Elks: Poll: New name for "Edmonton Eskimo Football Club"

What should the new name of the Eskimos be changed too?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
I was looking up Alberta's province motto after watching comedian on youtube talk US. States mottos.

It's (Fortis et Liber) "Strong and Free" if you didn't know.

Alberta - Canada.ca

But I found out that Alberta's national animal is the Big Horn Sheep.

And I thought, what a good name that would be for the football team.

The Edmonton Big Horns

You would make a really cool horn logos and icons and the team represents our provincial animal.
They could also use Alberta provincial colours which is: Blue and Gold.

GO BIG HORNS!!

Last edited:

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
I was looking up Alberta's province motto after watching comedian on youtube talk US. States mottos.

Alberta - Canada.ca

The Edmonton Big Horns

You would make a really cool horn logos and icons and the team represents our provincial animal.

GO BIG HORNS!!
Lol...big horn makes me think of Letterkenney episodes. If you aren't familiar, guess what part of the male anatomy a "big horn" is in reference to.

Second. DO NOT change the colours. Not reason to AT ALL !!

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004

Alberta - Canada.ca

The Edmonton Big Horns

GO BIG HORNS!!
Dumb. Blue and Gold is Winnipeg and obvious comparisons to male anatomy.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Alberta - Canada.ca

The Edmonton Big Horns

GO BIG HORNS!!
I'll bet it will make you horny, baby!

Reactions: yukoner88

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I've heard it all. Old article but f*** me. This is what was holding back the Inuit from fixing other issues? Why did I have to come across this:help:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/edmonton-football-team-name-change-natan-obed-1.5654989

Natan Obed doesn't feel that he, himself, made the Edmonton football team change its name.
But the national Inuit leader — whose 2015 op-ed in The Globe and Mail brought the discussion into the national spotlight ahead of the team's Grey Cup victory — says if the reports are to be believed, Inuit can now move on to tackling other issues without this "distraction."

FiftyFifty

Mar 13, 2018
Rumor has it that they’ve decided on a new name. I was told going forward the new name will be the Edmonton S. Gizmos.

Press release will be issued shortly. I like it. Has a nice ring to it and seems to fit. They can even keep their fight song. I get the Gizmo reference but what does the ‘S’ stand for?

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
Rumor has it that they’ve decided on a new name. I was told going forward the new name will be the Edmonton S. Gizmos.

Press release will be issued shortly. I like it. Has a nice ring to it and seems to fit. They can even keep their fight song. I get the Gizmo reference but what does the ‘S’ stand for?
the CFL and Edmonton will never get a penny from me again .what a bloody embarrassing name .Edmonton snowflakes is still the best name suiting a loser league like the pfl

Reactions: CanmoreMike

Not Canada Drai

♧ Lem
Jul 7, 2019
Edmonton
the CFL and Edmonton will never get a penny from me again .what a bloody embarrassing name .Edmonton snowflakes is still the best name suiting a loser league like the pfl

I find the term snowflake to be hilarious because it implies you're offended as well. Kind of circular.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Stupid?

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
You really think that's gonna be the name because some poster on HFboards says so? :shakehead

orangeshinpads

Jan 27, 2007
Vancouver
I'd like to humbly put forth Explorers for consideration.
That would run into the same PC opposition that Eskimos and Empire did. Explorers in a North American context were Europeans who were the harbingers of expansion onto Indian land and marginalizing Indian culture. I'm not all in on maligning everything about that, but it doesn't stand much of a chance in the current state of affairs.

Reactions: slaman

orangeshinpads

Jan 27, 2007
Vancouver
The Edmonton:

Eccentrics

Eagles

Ecstatics

Executioners

Effervescence

Enchanters

Essence

Elixers

Extreme Weather Warnings (joke)

Emperors (not PC)

Emblems

Last edited:

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG

Just curious - what age bracket best describes you? I ask because I think many older people, including me, are pissed it has come to this (I’m 40+). Considering the CFL has an older fan base I think it could very well be the death knell for the league.

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
Just curious - what age bracket best describes you? I ask because I think many older people, including me, are pissed it has come to this (I’m 40+). Considering the CFL has an older fan base I think it could very well be the death knell for the league.

You're pissed because your favorite team uses a racial slur as a name?

I think you need more of a life, if this is what pisses you off.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
You're pissed because your favorite team uses a racial slur as a name?

I think you need more of a life if this is what pisses you off.
You know what's wrong with society today is there are too many people who use the race card as a get out of jail card in life .......BEING a
JEW/BLACK I take offense to your comment as the name is far from offensive and you pointing this out makes it racist. I can not understand people in this country, for being A PERSON OF COLOR I have it pretty damn good, a roof over my head, food on the table, friends of all colors, seems pretty good to me

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad