Pokemon Thread #24 - UltraPokemon UltraThread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
After months of not playing, I'm back playing Sun wonderlocke. Currently at E4 but lost a Raticate just now.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
After months of not playing, I'm back playing Sun wonderlocke. Currently at E4 but lost a Raticate just now.

I should start playing again, but my time is more limited nowadays.

And regarding LGE/LGP, god dammit. It looks so good, but I wasn't planning on getting a Switch until the main series game came out (if I were to continue with Pokemon, which I'm still not sure if I am).

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Well, this isn't ideal. Had 4 pokemon left against the last trainer for champion but lost.

2fd51f85656d678e524e07fba2084c4a.png

I got 10 pokemon left and they're like all water types. I need to grind again.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Anyone a Shiny Hunter?

I've been doing a lot of that this summer. Yesterday, after 512 encounters, I got a Shiny Dratini.....but killed it. Luckily, 55 encounters in, I reclaimed it. REDEMPTION.

Also, I had a first encounter Shiny Heracross this week. I freaked the f*** out about that one.

Currently doing Buneary, at 492 encounters. I do have the shiny charm.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Anyone a Shiny Hunter?

I've been doing a lot of that this summer. Yesterday, after 512 encounters, I got a Shiny Dratini.....but killed it. Luckily, 55 encounters in, I reclaimed it. REDEMPTION.

Also, I had a first encounter Shiny Heracross this week. I freaked the **** out about that one.

Currently doing Buneary, at 492 encounters. I do have the shiny charm.

Do you do the Adrenaline Orb thing?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
If I want shinies I tend to try to breed for them because I want them to be potentially powerful/useful. Though I haven't sat down to do a breeding project for a shiny since my shiny Scyther/Scizor.

I want to get back to breeding stuff, but before then I need to finish my backlog of giveaway legendaries.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
If I want shinies I tend to try to breed for them because I want them to be potentially powerful/useful. Though I haven't sat down to do a breeding project for a shiny since my shiny Scyther/Scizor.

I want to get back to breeding stuff, but before then I need to finish my backlog of giveaway legendaries.

Same here.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Is there any more info on the Lets Go games? If its just basically a remaster of Yellow (with GO catching mechanics) I think I'm going to skip it. I don't think I can justify paying $90CDN on a game like that. I'll hold out for the main game coming out late 2019.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Anyone here looking at getting Pokemon: Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee?

They look outstanding.

I don't think it's worth getting a Switch for that (since I don't have one). If Pokemon Go has nothing to do with that game (which I severely doubt), then I might get it. But I'd probably be at a huge disadvantage since I only played Go for the first few days or so.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Anyone here looking at getting Pokemon: Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee?

They look outstanding.

I'm not bothering. I played Go for like a couple weeks and I don't find the catch mechanics different enough to be interesting nor do I like the mobile-gamey feel of how it handles basically every other aspect of raising and battling pokemon.

When the Switch gets a main-series game with all the classic handheld Game Boy/DS trappings, I'm totally there. But I'm not buying another remake of the Kanto games just to play a stripped down imitation built off of a free-to-play mobile game craze.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I'm not bothering. I played Go for like a couple weeks and I don't find the catch mechanics different enough to be interesting nor do I like the mobile-gamey feel of how it handles basically every other aspect of raising and battling pokemon.

When the Switch gets a main-series game with all the classic handheld Game Boy/DS trappings, I'm totally there. But I'm not buying another remake of the Kanto games just to play a stripped down imitation built off of a free-to-play mobile game craze.

I honestly am in the same boat regarding Go. I played for a few weeks and that was it. Considering I don't have any other Nintendo hardware outside of the switch, the last pokemon games I played were silver and gold (aside from playing soul silver and heart gold on the emulator). Actually, I think I played Emerald or w/e it was at one point. Maybe it is the nostalgia hit but it looks interesting to me.

I have been thinking about getting a 3DS to get Ultra Sun/Moon. Considering the above, how far behind am I in the franchise and is it even worth me picking up at this point?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I honestly am in the same boat regarding Go. I played for a few weeks and that was it. Considering I don't have any other Nintendo hardware outside of the switch, the last pokemon games I played were silver and gold (aside from playing soul silver and heart gold on the emulator). Actually, I think I played Emerald or w/e it was at one point. Maybe it is the nostalgia hit but it looks interesting to me.

I have been thinking about getting a 3DS to get Ultra Sun/Moon. Considering the above, how far behind am I in the franchise and is it even worth me picking up at this point?

The franchise rarely ever requires you to have expansive knowledge of the previous generations. Aside from the introduction of new pokemon every generation, there's very little that's changed the games so drastically that you'd be lost if you jump in now. The biggest changes would be the Physical/Special split from Generation IV (moves are no longer classed as physical attacks or special attacks based on type. It's now unique to each move) and the addition of a few new battle types (double/triple/rotation battles), as well as the creation of the Fairy pokemon type. The first one is pretty intuitive to grasp once you see how it works, the battles are either explained to you when you first encounter them or are simple to understand the altered mechanics of, and the Fairy typing may cause a little confusion figuring out type advantages and some of the reclassified pokemon but isn't really a big deal.

Various newer games tend to have quirky fancy new mechanics like Mega Evolution or Z-Moves or whatever, but those tend to only be prominent in the games they were introduced in and then not really harped on afterwards and will usually be explained within the game if they have some level of importance.

Your best bet might be to start with OmegaRuby or AlphaSapphire. They're 3DS remakes of (shockingly) Ruby and Sapphire from the GBA era. They'll be a nice balance of leading you into the newer game setup with stuff that will be similar to where you left off but also feature some of the newer mechanics and ideas. From there you could either move onto X/Y (which I believe were designed to be good entry points for newer fans) or right to Sun/Moon or UltraSun/UltraMoon.

It is worth noting that Sun/Moon and their Ultra counterparts are known to be a little more story-focused and "cinematic" than the previous games. Lots of time is spent watching the story underpinning hte adventure unfold and the game does sometimes feel like it's railroading you into continuing that adventure rather than simply letting you wander about the land trying to be a Pokemon master. So you might find that aspect of the game off-putting if you're used to the way the earlier games guide you on a path but rarely ever feel like they're shoving you to constantly keep moving.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY

Worth noting that every main series game outside of Generation III (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/FireRed/LeafGreen) is playable on the 3DS in some fashion:

Generation I (Red/Blue/Yellow): Virtual Console
Generation II (Gold/Silver/Crystal): Virtual Console
Generation IV (Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/HeartGold/SoulSilver): DS backwards compatibility
Generation V (Black/White/Black 2/White 2): DS backwards compatibility
Generation VI (X/Y/OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire): Native 3DS games
Generation VII (Sun/Moon/UltraSun/UltraMoon): Native 3DS games

And Pokemon caught in any game can be transferred forward to the current games through various methods, such as Pokemon Bank.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I'm continuing my search for the elusive Lucky Egg. I did catch a shiny Noctowl while looking. Too bad that shinies suck in Gen 2.

I don't think I've ever bumped into a shiny for Gen 2 (red Gyarados doesn't count), and I played Gen 2 when it came out.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
September's distribution, Latios and Latias, are available starting tomorrow from code cards distributed at Best Buy.

Lame. Just send me back to EB or give the codes out online for chrissakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad