Elks: Poll: New name for "Edmonton Eskimo Football Club"

What should the new name of the Eskimos be changed too?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Edmonton Edmonchucks
Edmonton Eriver valley’s
Edmonton Leonard Euler‘s
Edmonton Eoil sands

This is dumb. The only name regionally that works is Energy. If we name them Emeralds we would invoke rage from seattle residents because they call themselves the emerald city and by proxy they will create another chaz once they realize our hockey team name is the Oilers.

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
Someone suggested turning the logo backwards and calling them the Edmonton 39ers. I thought it was a decent idea at least.

So I checked what symbolism the number 39 has:

The number 39 is composed of the energies of the numbers 3 and 9. ... It also signifies imagination, communication, joy, optimism and energy. The main symbolism of the number 39 in numerology is optimism, humanitarianism, idealism, creativity, family, tolerance, self – expression, helping others, etc.

Not a bad option IMO.

ZomboMeme 31072020101350.jpg

Last edited:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I'm sure they will have a name the team contest, like a lot of new teams do, so that the fans feel like they have a say. Then they will just pick whatever name they want.
Only way I see them having a name the team contest is if they settled on a couple names themselves and let the fans vote off a very short list. Considering today’s climate all these names have to be seriously vetted, that takes the fans out of the picture. Can’t imagine I’d be too interested in what’s left to care enough either way. I doubt I’m the only one.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
I voted for Elks but would prefer Trappers. The club owns the name and trademark from when the owned the baseball team.

Change the colors to green and gold and put the Trapper down in a three point stance as Gazzola has suggested.

Change the helmet logo from EE to ET.

I just wonder how long it would take for animal rights to protest??
images.jpeg

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I voted for Elks but would prefer Trappers. The club owns the name and trademark from when the owned the baseball team.

Change the colors to green and gold and put the Trapper down in a three point stance as Gazzola has suggested.

I just wonder how long it would take for animal rights to protest?? View attachment 357077

Don't forget about the Aliens who are visiting Earth and justifiably see themselves as the rightful "ET's" Have they been consulted?

Last edited:
Reactions: CageRage

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Eskies. That's would I would call them. If I was forced to change the name. We have our own heritage with the club. It's a insult to have to change it in the first place.

It's not derogatory anyhow. It's kinda a joke.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Eskies. That's would I would call them. If I was forced to change the name. We have our own heritage with the club. It's a insult to have to change it in the first place.

It's not derogatory anyhow. It's kinda a joke.
I have a feeling it'll be Elks. I see it being popular here and on twitter, where it was second behind Empire. That twitter poll had over 1000 responses. I don't like that name but I can see that being the choice since Empire has been excluded by the management already and the team was named that for a season in their pre-CFL days. I'd rather have Eskies than Elks. That's for sure. Heck, I'd pick Eels over Elks.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
With league’s and fans embracing new wave controversial names lately, like the Kracken, I say let’s call the Esks the Essa’s after Tiikanen. Is the a more consume professional that represents blue collar sport more than Essa?

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

I just wonder how long it would take for animal rights to protest?? View attachment 357077

Or Trappers rights:) I actually don't mind that name at all. Trying to EE again is too limiting. That or the Roughriders because the league really needs two clubs with that same name again.

Reactions: Heavy Dee

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Five minutes? Great name, but would go over like a lead balloon in today's PC world.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
I have a feeling it'll be Elks. I see it being popular here and on twitter, where it was second behind Empire. That twitter poll had over 1000 responses. I don't like that name but I can see that being the choice since Empire has been excluded by the management already and the team was named that for a season in their pre-CFL days. I'd rather have Eskies than Elks. That's for sure. Heck, I'd pick Eels over Elks.
It's real hard to imagine another name for this team then eskimos. I understand why Washington went with FC. How do ya rename the Redskins? How do ya just switch and associate to it ?? I watched tom Wilkey and Warren moon on the practice field goofing around with Brian kelly and waddle smith. These are guys that won 5 cups. They were and always will be eskimos and I'm proud of that name and the honor for all.

I dont get how the minority ( I'm assuming minority) of cry babies that somehow think its derogatory??????

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
I see it mentioned a couple of times but why not Eagles?
Would there be an infringement with Philly?
Could go with Golden Eagles to borrow from Vegas.
You can't really find a much more majestic or heralded creature than the eagle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad