(POLL RESET) Who WILL be the Sabres next coach?

Who WILL be the Sabres next coach?

• Total voters

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

giphy.gif

Reactions: joshjull

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
A James Dolan owned team making a smart move to at least interview Gallant, before a Pegula owned team. Ouch.

None of the in-demand coaches are going to want to come here after Eichel/Reinhart/Risto made it clear they wanted out, the time to hire one of them was right after Krueger was fired when there was no competition.

Beyond that, someone as unqualified to be an NHL GM as Adams isn't going to be comfortable hiring a coach who's had years of success in the NHL because the power dynamic would be tilted towards the successful NHL head coach

It's a forgone conclusion Granato is the hire and the team will be rebuilding in perpetuity, I'm just gonna wait for the confirmation before I give up on the franchise

I'll become a bandwagon fan if they make the playoffs again while I'm still alive

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
A James Dolan owned team making a smart move to at least interview Gallant, before a Pegula owned team. Ouch.
I don't think coaches from "old boys network" are even on the radar. When the Pegulas fired Botterill and hired Adams they said (paraphrase), "we listened to "hockey people" and this is where it got us". They didn't listen close enough because there were numerous reports they were advised to hire an experienced GM but that's besides the point. They don't trust people that cut their teeth in NHL management.

This is a direct quote from Kim Pegula: "We have learned through past mistakes the quality of the person is more important than their experience, especially if they have a different agenda and do not represent who we are as people or as an organization.”

Adams has had 2 months to be interviewing coaches and he hasn't started. Obviously he has too much on his plate, but I think there's also logistical problems because the Pegulas insist on being involved.

My view is there's a very shallow pool of coaches that are acceptable to the Pegulas. Bob Hartley and David Quinn are the only former NHL coaches that come to mind since they're not embedded in the old boys network. Boudreau could talk his way into the job if he can get an interview, but that's a big if. Maybe he can invoke the Jeanneret Rule that says you have to interview people over 65. I have bad feeling that if they don't hire Granato they're going to make a horrible choice.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
I don't think coaches from "old boys network" are even on the radar. When the Pegulas fired Botterill and hired Adams they said (paraphrase), "we listened to "hockey people" and this is where it got us". They didn't listen close enough because there were numerous reports they were advised to hire an experienced GM but that's besides the point. They don't trust people that cut their teeth in NHL management.

This is a direct quote from Kim Pegula: "We have learned through past mistakes the quality of the person is more important than their experience, especially if they have a different agenda and do not represent who we are as people or as an organization.”

Adams has had 2 months to be interviewing coaches and he hasn't started. Obviously he has too much on his plate, but I think there's also logistical problems because the Pegulas insist on being involved.

My view is there's a very shallow pool of coaches that are acceptable to the Pegulas. Bob Hartley and David Quinn are the only former NHL coaches that come to mind since they're not embedded in the old boys network. Boudreau could talk his way into the job if he can get an interview, but that's a big if. Maybe he can invoke the Jeanneret Rule that says you have to interview people over 65. I have bad feeling that if they don't hire Granato they're going to make a horrible choice.

You're right and I hate that that is how the Pegulas think. They want someone that lets them be involved in the decision making.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
You're right and I hate that that is how the Pegulas think. They want someone that lets them be involved in the decision making.
But who? A guy like Rutherford? Who also advised to hire Krueger. Are you sure he won't recommend hiring another Krueger? I'm not sure.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

The only way the Sabres ever stop being a disaster is if the Pegulas end up getting caught doing something bad and going to prison. They are a level of dumb and incompetent the likes the NHL has never seen.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
But who? A guy like Rutherford? Who also advised to hire Krueger. Are you sure he won't recommend hiring another Krueger? I'm not sure.
Rutherford didn't have any skin in the game. He wasn't taking any risk. If it was for his own team he would have done due diligence and found out how of touch Krueger was with the current systems and demanded specific answers to questions. What kind of idiot would make an important hire based on the advice of a rival and be impressed by a strategy straight out of my pillow guy? :laugh:

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Rutherford didn't have any skin in the game. He wasn't taking any risk. If it was for his own team he would have done due diligence and found out how of touch Krueger was with the current systems and demanded specific answers to questions. What kind of idiot would make an important hire based on the advice of a rival and be impressed by a strategy straight out of my pillow guy? :laugh:
I agree, but there are still some concerns. He is already old, but if he helps to build the organization correctly, this is one thing, but if he advises Adams to make stupid deals and signs and advises to hire another Krueger, then it will be a disaster.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
The only way the Sabres ever stop being a disaster is if the Pegulas end up getting caught doing something bad and going to prison. They are a level of dumb and incompetent the likes the NHL has never seen.
That's just anger talking. They've got it wrong building a management team for the Sabres but this is a 1st class organization. They just don't win yet. They will win. They will get it right eventually.

I really don't know why they continue to go with inexperienced people at GM and coach. It's been a poor strategy to say the least.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
The other option is they luck into a good hire. Ralph Wilson was very much like the Pegulas. He meddled and felt he knew more than his football hires. He had the added factor of always being cheap when hiring GMs and coaches.

He got lucky with one of those cheap hires, Bill Polian. Almost all the success we had after his hiring was him or people he brought into the organization that took over when he left. Of course Polian left after butting heads with Ralph one time too many.

boots electric

Mar 12, 2008
That's just anger talking. They've got it wrong building a management team for the Sabres but this is a 1st class organization. They just don't win yet. They will win. They will get it right eventually.

I really don't know why they continue to go with inexperienced people at GM and coach. It's been a poor strategy to say the least.

it's easier to manipulate and boss around people that don't have experience in their role

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
it's easier to manipulate and boss around people that don't have experience in their role
They hired legitimate candidates. Adams is the first one that really doesn't deserve the position of GM.

If Adams/Granato is the combination they choose to move forward with then that would likely be the weakest/least deserving GM/coach they've hired.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
John Davidson would be a good hire as President. Has a lot of respect around the league and has the charisma to deal with the Pegulas.

As far as coach, it depends on what is going to happen here. If they are blowing it all up, if Eichel, Reinhart, Risto and Ullmark are gone then stick with Granato.

If Eichel, Reinhart, Ullmark are back then that changes the dynamic and type of coach that might be interested.

Until the vision is clear, the coaching hire is in limbo.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC

There’s absolutely logistical problems with interviewing coaches 2 months ago. Mainly a lot of the candidates were in season. What’s he supposed to do, interview the 3 candidates without a job and hire one of them so he can look productive? Or wait until all coaching decisions have been made so he can interview from the entire pool of candidates. There’s lot of things to pile on Adams about. Not starting his coaching search until the season is actually done doesn’t seem like one of those things imo.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

The Sabres are even less of a 1st Class Organization than the Mike Brown Bengals.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
The Sabres are even less of a 1st Class Organization than the Mike Brown Bengals.
The Pegulas have built great facilities and spend to win, they've just made the wrong hires.

When they do finally hire the right people, the Sabres will be good for a long time. The question is when will they get it right? We all want experience, and that seems to be the easiest path to success, but it doesn't always work.

Last edited:

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
The Pegulas have built great facilities and spend to win, they've just made the wrong hires.

When they do finally hire the right people, the Sabres will be good for a long time. The question is when will they get it right? We all want experience, and that seems to be the easiest path to success, but it doesn't always work.

How do you plan to be good "for a long time" when your best players continually jump ship?

This team isn't in a dumping Marcell Dareus to change the locker room scenario, it's doing the equivalent of giving away Josh Allen and Stefon Diggs once every two-to-three years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->