams, whether they want to rebuild and go with Granato or a college guy, although it's hard for me to imagine any college coach could get around Granato at this point.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Our young guys seemed to play just fine with those guys. How do you become “names” and get “experience” by actually becoming a name and getting experience. Granato deserves the job 100 percent . Donnie in charge we know we are gonna get the best possible line combinations nightly that make sense. Get the guy some goaltending and we’ll see.

Our defense gave up the most quality chances of any team while Granato was coach. We really don't have much room to change the players on D. We need a better coach for the defense if you want to compete in the NHL.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
A rebuild would essentially be the franchise committing suicide. The reason the Sabres have been able to survive is due to insane levels of fan support. That fan base is dying a horrible death with each season as kids throughout WNY abandon their local team and soon we will become like the New Jersey Nets: A team with no fanbase and people only show up to see the opponent. When that happens it's close to impossible to reverse.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Reactions: RasmWristshotlainen

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
A rebuild would essentially be the franchise committing suicide. The reason the Sabres have been able to survive is due to insane levels of fan support. That fan base is dying a horrible death with each season as kids throughout WNY abandon their local team and soon we will become like the New Jersey Nets: A team with no fanbase and people only show up to see the opponent. When that happens it's close to impossible to reverse.
No it is not. This teams rebuilds properly and competes the fans will pack the arena.

Reactions: joshjull

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
And he is to me BY FAR the best available coach available. Hiring him would also send the message that the Sabres are an actual credible NHL organization.

Agreed. This seems like a no brainer. This isn’t Dan Bylsma I have 3 years experience with the best players in the league—Boudreau is one of the winningest coaches in league history. The turnarounds he’s orchestrated in Washington, Anaheim, and Minnesota are very impressive.

Maybe it’s not a no brainer but like a 2% brainer. That said, I’m worried that such a threshold is still too high for the people running the Sabres.

Reactions: sabremike

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Agreed. This seems like a no brainer. This isn’t Dan Bylsma I have 3 years experience with the best players in the league—Boudreau is one of the winningest coaches in league history. The turnarounds he’s orchestrated in Washington, Anaheim, and Minnesota are very impressive.

Maybe it’s not a no brainer but like a 2% brainer. That said, I’m worried that such a threshold is still too high for the people running the Sabres.

NHL Records

Forget just wins, BB has the third best Winning% all-time among NHL head coaches with 500+ games coached at .635.

If they hand Granato the job with only interviewing some college coaches, it will be another missed opportunity and one that reeks of the owners being cheap.

The only ways I see Granato as a better choice than BB is either Eichel makes it clear that he really loves Granato and wants him back as a step towards trying to repair the relationship with the team or they are going to do yet another tear down rebuild and move Eichel and Reinhart for non-win now pieces.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
It's really not supposed to take this long to rebuild. Teams go from last to playoffs in 1-2 years in the NHL. The Sabres are the exception. It can turn around fast.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
If Brind'amour was available he'd be my pick. Prognosticating I think the top 3 for the Sabres are:

Boudreau - Best track record available. From the greater area, expensive, getting older. Does he have the energy to fight with an under achieving roster anymore?
Granto - Known quantity, showed some sparks of life, cheaper
Quinn - Works with developing players, Eichel's coach; could keep him happy

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
It's really not supposed to take this long to rebuild. Teams go from last to playoffs in 1-2 years in the NHL. The Sabres are the exception. It can turn around fast.
Yep. We got the bottoming out part right and f***ed up everything else (coaches, overall drafting, development, etc).

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
NHL Records

Forget just wins, BB has the third best Winning% all-time among NHL head coaches with 500+ games coached at .635.

If they hand Granato the job with only interviewing some college coaches, it will be another missed opportunity and one that reeks of the owners being cheap.

The only ways I see Granato as a better choice than BB is either Eichel makes it clear that he really loves Granato and wants him back as a step towards trying to repair the relationship with the team or they are going to do yet another tear down rebuild and move Eichel and Reinhart for non-win now pieces.

I think hiring Granato or any of these college coaches is probably an indication that they’re going with a lot of youth next year. The end result of doing that would be less a expensive coach but I don’t think that means it was the focus.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Lance Lysowski's list. There's a brief bio and explanation of why he listed them. I think I'd adopt another team to follow if they hired Grönborg.

Assessing possible candidates to coach the Sabres in 2021-22

Experienced NHL coaches
John Tortorella, free agent

Bruce Boudreau, free agent

Rick Tocchet, free agent

Gerard Gallant, free agent

Rod Brind’Amour, head coach, Carolina Hurricanes

David Quinn, free agent

Up-and-coming coaches
André Tourigny, head coach, Ottawa 67s (aka the guy that kicked Cozens out of practice)
Rikard Grönborg , head coach, ZSC Lions
Nate Leaman, head coach, Providence College
Pascal Vincent, head coach, Manitoba Moose

Troy Mann, head coach, Belleville Senators

Current NHL assistants
Lane Lambert, assistant coach, New York Islanders
Mike Vellucci, assistant coach, Pittsburgh Penguins

Steve Ott, assistant coach, St. Louis Blues
Rocky Thompson, assistant coach, San Jose Sharks

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Lance Lysowski's list. There's a brief bio and explanation of why he listed them. I think I'd adopt another team to follow if they hired Grönborg.

Experienced NHL coaches

Rick Tocchet, free agent

David Quinn, free agent

Up-and-coming coaches
André Tourigny, head coach, Ottawa 67s (aka the guy that kicked Cozens out of practice)

Current NHL assistants
Pretty good list. Add Greg Carvel of UMass and any coaches canned after early playoff exits.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC

Experienced NHL coaches

Rick Tocchet, free agent

David Quinn, free agent

Up-and-coming coaches

Current NHL assistants
Tourigny just signed a 6 year extension(March 2021) with the 67’s and a 1 year contract as the coach of Team Canada. He’ll be assistant at this years World Championships and at the Olympics next year. He’ll head coach the junior team again and the World Championship team in 2022. He won’t entertain an NHL offer til after that I would imagine.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

Experienced NHL coaches

Rick Tocchet, free agent

David Quinn, free agent

Up-and-coming coaches

Current NHL assistants
But there will be Don Granato :naughty:

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
A Coach's Journey: Troy Mann
Boudreau encouraged him to go into coaching. I wouldn't pick him buts he's done a great job with Belleville.

He made a good point in the article:
"I think one thing the ECHL does for you is it prepares you, because you do so many things there, you don't have multiple coaches and you're doing budgets, worrying about buses and equipment, and you're trying to coach at the same time. If you don't have a work ethic and a drive, the ECHL certainly isn't for you."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad