Elks: Poll: New name for "Edmonton Eskimo Football Club"

What should the new name of the Eskimos be changed too?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
I see it mentioned a couple of times but why not Eagles?
Would there be an infringement with Philly?
Could go with Golden Eagles to borrow from Vegas.
You can't really find a much more majestic or heralded creature than the eagle.
I'd be fine with Eagles. Probably best of the bunch although I preferred the extremely offensive name "Empire" ..F*** me right? LOL

It's real hard to imagine another name for this team then eskimos. I understand why Washington went with FC. How do ya rename the Redskins? How do ya just switch and associate to it ?? I watched tom Wilkey and Warren moon on the practice field goofing around with Brian kelly and waddle smith. These are guys that won 5 cups. They were and always will be eskimos and I'm proud of that name and the honor for all.

I dont get how the minority ( I'm assuming minority) of cry babies that somehow think its derogatory??????

Yeah, this time is totally f*****d up. After 99 years, Eskimo Pie is changing their name and that's an ice cream bar for the love of God. There's nothing that can be done now. Our own names will eventually be offensive and we'll just be a barcode. We're almost there already. Even a name change can't take away Edmonton's legacy though.

Reactions: bellagiobob

ahawowow

Jun 29, 2009
Edmonton
If they go with Elks they might as well name them the Edmonton Prancing Fairies. I actually struggle to think of a less intimidating name for a football team than Elks.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
If they go with Elks they might as well name them the Edmonton Prancing Fairies. I actually struggle to think of a less intimidating name for a football team than Elks.
Alouettes
Argonauts
RedBlacks
Browns
Bills
Seahawks
Dolphins
Ravens
Cardinals
Saints
.....just a few that come to mind right away

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
The plural of Elk is normally Elk, not Elks.

Thanks for pointing this out. I was wondering how long it would take for someone to realize this.

Sad fact-- both the Journal and the Sun have used the term Edmonton "Elks" in discussing a name change when in fact --as you point out-- no such word exists. Oh my, the sad state of today's media-you would think that journalists would at least run a spell check:laugh:

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Alouettes
Argonauts
RedBlacks
Browns
Bills
Seahawks
Dolphins
Ravens
Cardinals
Saints
.....just a few that come to mind right away

"Penguins" nickname is my favorite but of course, wrong sport.

Mind you, I've always thought that hockey players are tougher guys than most football players. Getting tackled doesn't hurt half as much as getting plastered to the boards or getting a stick in the mouth.

Last edited:

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Edmonton Super Men. And when they are playing extremely well, we can call them. Reign of the Superman. I’m a riders fan, but come on. That’s neat!!!!
upload_2020-8-12_21-49-19.jpeg

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Well, if Dan Snyder thought he was going to appease the mob by changing the Redskins name he was sorely mistaken.

Apparently the minority owners and several other groups have put tremendous pressure on him to sell his majority interest in the team. They want him out --ASAP.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Well, if Dan Snyder thought he was going to appease the mob by changing the Redskins name he was sorely mistaken.

Apparently the minority owners and several other groups have put tremendous pressure on him to sell his majority interest in the team. They want him out --ASAP.
As it has turned out, the name is just one of many issues with that organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad