POLL: Avengers: Endgame vs Game Of Thrones

Which one are you looking forward to the most?

• Avengers: Endgame

• The Final Season Of Game Of Thrones

Results are only viewable after voting.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I feel like we could have a great debate on what even the most anticipated movie really is. That's a tough one to gauge. It is different from most successful, most loved, or even most longed for to see made. That's knowing a movie is coming and judging the hype for it. Something that's entirely within that time period.

Anyways about the actual topic at hand. For me it is Endgame. I didn't get that into Game of Thrones and it has become such a massive thing that I haven't quite gotten fired up to dive into it. While I was there to see that first Iron Man movie out of curiosity since...who expected that to be great? Then the movies just kept coming. Some were amazing, some were poor, but it built up to this sort of moment. It is probably the most excited I've been to see one individual movie and the highest hopes I've ended up seeing build up towards it.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I would think a movie that has been waited for for decades. Something like Lord of the Rings, or back in the day Dune. Both were considered impossible to film.

This may reflect personal feelings to an extent, but the most anticipated movies that come to my mind would be Return of the Jedi, Jurassic Park, and the first Lord of the Rings. I think those are the only three movies that I felt I had to see as soon as they came out.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
This may reflect personal feelings to an extent, but the most anticipated movies that come to my mind would be Return of the Jedi, Jurassic Park, and the first Lord of the Rings. I think those are the only three movies that I felt I had to see as soon as they came out.

Phantom Menace is up there too

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I wasn't alive in 1939 so I don't know how hyped up GWTW was, but from 1989 onward...Avatar was pretty hyped, Spiderman 3 had huge hype IIRC, and so did the Dark Knight. The Phantom Menace or Jurassic Park are probably the most hyped in my lifetime though

This is true. I wasnt around either.....or maybe i found the fountain of youth lol. I was just going off research. Apperently at the premiere in atlanta approx 300,000 people lined the streets as the actors went to the premiere and stood outside the theatre. Thats pretty hype for no social media lol.
Some intersting pics from the premiere. For those that like a bit of history.
'Gone With the Wind' 1939 Atlanta premiere

Jurassic park was a huge one. I remember being pretty hyped to see it and my dad took me to winnipeg just to see it asap which was a 5 hour drive ha.

hPrhZbJf6p8VT6kp6

lostinwarsaw

A Slovak living in Belgium
Feb 26, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
GOT for me even though I still look forward to avengers. Only thing that irks me about the MCU is they got a f***ing westerner to play a role of a Russian. Scarlett johansson, you don’t look Slavic erghh

Apr 28, 2010
I can't choose one. I'm excited for both.

Got my tickets for Avengers the day they went on sale.

Just ordered HBO for GOT today.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
With how weak GoT has been these last couple of seasons, I am really surprised it is beating Endgame.
Agreed, but its earlier peaks were far stronger than anything in the MCU, so there's at least more potential and talent to work with, IMO. With Endgame, you pretty much know what the maximum level of reward it can hit is, as the universe has been pretty consistently re-using a similar formula and re-hitting a similar level of appeal over and over again with little fluctuation.

It could go either way with Game of Thrones. It could continue to be bad, but there's a chance it can also return to form for one final season (I'm leaning towards the former, though).

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Agreed, but its earlier peaks were far stronger than anything in the MCU, so there's at least more potential and talent to work with, IMO. With Endgame, you pretty much know what the maximum level of reward it can hit is, as the universe has been pretty consistently re-using a similar formula and re-hitting a similar level of appeal over and over again with little fluctuation.

It could go either way with Game of Thrones. It could continue to be bad, but there's a chance it can also return to form for one final season (I'm leaning towards the former, though).

Peak GoT was in 2013, a long time ago. There have been some highs since then (some great battles!) but mostly slow, meandering nonsense.

The MCU has been very consistent and no outright duds since about 2012. Not to mention Infinity War was a tour-de-force in terms of ambition and execution.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Peak GoT was in 2013, a long time ago. There have been some highs since then (some great battles!) but mostly slow, meandering nonsense.

The MCU has been very consistent and no outright duds since about 2012. Not to mention Infinity War was a tour-de-force in terms of ambition and execution.

The same can be said for Game of Thrones when you look at it in its entirety

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The same can be said for Game of Thrones when you look at it in its entirety

Considering how bad the last couple of seasons of GoT have been, no.

The MCU's missteps came very early and they course corrected almost right away. Now I don't want to give the impression that I am Jussi-like, the MCU remains cookie-cutter stuff: not great cinema, but very effective. None of the MCU movies are very good re-watchs.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
GOT because anyone can win because of glorious shades of grey. Avengers you know who is going to win because Disney...

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Considering how bad the last couple of seasons of GoT have been, no.

The MCU's missteps came very early and they course corrected almost right away. Now I don't want to give the impression that I am Jussi-like, the MCU remains cookie-cutter stuff: not great cinema, but very effective. None of the MCU movies are very good re-watchs.

That's certainly subjective

As much as I enjoyed Infinity War, I thought there were parts of that film that were less than perfect

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC

I don't think that's inconsistent with what I said, besides the tour de force part, which I don't agree with. Obviously it's subjective (and I don't think there's much of a point in everyone pointing that out) but personally, I think that Game of Thrones was genuinely pretty solid for about four seasons and then became bad (Season 5, 7, and about half of season 6 was genuinely poor, IMO), whereas the MCU has just been moderately above mediocre/average at an impressively consistent, reliable, and crowd-pleasing rate but never much more beyond that.

There's an obvious trade-off when choosing between the two, and neither excite me all that much, but if forced to, I'd pretty easily take my chances with the former rather than the latter, personally (despite your concerns about it being valid). A long time ago is better than never, for me.

Last edited:

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
It's being reported that Endgame just broke the record for biggest opening weekend

So, yeah, I'd say it was the most anticipated film in history

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I have issues with how quickly they're trying to wrap up GoT - the pacing is off from the earlier seasons which eliminates a lot of the drama and gravitas.

So I'm not sure it'll be done properly.

Avengers - Endgame has been designed for purpose for quite some time so I have higher expectations and am looking forward to it more.

Yup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad