Points for Matthews

How many points for Matthews

• Total voters

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Yeah players usually get worse in their 3rd compared to their 2nd year, especially when they get better linemates, more ice time, more pp ice time and a better powerplay to play on.

Obviously Matthews can't score 45 or hit 90 points, that would be INSANE!!!!!

You are biased, just admit your bias and stop trying to pass off your anti Leafs opinion as anything but biased nonsense, what you're writing is not based on anything apart from Leafs hate.

just a thought but when you're straight up calling other people biased for thinking a player on your team will get slightly less than their pace over a non full season last year it's probably a good time to look into a mirror

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
just a thought but when you're straight up calling other people biased for thinking a player on your team will get slightly less than their pace over a non full season last year it's probably a good time to look into a mirror

I made my argument based on facts and data, you made yours on feelings and Stamkos.

Bottom line, this is what you believe

Yeah Matthews with BETTER TEAMMATES, MORE PP ICE TIME, MORE ICE TIME AND A WAY BETTER PP is going to score LESS than his last year's pace.

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
Truly amazing that I wrote out a long post explaining Matthews to you and all you want to do is spout utter nonsense

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...oving-me-wrong.2554119/page-38#post-150638449

Yeah Matthews with BETTER TEAMMATES, MORE PP ICE TIME, MORE ICE TIME AND A WAY BETTER PP is going to score LESS than his last year's pace.

At least TRY and make your Matthews hate a bit less apparent, what you're writing is pure biased nonsense.

you could dial back the over the top optimism too. EASILY break 100 is a bit much.

I want him to be great too, but you're just as far the other way as he is pessimistic

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
you could dial back the over the top optimism too. EASILY break 100 is a bit much.

I want him to be great too, but you're just as far the other way as he is pessimistic

I made my case already, if you want to respond to it, feel free.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I made my argument based on facts and data, you made yours on feelings and Stamkos.

Bottom line, this is what you believe

feelings and Stamkos? an example of a player crashing back down to earth after a hot streak just last year doesn't count as a data point? what if I went and dug up another half dozen names? would it be "feelings and Stamkos and Kucherov and Ovechkin and Laine and Marleau and Weber and Gagner and Vanek" or would that be too much of a mouthful?

I also like how you changed your argument from "better linemates" to "better teammates",what's wrong? remember how he actually has worse linemates right now with Nylander out? :laugh:

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
I made my case already, if you want to respond to it, feel free.

Ok. It's not easy to go ppg in the NHL over the course of a full season. Matthews needs 84 more points in 75 games to reach 100 points. You seem to think it's nothing, if you're typing in caps about how easy it is.
Any slump at all makes that number even harder to reach. Matthews is amazing, probably my favourite player. That doesn't mean reality is suspended when discussing him.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
100 points is very tough to get, especially if he doesn't get Nylander back. I think 90 points would be a great season for him

90 points means he only gets 74pts in his next 75 games (worse than his ppg last year)

I think if fully healthy Matthews gets 95 easily with a real shot at 100

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
He (and his team) will come back to Earth. He'll score between 80 and 85 points, 40-plus goals.

so in the next 75 games, 30g and 64-69pts?

thats a significant drop off, even from his year 2 production. He had 63pts in 62 games last year, and is on another level this year. if he plays all 75 games i guarantee he is getting 75+ pts from those

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Yeah 63 points in 62 games while hampered by injuries is not enough to take the sample size seriously.....LOL

Good one bud, really making good arguments here.

I will continue to trash bad reading comprehension and bad arguments because you deserve it.

what argument?

62 games is not a full season

that's a literal black and white fact

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
what argument?

62 games is not a full season

that's a literal black and white fact

62 games is closer to a full season than people like you who effectively want to dismiss it as a sample size.

But since we're dismissing samples we don't like, I'm dropping Matthews 13 games where he didn't score and got 3 points during them, so his rookie year was:

69 games, 40 goals, 26 assists, 66 points

Nearly PPG!!!! Basically he has been nearly ppg for 2 years!!!!!!!!!!

The funniest thing of all though is basically by your logic, him playing the final 20 games at 100% (not being injured) would've impacted his season LESS negatively than sustaining shoulder and head injuries LOL.

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
Yeah 63 points in 62 games while hampered by injuries is not enough to take the sample size seriously.....LOL

Good one bud, really making good arguments here.

I will continue to trash bad reading comprehension and bad arguments because you deserve it.

You have not said why Matthews will hit 80 apart from citing streaks and other players who have NOTHING TO DO WITH MATTHEWS.

I have said why he will likely hit 100+ which is based on:

1.Past linemates v current linemates
2.Past teammates v current teammates
3.Past TOI v current TOI
4.Past PP TOI v current PP TOI
5.Past PP linemates v current PP linemates
6.Historical data of how players progress from season to season based on age
7.Historical data showing why his past season's performances are actually underrated and depressed

Completely and utterly wrong, I phrase myself well and I know what I said:

It would not surprise me if Auston EASILY clears 100 this year

This is not saying, he EASILY clears it, it is saying that I would not be surprised if he does this meaning that I lean towards thinking this more than not.

It's really sad that instead of arguing against the totality of my post, you are instead choosing to cherrypick things I didn't even say and presenting no argument. One day when you decide to read my first post ITT and respond to the brunt of it, this can be a real discussion.

Right now you're just being one of those cringy "well both sides have a point" people and not really saying anything of value.

So you mean to say he will clear 100 by a fair bit? Do I understand you now? Not that the act is easy, but that he will get well over 100? That's the EASY part?
I'm not trying to say the guy you're arguing with has a point. I'm saying you're currently being a fanboy with incredibly optimistic expectations for Matthews production throughout the rest of the year. And if I'm right in trying to interpret this latest assertion, it's not worth a discussion.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
So you mean to say he will clear 100 by a fair bit? Do I understand you now? Not that the act is easy, but that he will get well over 100? That's the EASY part?
I'm not trying to say the guy you're arguing with has a point. I'm saying you're currently being a fanboy with incredibly optimistic expectations for Matthews production throughout the rest of the year. And if I'm right in trying to interpret this latest assertion, it's not worth a discussion.

Feel free to respond to my data points and state why they are wrong or why assumptions that follow are wrong

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/150827647/

Good luck.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
62 games is closer to a full season than people like you who effectively want to dismiss it as a sample size.

But since we're dismissing samples we don't like, I'm dropping Matthews 13 games where he didn't score and got 3 points during them, so his rookie year was:

69 games, 40 goals, 26 assists, 66 points

Nearly PPG!!!! Basically he has been nearly ppg for 2 years!!!!!!!!!!

what is it with you and throwing out random ass nonsense in response to statements of fact?

okay i'll take those 13 games you like so much and throw in his Playoff run from last year(it wasn't easy either I had to find him first)

20 games, 1 goal,4 assists,5 points

Matthews is an 0.25 ppg player,thoughts?

P.S. Matthews has never even hit 70 points

Reactions: Haatley

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
what is it with you and throwing out random ass nonsense in response to statements of fact?

okay i'll take those 13 games you like so much and throw in his Playoff run from last year(it wasn't easy either I had to find him first)

20 games, 1 goal,4 assists,5 points

Matthews is an 0.25 ppg player,thoughts?

P.S. Matthews has never even hit 70 points

My thought is that you are so far removed from the original post it proves your insanity, you have now moved on to saying we should consider Matthews' worst stretches of his career (combined) and then you finish it off with another gotchya argument. Guess you're right, Matthews will only hit 80 points this year because of combining his worst 20 games, why 80 though? Even that is 4x the amount, so why not 60 or 40?

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
Feel free to respond to my data points and state why they are wrong or why assumptions that follow are wrong

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/150827647/

Good luck.

Yeah I read it the first time. It's not as great as you seem to think.

Yes, I expect him to put up career best (so far) numbers. More ice/PP time will help with that. He's also worked on his already lethal shot, and that's a scary thought. (for the opposition)

You seem to expect a jump from ppg to what, 1.3ish? That's approximately 110 points in 82, or EASILY more than 100.

God help the NHL indeed

Big Cactus

Gud Pro
Apr 9, 2018
Toronto
I’d be happy with 90 points considering his start. He is due for some regression, this would be a lot easier to answer in a month.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad