(POLL RESET) Who WILL be the Sabres next coach?

Who WILL be the Sabres next coach?

• Total voters

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
That dinosaur has a pretty impressive record as an NHL head coach, even if he does have a limited shelf life

y2oNX29.png
Mike Keenan also had an impressive NHL record but I’m not hiring him for this team either.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Yeah, that's a hard NO from me on Tortorella. His best types of teams seem to be those teams with no real transcendent talent and lots of veteran depth.

Which is kind of the opposite of what we have.

That Tampa Bay Lightning cup winning team was freaking loaded.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
The John and Christine Tortorella Family Foundation | The John and Christine Tortorella Family Foundation (tortorellafoundation.org)

John Tortorella and Mike Keenan are nothing alike. Mike Keenan is not a good person, you can make the case that John Tortorella is

No one here is saying that Torts is a bad guy or a bad coach. Most here are saying (and I agree) that he's not the right fit for this team -- specifically, I don't think he's the right fit for Eichel.

Reactions: JesterCheese

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
No one here is saying that Torts is a bad guy or a bad coach. Most here are saying (and I agree) that he's not the right fit for this team -- specifically, I don't think he's the right fit for Eichel.
This!

I just can't imagine how all these young players, along with Eichel and Skinner, can prosper with Torts, and we will have to play young players, because Adams is unlikely to change half of the roster this offseason. Tortorella is a good coach, but it seems to me that he is simply not suitable for our roster. We need a coach who works well with young players, who gives them some freedom, who will apply the carrot, not the stick, to Dahlin, Mitts, Cozens, Joki and the rest of the young players.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011

If you're comparing someone like Keenan to anyone, you're saying that individual is not a good person

I'm not even making an argument in favor of bringing Tortorella, I'm just pointing out that comparing him to Keenan is off the mark

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Yeah, that's a hard NO from me on Tortorella. His best types of teams seem to be those teams with no real transcendent talent and lots of veteran depth.

Which is kind of the opposite of what we have.
Columbus has been one of the youngest teams in the NHL for the last few years. And the year he won he had some talent to work with (Lecavalier, St.Louis, Richards, Boyle). Our roster is actually more along the lines of what he wants. Teams with a younger average age are more likely to fall in line with his play style for fear of being replaced and out of a job. Not saying I’d like Torts as coach. But this idea that he needs veteran teams isn’t true imo.

That said, Torts isn’t the guy we hire to take this team forward for 5 years. But he could be the guy who gets the most out of this roster for 3 years before the boys tune him out.

dang111

Oct 20, 2017
I think people are too fast to dismiss Torts out of hand. I’d take him over probably anyone else, although I doubt he actually comes here anyway. He’s a good coach with a very very long proven track record. How many times have we complained on here about players showing no heart or not working hard? That wouldn’t happen under Torts. You think he’d accept Jack sulking around? Players not giving a crap? Nah. Also he’s not the same crazy fire and brimstone coach he was 10 years ago.

Torts turned CBJ from a perennial joke into a legitimate team. Give him an actual goalie and a healthy Eichel and this will be a different team. The youngsters will be fine. If he doesn’t mesh well with Skinner oh well, guy is already a barely functioning player whose corpse we have to drag around for the next 6 years.

Every team Torts goes to he has success. He’s what, the winningest American coach ever, or nearly? We haven’t had a real coach since Lindy Ruff. Not trying to put down Granato. I think we’d have a winning record under him with an actual NHL caliber goalie and a healthy Eichel. Maybe he’s the man for the job. But I wouldn’t cast Torts aside that easily.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I think people are too fast to dismiss Torts out of hand. I’d take him over probably anyone else, although I doubt he actually comes here anyway. He’s a good coach with a very very long proven track record. How many times have we complained on here about players showing no heart or not working hard? That wouldn’t happen under Torts. You think he’d accept Jack sulking around? Players not giving a crap? Nah. Also he’s not the same crazy fire and brimstone coach he was 10 years ago.

Torts turned CBJ from a perennial joke into a legitimate team. Give him an actual goalie and a healthy Eichel and this will be a different team. The youngsters will be fine. If he doesn’t mesh well with Skinner oh well, guy is already a barely functioning player whose corpse we have to drag around for the next 6 years.

Every team Torts goes to he has success. He’s what, the winningest American coach ever, or nearly? We haven’t had a real coach since Lindy Ruff. Not trying to put down Granato. I think we’d have a winning record under him with an actual NHL caliber goalie and a healthy Eichel. Maybe he’s the man for the job. But I wouldn’t cast Torts aside that easily.

We absolutely do not have the roster for Torts.

Reactions: JesterCheese

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Not a supporter of Torts as a HC, but as an AC, I think would work.

It would be expensive, but the leadership and lack of BS moments alone would be worth it:

Boudreau - HC
Torts - AC
Granato - AC

That coaching staff would be worth it as it would slide guys in roles they are probably made for.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Not a supporter of Torts as a HC, but as an AC, I think would work.

It would be expensive, but the leadership and lack of BS moments alone would be worth it:

Boudreau - HC
Torts - AC
Granato - AC

That coaching staff would be worth it as it would slide guys in roles they are probably made for.
But there will be :naughty::

Granato - HC
Ellis - AC
Girardi - AC

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Sabres were 3-7 the last 10 games of season. 3rd worst in league.

Please no on Granato. A major guy of the future in Cozens, looked like junk for a good chunk of Granato.

Reactions: Fearnot

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Granato as an assistant doesn't make much sense to me because 1) I don't know if he takes it 2) he was an assistant here, and whatever positives he brings as a coach doesn't seem to leak through as an assistant. Mitts is the only player that looked better under Ralph, and has mentioned don pushing him, but it sounds like most of his change was an offseason mindset thing rather than Don's magic as assistant coach

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I won't mind Torts from the point of view that this group hasn't had a demanding coach yet.

Torts would be dropping a bomb in the middle of the locker room. But, that might be what the teams needs right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad