(POLL RESET) Who WILL be the Sabres next coach?

Who WILL be the Sabres next coach?

• Total voters

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
As much as Kreuger was just as clueless about offense, Granato is on par in terms of defense. This team will be last place again next year if Granato is coach. His whole premise about offense being exciting, and if you are going to lose, lose entertaining, sounds fun, but it's not realistic in todays NHL. Is it really that hard to find a coach that can teach a well balanced strategy?
Where do you get that?

listen to his keynote at USA hockey’s symposium, his philosophy is to let the players play loose, but still prioritize defensive responsibility.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Honestly, I think I'd be fine with Granato as long as:

We have a President of Hockey or Special Advisor or whatever come in and work with Adams to do a full coaching search. Talk with multiple people, get lots of opinions, and if Granato ends up being the best fit after all that, fine, hire him.

BUT, if we just name him head coach without doing due diligence (similar to Rolston) because he's the cheapest option, I might be done for a bit until the franchise pulls its collective head out of its ass

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Honestly, I think I'd be fine with Granato as long as:

We have a President of Hockey or Special Advisor or whatever come in and work with Adams to do a full coaching search. Talk with multiple people, get lots of opinions, and if Granato ends up being the best fit after all that, fine, hire him.

BUT, if we just name him head coach without doing due diligence (similar to Rolston) because he's the cheapest option, I might be done for a bit until the franchise pulls its collective head out of its ass
yes but we don't have a president or special ad. & there most likely won't be one.. they might have lucked themselves into DG & with the clueless Pegulas in that role it probably won't be Gallant and certainly not BB (cause he doesn't fit in their scheme of loyalty & subordination).

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Herb Brooks, now is a better coach than Kruger was with this team. He smothered this teams talent to the point of no return. With how bad this team is right now, I fully expect it to be Granato. It's not what I want, but I'm okay with it. He at least has a clue about motivating **COUGH KRUGER DIDN'T**, and has an idea of how to play somewhat sensible hockey. If you actually give him the right players I could see him succeeding, "maybe"?

Sabres77

Jul 22, 2019
Here is my problem, i love Granato with the young kids, however, how is he gonna handle eichel? Eichel needs a kick in the ass to get to where he was, and I truly think that tortorella is that guy to get him there.

Deleted member 331730

please not granato! I can only repeat myself .... we have tried it long and often enough with nhl newcomers .. it did not work. why should it get better with granato now ?! His results with the team are not that great. you mustn't forget that the team could play freely and without pressure ... it was no longer about anything.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
As others have said, I'm fine with giving Granato a shot, as long as the organization looks around, evaluates their option, and finds that he's the best option. What I don't want is a lazy, passive decision.
I like how he seems to strive for a strong possession game, and how the team uses the ice in the offensive zone. I like how the kids are given responsibilities and how they are responding. Seems that the "don't be afraid to make mistakes" was not just talk but actually deployed. Look at Dahlin and Joker for example. They looked like new players by the end of this season compared to under Ralph's reins. Mitts and Giraffe have also made good strides, as well as Asplund. And, of course, Reinhart. If they're interviewing for the job, the first question should be "do you plan on keeping Sam at center?" and if the answer is "no" then, well, don't let the door hit you on your way out.

Now, of course not all of the above can be credited to Granato. Some are just development and experience, other is coincidental, and some can be explained by the fact that we are comparing the end of the season with the absolute worst tire fire we've ever seen. But never the less, Granato took over an absolute mess. The morale and self-confidence must have been at an all-time low, they had already lost their franchise center for the season, as well as some solid blue collars like McCabe and Girgensons. Then the 2nd center was out the door, and the prestige signing made in the offseason got traded, as well as a decent defenseman. We piled up goalies on the injury list to the point where we had to start signing guys just to put a warm body in net. This is what Granato had to work with. And with that in mind, I think he did a good job.

I only watched the two first periods of the last game against the Penguins, but over those 40 minutes, the shattered team described above was the better team on the ice and there were chunks of the game where they outplayed the Pens. From that perspective, I'd have no problem giving Granato the job and see what he can do with an actual team, not just shatters.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
please not granato! I can only repeat myself .... we have tried it long and often enough with nhl newcomers .. it did not work. why should it get better with granato now ?! His results with the team are not that great. you mustn't forget that the team could play freely and without pressure ... it was no longer about anything.
However also Granato had no goalie and no Eichel..That matters a hell of a lot.Iam not on the hire Granato wagon or find someone else wagon.I liked what I saw in the fact he let the young guys play to their abilities. Dahlin and Mitts especially which I think gives us hope for the future.What I didn't like was the defensive structure.So I will see what transpires.I wouldn't be upset if Granato became head coach however if they did their due diligence with Boudreau,Gallant etc.What I don't want is an assistant coach from a college or some BS like that.

Reactions: elchud

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015

Well, there goes that dream...
It was always a long shot though. Carolina would’ve been nuts to let him go.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
$1.8M/season sounds awfully cheap, no? I thought he would be pushing $4M

It is a bargain but he's in such a great spot right now. I'm sure Hamilton will re-sign, and Nedeljkovic is looking like a legit starter. They are in great shape capwise, the defense is stacked, they've got great young forwards. Nieds and Trocheck only have one more year each before UFA so that's a bit of a problem. Gardiner's contract sucks but it's manageable for a couple more years. Anyhow they are a legit cup contender for the forseeable future and he's built a great culture/framework there. I'm sure he's happy with where he's at and that's worth a lot. He has a dozen more years of coaching in him after that deal so he'll be making good money for some time to come.

Reactions: Puppa2Miller

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY

I agree with that point. We’ve seen time and time again the Sabres start to look better toward the end of the season after they dropped any hope at salvaging the season. When the pressure is on in January, they always collapse. And after they’re assuredly out of things in March, they start looking better. Not getting fooled by the same old.

Reactions: MacOfNiagara

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Torts is a dinosaur coach. Yelling and screaming doesn’t work anymore. He would do more damage to the kids then Krueger did. An absolute NO as a hire for the Sabres.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Torts is a dinosaur coach. Yelling and screaming doesn’t work anymore. He would do more damage to the kids then Krueger did. An absolute NO as a hire for the Sabres.

That dinosaur has a pretty impressive record as an NHL head coach, even if he does have a limited shelf life

y2oNX29.png

Reactions: Bferra13

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
That dinosaur has a pretty impressive record as an NHL head coach, even if he does have a limited shelf life
But definitely not for our young roster. I don't want to see him put Cozens, Mitts or Dahlin on the bench because they made a mistake or didn't play defensively at some point. It's also easy to see that he might have problems with Jack and Skinner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad