Elks: Poll: New name for "Edmonton Eskimo Football Club"

What should the new name of the Eskimos be changed too?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
As it has turned out, the name is just one of many issues with that organization.

True but one of the minority owners from FEDEX wants Snyder out and the main reason is Snyder's resistance to the name change. It didn't sit well with him.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
True but one of the minority owners from FEDEX wants Snyder out and the main reason is Snyder's resistance to the name change. It didn't sit well with him.
Jeezus, he may not like it, and it may have taken some time, but he's DOING it now. Maybe he should try to hook on with some other owner who's team doesn't offend him so much.

Reactions: CanmoreMike

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Jeezus, he may not like it, and it may have taken some time, but he's DOING it now. Maybe he should try to hook on with some other owner who's team doesn't offend him so much.

The "cancel" mob comes by its name honestly.

You might be willing to change and make concessions but once you are identified as "the enemy" then you have to go-period. You are "cancelled" and that's it- reform and forgiveness are not allowed--Sinners beware.

I did hear though that the minority Redskins owners have looked into getting out since Snyder has said he won't leave. Maybe they can hook up with Robert Kraft or Jerry Jones and live a life of righteousness.

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
Edmonton Evils.

tCSPo6e.png

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Riders fan here (ducks).

The Eskimos have an amazing history. As an outsider, I hope they don't go with something so generic as Express which is just so boring. I get wanting to keep the iconic double EE but flipside is a fresh page to do something interesting. Don't Express line checkout!

Gordievsky

Jan 18, 2019
I'm not a fan of non plural names, like Magic, Heat, Kraken (gag) and Express.

Elks is a bit odd but gimme a break - objectively speaking, Eskimos was odd too.

I like Elks and Empires. The Empires sort of harkens back to the notion of a dynasty or a consistently good team. While we don't have any Oiler dynasty to speak of, the EE have way more than their share of Grey Cup wins. It fits.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Okay if we need to sacrifice the EE logo for decent name. It should be considered as long as it's a really good name that can convert older fans and bring in new ones.

Alberta has some pretty historic dinosaur discoveries. I don't think the dinosaurs would mind us using their names, right?

Edmonton Albertosaurus

Albertosaurus: A type of tyrannosaur discovered in Alberta in 1910.

Last edited:
Reactions: Llamamoto

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
After much deliberation ..has to be Empire...the rest sound like shit. Edmonton Electric ? Edmonton Elks ? The f***...

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Empire is already NOT on the list. The team already said it would not be considered.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Where did Edmonton get its name?

Some interesting history, though some of you might find it interesting. We can go back how the natives called it or even the original mean of Edmonton " Eadhelm"

Edmonton Eadhelms

That has a nice ring to it.

Eadhelms name meaning: The name Eadhelm finds its origins with the ancient Anglo-Saxons of England. It was given to one who worked as a soldier. The surname Eadhelm literally means noble protector. The name was derived from the Old English adel helm which literally means "eagle shield"

Edmonton Eagle Shields?

Actually, this is my official vote. I want it to be Eadhelm or Eadhelms.

Last edited:

Howie Feltersnatch

Aug 16, 2020
As a Calgary Stampeder fan who has watched a few games in Edmonton and enjoyed the fans and experience, the changing of the Eskimo name is really unfortunate. Sign of the times but very disappointing to see. Will always be the eskimos to me.

FiftyFifty

Mar 13, 2018
As a Calgary Stampeder fan who has watched a few games in Edmonton and enjoyed the fans and experience, the changing of the Eskimo name is really unfortunate. Sign of the times but very disappointing to see. Will always be the eskimos to me.
So... why are we changing it again?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Edmonton Extinction. Kind of evoking the league.

Kind of thinking theres just going to be some reworking of junior football leagues around the country and kind of more of an "Allan Cup' type national tie in.

Canadian pro football, the whole concept of it, is pandemic dead. Ditch the Eskimos, other clubs, and replace it with a barnstormer circuit with very low overhead, very low salaries, mostly domestic or talent from non traditional sporting nations. Basically anybody reasonably good willing to come here and play.

I'd hardly notice the difference. Its not like I could watch the recent CFL and think that all these players on the pitch are good. Really I haven't had those thoughts in years.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
No CFL this year. Not surprising though
It'll be interesting if the league will find a way to happen next year and if they will find a way to actually be relevant with the younger crowd.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I think the name change has now taken a back seat when compared to the question of "what, if any league?"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad