POLL: Avengers: Endgame vs Game Of Thrones

Which one are you looking forward to the most?

• Avengers: Endgame

• The Final Season Of Game Of Thrones

Results are only viewable after voting.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
The show's issues with time and space before season 7 were really only a factor with Littlefinger's character. Other than that they did a good job with demonstrating the passage of time. Mainly because they had 10 episodes to actually flesh things out.
Littlefinger is easily the worst offender for it, Catelyn Stark in season 1 is a close second. She goes from Winterfell to King's Landing to the Riverlands to the Eyrie to the Neck to the Riverlands again all in 4 or 5 episodes.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Littlefinger is easily the worst offender for it, Catelyn Stark in season 1 is a close second. She goes from Winterfell to King's Landing to the Riverlands to the Eyrie to the Neck to the Riverlands again all in 4 or 5 episodes.
Season 1 has a pretty long passage of time compared to other seasons, though. I mean the first episode probably has the longest time-jump of the entire series.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Season 1 has a pretty long passage of time compared to other seasons, though. I mean the first episode probably has the longest time-jump of the entire series.
That's really the big difference though, time jumps were less obvious in earlier seasons mostly because they were spread out. Season 7 has them within episodes.

Reactions: ArGarBarGar

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
The time time-jump complaint is probably the weirdest complaint GOT fans have. Especially after having to suffer through boring Bran scenes for three seasons of him travelling.

Reactions: NyQuil

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
^ If anything, that kind of contributes to the problem. Even if this technically isn't the case, as you're watching the show, it often "feels" like one character is taking ages/several episodes to trek across a single stretch of distance while others zip back and forth across the globe several times or something. The illusion isn't really presented very well, and as a viewer, the illusion is what matters. The issue isn't really that time jumps happen too quickly or too slowly, but that they happen quickly/slowly while other scenes surrounding them simultaneously feel like they're moving at a normal pace. I agree that it was less of a problem in the first four seasons, though (I have no such problem with season 1, personally), and granted, with so many characters needing to get through so many story points (and especially the creative decision to constantly alternate back and forth between), it's a difficult thing to do convincingly. But it is still apparent.

That said, I wouldn't say that's one of the more glaring flaws of the show. On top of how the show just makes plenty of poor/awkward/sloppy storytelling decisions in general, what probably strikes me most is how bizarrely inconsistent it is with how sometimes it has a "take bad decisions to their natural conclusion and explore the aftermath, plot armor doesn't exist" approach (which, IMO, was its most refreshing appeal in the first place), and other times (especially in later seasons), the plot armor is so heavy and transparent that even if you expect it, it's tough to buy into.

Last edited:

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
The best part of GOT was Arya and The Hound spending a season terekking around the country.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Slight lean towards GOT because this is the end but the MCU will continue.

Also no way is GOT the most hyped final season

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Then what is?

Sopranos for sure and that just HBO.

Then you have a whole bunch of shows that came before the internet exploded and TV was the dominant medium... Shows like Seinfeld and Friends the hype was off the charts

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Sopranos for sure and that just HBO.

Then you have a whole bunch of shows that came before the internet exploded and TV was the dominant medium... Shows like Seinfeld and Friends the hype was off the charts

I don't think you appreciate the worldwide popularity of Game of Thrones

From Wikipedia:
Viewer numbers

The first season averaged 2.5 million viewers for its first Sunday-night screenings and a gross audience (including repeats and on-demand viewings) of 9.3 million viewers per episode. For its second season, the series had an average gross audience of 11.6 million viewers. The third season was seen by 14.2 million viewers, making Game of Thrones the second-most-viewed HBO series (after The Sopranos). For the fourth season, HBO said that its average gross audience of 18.4 million viewers (later adjusted to 18.6 million) had passed The Sopranos for the record. By the sixth season the average per-episode gross viewing figure had increased to over 25 million, with nearly 40 percent of viewers watching on HBO digital platforms. In 2016, a New York Times study of the 50 TV shows with the most Facebook Likes found that Game of Thrones was "much more popular in cities than in the countryside, probably the only show involving zombies that is". By season seven, average viewer numbers had increased to over 30 million per episode across all platforms.
The series set records on pay-television channels in the United Kingdom (with a 2016 average audience of more than five million on all platforms) and Australia (with a cumulative average audience of 1.2 million)

Last edited:
Reactions: tacogeoff

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
To be fair, media is much more global than it used to be, thanks to the instant international word of mouth allowed by social media.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
I don't think you appreciate the worldwide popularity of Game of Thrones

From Wikipedia:
Viewer numbers

The first season averaged 2.5 million viewers for its first Sunday-night screenings and a gross audience (including repeats and on-demand viewings) of 9.3 million viewers per episode. For its second season, the series had an average gross audience of 11.6 million viewers. The third season was seen by 14.2 million viewers, making Game of Thrones the second-most-viewed HBO series (after The Sopranos). For the fourth season, HBO said that its average gross audience of 18.4 million viewers (later adjusted to 18.6 million) had passed The Sopranos for the record. By the sixth season the average per-episode gross viewing figure had increased to over 25 million, with nearly 40 percent of viewers watching on HBO digital platforms. In 2016, a New York Times study of the 50 TV shows with the most Facebook Likes found that Game of Thrones was "much more popular in cities than in the countryside, probably the only show involving zombies that is". By season seven, average viewer numbers had increased to over 30 million per episode across all platforms.
The series set records on pay-television channels in the United Kingdom (with a 2016 average audience of more than five million on all platforms) and Australia (with a cumulative average audience of 1.2 million)

It still has a ways to go to top Mash though.

But those numbers are minuscule compared to the audience that tuned in to “M.A.S.H.,” a sitcom about a U.S. medical team serving in the Korean War. More than 106 million people watched its finale, “Goodbye, Farewell and Amen,” which aired on CBS 35 years ago Wednesday. The episode was so highly anticipated that 30-second advertising slots sold for $450,000, more than some slots for the 1983 Super Bowl.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.was...rs-ago-no-scripted-show-has-come-close-since/

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Another thing that needs to be taken into account when discussing ratings is the number of people who watch these programs through pirated streams online

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
as well as "Who Shot JR"

That episode of Dallas was watched by 83 million in the US and 350 million worldwide. It was an international sensation.

Even with such high numbers for the finale, I'd argue the final season of Game of Thrones is more anticipated than the final season of MASH

MASH's final season scored a 22.6 Nielsen rating, which was actually the 2nd lowest in the show's run

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Even with such high numbers for the finale, I'd argue the final season of Game of Thrones is more anticipated than the final season of MASH

MASH's final season scored a 22.6 Nielsen rating, which was actually the 2nd lowest in the show's run

MASH wasn't all that good by that point.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
With the latest (and last?) trailer for Endgame having been released today, it seems like an appropriate time to bump this

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I suppose it's equal for me. As popular media goes, Game of Thrones and the MCU have defined a great chunk of my entertainment consuming life.

Both are going to be as meaningful to me as conclusions.

I suppose the slight edge goes to GoT as I have more memories with friends going through those seasons and talking theories. That and I had periods of superhero fatigue twice.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
The thread doesn't say I can't talk about the books too so here's my 20,000 word essay on the changes and why the books are so much...nah just kidding. Though I do wish I could bring this up for the frequent Littlefinger discussion in the show thread.

Really though, I was more interested in season 1 of GoT than I was Iron Man or Avengers, and I was heavily invested in the first few seasons because I really wanted to see it succeed. And damn did it ever succeed, but with that and the changes the TV show has had over the last few years to condense the story to make the hype has kind of mellowed out and I think I'm a bit more excited for End Game.

Overall for me it would go: Winds of Winter > End Game > Season 8

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Really though, I was more interested in season 1 of GoT than I was Iron Man or Avengers, and I was heavily invested in the first few seasons because I really wanted to see it succeed. And damn did it ever succeed, but with that and the changes the TV show has had over the last few years to condense the story to make the hype has kind of mellowed out and I think I'm a bit more excited for End Game.

This is my perspective as well. In 2016 I would have given up the whole MCU if thats what it took to get the GoT finale, but the last two seasons of the show really tempered my enthusiasm. Whereas the MCU has done the exact opposite. In 2015 I really didn't care much about it at all but in ever since Civil War my enjoyment and subsequent hype for these movies has absolutely skyrocketed.

Actually though, a lot of that probably has to do with what a mark I am for Spider-Man. Once Spider-Man was in the mix I was fully invested. I wasn't following these movies at all prior to then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad