(POLL RESET) Who WILL be the Sabres next coach?

Who WILL be the Sabres next coach?

• Total voters

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Yeah, that's a hard NO from me on Tortorella. His best types of teams seem to be those teams with no real transcendent talent and lots of veteran depth.

Which is kind of the opposite of what we have.
Vinnie Lecavalier and Martin St. Louis say hello. And they say "check our rings out".

I'd run with Granato for another year FWIW.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
I went back and looked at some of Torts’ past rosters. In the year he won the cup, which is also a vastly different era, his Conn Smythe winning player, 23 years old. The team as a whole was a bit older but so was the entire league.

In the year he took NYR to the Conference Finals. He has two veterans at the top of the list for points (Gaborik, 29, Richards, 31). The rest of the guys after that. 26, 21, 21, 23, 23, 23, 25, 22, 27, 26 before we get to another true veteran in Fedotenko at 32 years old. That roster doesn’t scream veteran laced.

One worry I have is his teams historically have terrible PP’s. If he can stay away from messing that up our roster construction actually lines up well with what he likes. He’ll also have a true superstar since Richards or Lecavalier in TB.

Again, not saying I want him or he should be the target. But the notion that he needs veterans is untrue imo.

Reactions: Joey Banana

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
I'm not as cold on Torts as others. I look at what he did with players like Atkinson, Bjorkstrand, Jones/Werenski on the backend. He demands a two way game and like high character players. I think he could elevate a number of players on this team: Reinhart, Girgs, McCabe, Joker, even Eichel. I worry for a player like Skinner.

If Torts was hired, it would be my happiest Sabres coaching hire in the last decade honestly.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I went back and looked at some of Torts’ past rosters. In the year he won the cup, which is also a vastly different era, his Conn Smythe winning player, 23 years old. The team as a whole was a bit older but so was the entire league.

In the year he took NYR to the Conference Finals. He has two veterans at the top of the list for points (Gaborik, 29, Richards, 31). The rest of the guys after that. 26, 21, 21, 23, 23, 23, 25, 22, 27, 26 before we get to another true veteran in Fedotenko at 32 years old. That roster doesn’t scream veteran laced.

One worry I have is his teams historically have terrible PP’s. If he can stay away from messing that up our roster construction actually lines up well with what he likes. He’ll also have a true superstar since Richards or Lecavalier in TB.

Again, not saying I want him or he should be the target. But the notion that he needs veterans is untrue imo.

Goaltending has been a huge factor in his success. Three of these guys are likely going to the Hall of Fame and one is borderline, Khabibulin, Lundqvist, Luongo and Bobrovsky. Even a vanilla coach like Lindy Ruff can win with a Hall of Fame goalie. The way he handles adversity should be a red flag for the Sabres. He totally lost it with Vancouver, and came close this season. Pierre-Luc Dubois is a high price to pay because the coach won't find ways to relate to his players. Tortorella is very much like Krueger. If you don't follow his concepts and principles to the letter you ride the bench. Dahlin and Cozens would be collecting a lot of splinters. I think Tortorella would be a disaster in Buffalo, particularly with a weak GM trying to control him.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Goaltending has been a huge factor in his success. Three of these guys are likely going to the Hall of Fame and one is borderline, Khabibulin, Lundqvist, Luongo and Bobrovsky. Even a vanilla coach like Lindy Ruff can win with a Hall of Fame goalie. The way he handles adversity should be a red flag for the Sabres. He totally lost it with Vancouver, and came close this season. Pierre-Luc Dubois is a high price to pay because the coach won't find ways to relate to his players. Tortorella is very much like Krueger. If you don't follow his concepts and principles to the letter you ride the bench. Dahlin and Cozens would be collecting a lot of splinters. I think Tortorella would be a disaster in Buffalo, particularly with a weak GM trying to control him.
Agreed goaltending is a big part. Shane O’Brien mentioned on the Missin Curfew podcast that he spoke to PLD after the trade and he himself said it was more an issue with management and contract negotiations than it was Torts himself. He didn’t say Torts wasn’t a problem, but he wasn’t the main problem. Spittin Chiclets had to retract themselves as well when they initially made the comment that it was a PLD Torts conflict that led to the trade. Someone from PLD’s camp contacted SC to tell them to retract their statement a bit.
I agree Torts has his warts. He’s no comparison to how bad Krueger was tho imo.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Something to consider when hiring coaches that have been around the block a few times is the burnout potential. If they're looking at this as they're last contract and the going gets really tough are they going to increase they're effort and look at different ways of doing things? I think Ralph Krueger was definitely burned out and coasting to the end. The pandemic had something to do with that, but he quit trying. Rex Ryan came to Bills full of piss and vinegar and was beaten down within a year. Having an ownership that wants to be pals with everyone plays a role too. Minnesota has the same kind of ownership so Boudreau would fit. Tortorella would tell them to get off his lawn.

Reactions: Jerk Erchel

TunaBoss44

Oct 30, 2015
Buffalo
With Reinhart/Eichel already wanting out, I think I'm more on board with retaining Granato. The main appeal of an experienced coach for me was making one last attempt at a run with this core. Might as well go with the guy who's already shown he can get the kids to buy in and see how far he can take them.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

EmeraldCitySabre

Yeah, we've got uniforms and everything....
Apr 10, 2010
The Claw
I'm not interested in Granato, I know some on here think he's the greatest coach to ever step behind the bench, will lead the Sabres to multiple cups, and no other human could possibly do any of the things he did as interim HC, but I'm not as convinced. I want someone who has proven they know how to win, but what do I know.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I'm not interested in Granato, I know some on here think he's the greatest coach to ever step behind the bench, will lead the Sabres to multiple cups, and no other human could possibly do any of the things he did as interim HC, but I'm not as convinced. I want someone who has proven they know how to win, but what do I know.

No one thinks this. This is such a petulant rant

EmeraldCitySabre

Yeah, we've got uniforms and everything....
Apr 10, 2010
The Claw
You don’t want him as coach. Perfectly legit opinion. No need for some childish rant about posters thinking he’s the best coach ever. You know damn well no one thinks that.

Of course I don't honestly think that, are you serious? Lighten up dude.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
If we go full rebuild I'd like to keep Granato +Girardi on two year deals.
The young ones are developing fine under him. Would like to get someone new in charge of special teams.

After two more years of rebuilding I want to go with the veteran option.

If we keep Sam/Jack I want an established coach now and for us to go all in on the next season - really treat it as the last chance.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
If they do go with Granato, they better shell out mega money for the top assistants they can get.

lmao

If they go Granato, they're either bringing back Ellis and Girardi, or replacing them with someone equally as a cheap

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad