Points for Matthews

How many points for Matthews

• Total voters

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
probably 80ish now with his hot start

Well , whens the last time anyone started this hot like Matthews? Im not a leaf fan and i think he easily breaks 100. That team can score at will and the puck always runs through Matthews.

Barring injury, he easily will get over 95 imo.

80 is way too low, he would need 64 points in his next 75 games to break that mark..which is childs play for him.

Stamkos just last year had 35 points in his first 19 games and then 51 in his last 59

big corrections after hot streaks happen all the time sometimes with way more than 7 games

Last edited:

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

Stamkos just last year had 35 points in his first 19 games and then 51 in his last 59

big corrections after hot streaks happen all the time sometimes with way more than 7 games

Matthews ain't Stamkos, he's far better with a much more diverse offensive skillset and he's not hanging off Kucherov's jockstrap either.

Reactions: authentic

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
The sky is the limit for him. His numbers in the past have been severely depressed

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...oving-me-wrong.2554119/page-38#post-150638449

1.His first year he was in a prolonged slump and had to play with guys that were NOT EVEN CLOSE to 1st liners in Brown and Hyman for half the year. To put it in perspective, the guys he is supposed to be competing with had these "poor streaks" in their first year:

Barzal 5 games without a point (he went on a tear after that)
Ovechkin never went more than 6 games without a goal in his first year (Matthews doubled that at 13 and STILL hit 40) and his worst pointless streak was 2 games whereas Matthews went 5 without a point and 13 with 3 points
Crosby went 6 without a goal although he was always tearing it up point wise
Malkin went 8 without a goal
McDavid went 7 without a goal although he still had 8 points during that stretch

Now I know someone could say he is just a streaky player, but I don't believe this "downswing" was a function of anything more than terrible linemates, not enough ice time (lowest of the mentioned above in their first year) and a bit of poor luck. I think with better coaching and better linemates, he easily clears 45 goals and 80 points the first year.

2.His 2nd year his worst slump was 5 games without a goal and 4 games without a point, although still with Hyman, he did improve and he had Nylander the entire year, before his concussion and other injuries he was pacing for nearly 95 points and 47 goals. Maybe he slows down and ends up with only 45 goals and 90 points, but I don't think this is too unheard of.

His ice time is still VERY underwhelming compared to other players, he faces tough matchups and his PP ice time goes DOWN to 2 minutes (2:30 in rookie year).

3.This year his overall line IMO is slightly better than before, Marleau>Hyman in previous years and Kap honestly is closer to Willie than Hyman in the past is to current Marleau.

His ice time is up, his powerplay ice time is back up to 2:30 and that powerplay is going to give him the easiest points of his life (he wasn't even on powerplay 1 for some of his first and 2nd year). To put it in perspective, he has 4 powerplay goals in 7 games this year, his previous year totals were 8/5 (scored 40, paced for 45+) and so he scored 13 in 140 games the previous two years. I don't think any of us are expecting Auston to score 40 on the PP, but 13 and pacing for 18 only being 1/4.5 of his goal production is scary to think how much better he can be on the PP.

Conclusion:
It would not surprise me if Auston EASILY clears 100 this year, not just because his start, but because everything I mentioned above, he was already underrated if you were going purely by stats (Auston "Can't hit 70" Matthews), but the powerplay he has is STUPID and it's going to result in EXTREMELY easy goals (relative to him and relative to anyone).

60-50 is not out of the question and if they ever give him even more PP time and Willie returns making a Kap-Matt-Willie line.....God help the NHL.

Reactions: authentic and IPS

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017

Truly amazing that I wrote out a long post explaining Matthews to you and all you want to do is spout utter nonsense

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...oving-me-wrong.2554119/page-38#post-150638449

Yeah Matthews with BETTER TEAMMATES, MORE PP ICE TIME, MORE ICE TIME AND A WAY BETTER PP is going to score LESS than his last year's pace.

At least TRY and make your Matthews hate a bit less apparent, what you're writing is pure biased nonsense.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Well yeah 90 points would be great of course, but you don't believe he can get 84 points in 75 games?
I guess it's possible. he has 79 points in his last 69 games (94 points over 82 games), and most of that was without solid PP production. I don't think he'll be able to keep up his even strength offense without Nylander though

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Truly amazing that I wrote out a long post explaining Matthews to you and all you want to do is spout utter nonsense

Yeah Matthews with BETTER TEAMMATES, MORE PP ICE TIME, MORE ICE TIME AND A WAY BETTER PP is going to score LESS than his last year's pace.

At least TRY and make your Matthews hate a bit less apparent, what you're writing is pure biased nonsense.

Matthews was never gonna match last years pace,there's a reason paces tend to go down as you actually play a full season especially when you're like Matthews last year and get injured when your shooting percentage still has a bit more to fall downwards

but whatever keep calling me the biased one Leafs fan it's gonna be okay i'm sure he'll shatter all of Gretzky's records

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Matthews was never gonna match last years pace,there's a reason paces tend to go down as you actually play a full season especially when you're like Matthews last year and get injured when your shooting percentage still has a bit more to fall downwards

but whatever keep calling me the biased one Leafs fan it's gonna be okay i'm sure he'll shatter all of Gretzky's records

Yeah players usually get worse in their 3rd compared to their 2nd year, especially when they get better linemates, more ice time, more pp ice time and a better powerplay to play on.

Obviously Matthews can't score 45 or hit 90 points, that would be INSANE!!!!!

You are biased, just admit your bias and stop trying to pass off your anti Leafs opinion as anything but biased nonsense, what you're writing is not based on anything apart from Leafs hate.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

They say ignorance is bliss but in your case I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Well yeah 90 points would be great of course, but you don't believe he can get 84 points in 75 games?

Not usually how it works. People always say the same thing after hot starts and there's almost always an unexpected lull that causes them to end up closer to expectations.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Not usually how it works. People always say the same thing after hot starts and there's almost always an unexpected lull that causes them to end up closer to expectations.

A lot of people don't seem to think 100 is unreasonable, I mean regardless of what people have predicted in the past about whatever player 84 points in 75 games would have him scoring at a marginally higher clip than last season when he was playing hurt half the time and not on a stacked #1 powerplay. I maintain he'll finish the season either between 100-110 points or at a 100-110 point pace.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->