Pointing the finger at Bergevin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haaabs

Jul 16, 2010
Montreal
The thing that bothers me the most is the solutions used to the problem at hand, ie lack of offense.

I mean, I really like DLR, but the kid will probably never break 10-15goals during a season. But he played a defensively responsible game so we've kept him here.

Meanwhile, a guy like Andrighetto with far greater offensive potential who had 3 pts in his first three games was burried on the 4th line then send back in the minors.

Now I'm not saying Andrighetto would've been some savior or anything, but I think our need for offense might be less critical had we kept him for 40-50 games and in the playoffs. Defensive play can be thaught to an extent, while teaching a guy who never scored more than 10 goals how to become a 30goals scorer is impossible.

TL;DR - Management's solution to lack of offense: keep a defensive player over a more talented one.

The Andrighetto-Plekanec-Sekac line was a good two way line too. Both Plekanec and Sekac were good enough defensively that we could have afforded some defensive lapses from Andrighetto until he improved in that area. It was broken up after Andrighetto got 3pts in 3GP.

Christian Thomas was also an asset to the team, bringing a dangerous right handed wrist shot. Not only that, but his speed was disrupting other teams offensive breakouts. He was also starting to look like another Gallagher the way he outworked his opponents on the boards. Then we got Flynn and sent him down.

De La Rose is a good defensive forward right now, but he has shown offensive flashes with the puck on his stick. The problem is as a winger on the 3rd-4th lines in our system, you're going to be chasing pucks on dump ins.

Galchenyuk played two stints at center, in the preseason where he wowed everyone with what he could do with the puck on his stick and a stint during the regular season where both he and Patches PPG shot up. They were broken up because Desharnais started playing better...as a winger...on the third line. Galchenyuk is playing with 0 confidence right now, Plekanec isn't a puck distributor. Galchenyuk just spends his time chasing the puck.

Galchenyuk Center> Galchenyuk winger
Desharnais winger> Desharnais Center
Therrien's Conclusion: Desharnais center, Galchenyuk Winger.

Point the finger at Therrien for not utilizing his players correctly and being satisfied having Price steal games all year. Point the finger at the special teams coach for not changing anything although our powerplay hasn't worked all year. Point the finger at Bergevin for allowing it to happen.

If we were to draft McDavid this year, we'd put him on the 4th line as a winger in a checking role where he wouldn't get to touch the puck much and send him down when we aren't happy with his production. :help:

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
You see, a week ago I would've totally agreed with you. However, having listened to MT recently it's clear the man is losing the team and is becoming desperate. Even last year when Kreider ran Price did MT come out guns blaring? Nope. This year he's lost his composure a few times and it must be extremely embarrassing and counterproductive to have your Coach blame games on refs, have your team get blown out twice on home ice this year and once last year in the ECF. Look at how Dave Cameron reacted to a complete BS call, he didn't. MTs composure has clearly infected the team and that shows in the form of indiscipline.

I could see us getting Sharp for a DD+minor prospect but Sharp's not a solution as he's on the decline. What's more likely is a combination of Hudon and one of those other guys will be coming in and/or MB finally pulls off a major trade and gets someone of substance, in his prime. Either way, Chucky needs to play C next year or get traded or get our coach fired or possibly both. Our situation down the middle is pathetic and the reliance of DD as a number 1, 2 or even 3 C is a disgrace to the organization. I hate to say it but it's true; Scott Gomez has produced at the same level as DD this year and Gomez wasn't playing alongside a 39 goal scorer....

Good luck with that, no way CHI even remotely considers that deal.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Point the finger at Therrien for not utilizing his players correctly and being satisfied having Price steal games all year. Point the finger at the special teams coach for not changing anything although our powerplay hasn't worked all year. Point the finger at Bergevin for allowing it to happen. :help:

X2 I would hate to start trading players if the coach is on the bubble. I'd rather get rid of the coach, bring in someone who will coach to the teams strengths and see what happens. MT is way past prime and his style is wasted on this group. A square peg won't fit in a round hole, no matter how much you pound it. The fit is not there.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
The Andrighetto-Plekanec-Sekac line was a good two way line too. Both Plekanec and Sekac were good enough defensively that we could have afforded some defensive lapses from Andrighetto until he improved in that area. It was broken up after Andrighetto got 3pts in 3GP.

Christian Thomas was also an asset to the team, bringing a dangerous right handed wrist shot. Not only that, but his speed was disrupting other teams offensive breakouts. He was also starting to look like another Gallagher the way he outworked his opponents on the boards. Then we got Flynn and sent him down.

De La Rose is a good defensive forward right now, but he has shown offensive flashes with the puck on his stick. The problem is as a winger on the 3rd-4th lines in our system, you're going to be chasing pucks on dump ins.

Galchenyuk played two stints at center, in the preseason where he wowed everyone with what he could do with the puck on his stick and a stint during the regular season where both he and Patches PPG shot up. They were broken up because Desharnais started playing better...as a winger...on the third line. Galchenyuk is playing with 0 confidence right now, Plekanec isn't a puck distributor. Galchenyuk just spends his time chasing the puck.

Galchenyuk Center> Galchenyuk winger
Desharnais winger> Desharnais Center
Therrien's Conclusion: Desharnais center, Galchenyuk Winger.

Point the finger at Therrien for not utilizing his players correctly and being satisfied having Price steal games all year. Point the finger at the special teams coach for not changing anything although our powerplay hasn't worked all year. Point the finger at Bergevin for allowing it to happen.

If we were to draft McDavid this year, we'd put him on the 4th line as a winger in a checking role where he wouldn't get to touch the puck much and send him down when we aren't happy with his production. :help:

Valid points.

I forgot to mention Thomas but you're right about it, our offense started looking even worse around the time we sent him down.

After these playoffs, I can only hope that it's painfully obvious even for Therrien that Desharnais has ABSOLUTELY NO business anywhere near the top 2 C for this team's future. It's a shame that Galchenyuk's confidence has been shot down so much that he would hardly deserve a promotion as top 2 C next season, but that's what needs to happen nevertheless.

The real "transition" needs to happen, and by that I mean giving the second center spot to Galchenyuk, keep whoever is our best rookie during camp on our top 6 and send DD on the third wing or elsewhere.

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
Just more excuse making to be honest.

He's had well over 24 months to improve the forward depth, yet somehow it's worse today than when he started.

I'd rather Briere, at least he was an expiring deal. Parenteau isn't a fit in the line up, and Bergevin should have known he wouldn't be with Therrien coaching the team.

No one is trading anything of value for the regressing injury prone Parenteau.

Bergevin couldn't even deal Bourque last Summer after he had 8 playoff goals, but somehow he's such a wizard he'll make a good Parenteau trade now"?

Lol, ok.

I guess you completely skipped the part of my post that stated that it wouldn't be much of a return and a contact would need to come back.

Look, I never once said MB was a genius. But You seem to think unless he pulls off a Weise +3rd for a top line winger he's useless.

RealCity

Nov 14, 2008
MontREAL
We can pin point exactly when the wheels came off for the team, at the deadline this year. Since then how many convincing wins have we had? 2? Maybe 3?

I applaud Bergevin for getting the players he got and for giving up so little, but it clearly wasn't what this team needed.

missthenet

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
I never said they weren't ready in either year. He is willing to bring in top 6 guys, but moving a 1st is a tough thing to do for a GM. STL and PIT did it...how's that looking for them?

He's made small adjustments. He's done a job worthy of a B to B+. But now is the time to step up his game and make upgrades up front.

How about poor drafting in the first round? Louis Leblanc, David Fischer, Kyle Chipchura. Habs would be well served to get rid of their first round selection and take a skater and a second or third round selection. their choices in the first other than Price who fell into their lap are terrible.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
Well that's all I'd be willing to give. Honestly, watch the Hawks regular season games and you'd think the same thing, actually better yet; ask a Hawks fan about Sharp's regular season.

You may be right about Sharp, but you can bet someone will offer more than what you are willing to give. To the rest of the league, Sharp is still nowhere near DD territory.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Well, you never make big decisions based on emotion, therefore there will be no firings, you should know this Whitesnake
Second, they don't have press conferences the day after an elimination game, if you've been watching hockey for more than 2yrs, you'd know this, you should know this Whitesnake.
Kids are progressing??...sure, what's wrong with that, whatcha want to hear, kids are regressing?
We all know what the problem is, it's scoring, top end talent in the top 6, Bergevin knows this and I'm convinced it will be rectified, I sense a big trade in the off season. If we're still in the same predicament in a year from now, as in lack of scoring, if he does nothing to improve the teams offence, and I mean legit top 6, I'll get on the Bergevin bashwagon

First, I'm obvioulsy not expecting the firing of Therrien or Bergevin. Even if I'm not a Therrien fan, I recognize that he won't be fired this year. But based on emotions? Nope....I'm basing it on facts. Who the heck is in charge of the PP and want to still keep using the same strategy and the same players? Not about emotions, it's about facts and accountability. Somebody needs to pay the price, so if it's not Therrien....it has to be some of his assistants. And yet, because they've iced an incredibly awful PP that will, no doubt, be responsible for their elimination, and that without Hammond, would have been responsible for an early 1st round exit....THEY ARE ALL GOING TO GET EXTENSIONS.

And I think that as fans, you also have to be concerned, with statements like what Bergevin said as far as the PP is concerned, or what Therrien said about the same PP yesterday. When to a PP question, Bergevin respond by saying that while it sucked, defense will always be more important.....and that when Therrien, to that PP question, respond that it's because they didn't follow DA GAME PLAN.....this has to be incredibly problematic.

Yep....I know that it's not 1 day....hey, it will probalby be 2 or even 3...guess what though...They STILL will use "too soon to tell" to every question. I hear MOST of the press conférences of EVERY TEAM and guess what again...you ALWAYS hear more than what you hear at the Bell Centre? At the very least, while nobody will make trades 2 or 3 days after, they obviously know what they were missing and already mention, not in detail, but the orientation of the team. We don't do that. But in the end....is it important? Maybe not, surely the real moves will be more important than what is said at a press conférences. Moves that I will be waiting in the summer.....at draft day....or just prior to the start of the year and let's see what he does.

As far as your point about the kids....well yeah? I'm expecting that you don't BS me as a fan. And nobody will convince me that GAlchy is progressing with his 12 points in his last 32 games. What would be so hard to say in a press conference that it will be time next year to give Galchy his chance at C as this is what they did draft....a C? What would be so dramatic to say that he does recognize that lack of offense and that he'll try to address it? In case it doesn't work? Well isn't it Bergevin who keeps saying "I'll always try to improve my team"....so why is that last statement fine and not a more precise one? I would have LOVE to hear Bergevin say, right at that moment, that they are extremely interested in keeping him. Are we going to hear that? Of course, no need to get our expectations way too high.....but I'd love to hear both of those guys say that they finally recognize that the system needs adjustments to let the offense go a little more or that in order to have more offense, well it's pretty clear that the lineup needs some tweaking. I just hope that we will hear all of that......if they obviously believe it. They might just not agree so they won't say everything I just said. Which, for me, would be a concern.

I'm not on the Bergevin bashwagon. I'm just on the Bergevin "Let's make real progress now" bandwagon. And yes, I will be waiting for another full year.....to the trade deadline before judging him even more harshly. But I really hope that something is made during the summer....and not just letting Weaver and Flynn go.

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
You see, a week ago I would've totally agreed with you. However, having listened to MT recently it's clear the man is losing the team and is becoming desperate. Even last year when Kreider ran Price did MT come out guns blaring? Nope. This year he's lost his composure a few times and it must be extremely embarrassing and counterproductive to have your Coach blame games on refs, have your team get blown out twice on home ice this year and once last year in the ECF. Look at how Dave Cameron reacted to a complete BS call, he didn't. MTs composure has clearly infected the team and that shows in the form of indiscipline.

I could see us getting Sharp for a DD+minor prospect but Sharp's not a solution as he's on the decline. What's more likely is a combination of Hudon and one of those other guys will be coming in and/or MB finally pulls off a major trade and gets someone of substance, in his prime. Either way, Chucky needs to play C next year or get traded or get our coach fired or possibly both. Our situation down the middle is pathetic and the reliance of DD as a number 1, 2 or even 3 C is a disgrace to the organization. I hate to say it but it's true; Scott Gomez has produced at the same level as DD this year and Gomez wasn't playing alongside a 39 goal scorer....

I personally would like to see a coaching change. MT has done a desent job but it is time for fresh blood and a new direction. It is my own opinion. But, I am realistic, and I see MB keeping MT at least another season. Not something I want, but it's what I believe MB will do.

That said, MB adding a veteran guy like Sharp who was having issues in Chicago, IMHO, more to do with the progression of younger players, makes him a prime target to be had at less than market value. Is he in decline? Yes. Can he score 35G? No. 25?.....likely. His experience would make him a prime candidate to use on the wing with Chucky at C. He plays a solid 200ft game, still has the wheels to keep up, and has played with talented guys so understands what AG's game is.

BUT. DD will not be what CHI would want in return. A solid 4th liner + good prospect is likeliest, they need the cap space most.

Also, if DD is moved (please God....please have him moved) that leaves another roster spot available. That's one I feel is open to someone like Hudon (or another young player to earn).

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
How about poor drafting in the first round? Louis Leblanc, David Fischer, Kyle Chipchura. Habs would be well served to get rid of their first round selection and take a skater and a second or third round selection. their choices in the first other than Price who fell into their lap are terrible.

you expect a HR every at bat? What about McDonagh, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, and to a lesser extent Beaulieu, Tinordi (jury is still out on Scherbak, McCarron)

2015 was billed as a draft as deep as 2003, not to mention what tp 6 fwd was moved at this deadline that would have made you willing to move that pick + ? If a 1st is to be moved, expect 2016 as we already have two 2nds in hand that year.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
I see MB keeping MT at least another season.

MB better think hard on that, next season is our real window when the cap forces all the big teams to reshape their rosters (except Anaheim who will be shedding a lot of salary). If there is any time to be a jerk and fire your buddy and bring in Babcock, this is it.

Otherwise, bringing in Petry was a stud move and brings us closer to the Cup ... NEXT YEAR.

Also, MB must have been on board with MT's strategy and helped shape it. In-game decisions, MT seems fine. During the season he didn't want to tip his hand maybe, and we had a playoff spot in hand for most of the year.

But if the strategy was to play a passive defensive/counter-attack system with no scorers and then switch to a possession style in the playoffs (like we did last year), he needed to pick up Chris Stewart. Maybe the Sabres weren't interested in giving him to us though.

It just looks like Babcock does more with less and his teams always have structure that you can perceive. We were 17th in giving up scoring chances. I don't understand that. But Detroit was a scoring chance or shot machine that couldn't finish 5v5. So... I guess you do what you can with what you have? Before Petry, look at our defense...

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
I personally would like to see a coaching change. MT has done a desent job but it is time for fresh blood and a new direction. It is my own opinion. But, I am realistic, and I see MB keeping MT at least another season. Not something I want, but it's what I believe MB will do.

That said, MB adding a veteran guy like Sharp who was having issues in Chicago, IMHO, more to do with the progression of younger players, makes him a prime target to be had at less than market value. Is he in decline? Yes. Can he score 35G? No. 25?.....likely. His experience would make him a prime candidate to use on the wing with Chucky at C. He plays a solid 200ft game, still has the wheels to keep up, and has played with talented guys so understands what AG's game is.

BUT. DD will not be what CHI would want in return. A solid 4th liner + good prospect is likeliest, they need the cap space most.

Also, if DD is moved (please God....please have him moved) that leaves another roster spot available. That's one I feel is open to someone like Hudon (or another young player to earn).

I agree with you that Therrien's tenure should be over. The problem is Bergevin said many times he wants stability behind the bench. With the right coach, this isn't much of a problem, but keeping an inappropriate guy behind the bench on the pretense of stability is closer to insanity.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
This is definitely the off-season the Canadiens need to pry a big time forward out of somewhere. Whether it's a blockbuster to get the Staals out of Carolina or poaching an RFA away from a team, they need to add skill to the lineup.

As the Habs have in the past(Frank Mahovlich for Mickey Redmond), they need to pry Malkin from Pittsburgh, he's a veteran that can create offence and still has yrs. to play. Of course that takes trading away offence, probably Pacioretty, Plekanec, ++.

We need to pry a coach out of somewhere. First on the list, at least find out how our players stack up under a proper coach. And enough of this francophone kick, best person possible, period.

Guy Boucher comes to mind as the coach, Francophone, a players coach that can coach an offensive team, inspire his team to greatness.

Trade Gilbert,Parenteau,Desharnais,Emelin for very low picks. Don't resign any 4th or 3rd liners(use guys like thomas to fill up our bottom lines). Resign everyone important especially Petry. Trade prospects for JVR and either trade 1st+ something with small value for Vrbata or sign Justin Williams as a free agent. Fire Therrien, hire Babcock. Win cup.

I'm all for Babcock if the Habs could sign him, Bergevin will be making moves again this off season, my hope is he moves up to draft Kyle Connor a team leader and gifted scorer.

I consider it unlikely to happen, but I would absolutely LOVE to see Mikkel Boedker in Montreal.

Yes (Boedker/Ariz.'s 3rd OV) would be ideal, the Habs might be able to pry him out for Pacioretty.

I think that he made a great deal with Petry. Awesome d-man. But if he leaves, and we finish our trip in the 2nd round, I don't see how the end-result will also be great. There's so much you can do if you want to retain a guy that doesn't want to stay....but it better be that if he leaves. But people shouldn't hold against him the acquisition of Petry because we needed forwards. We also needed Petry but we most definately need Petry for the longer run. Markov doesn't look like he'll improve from now on....

Petry is definitely the player Bergevin wants signed before July and the UFA deadline.

Nobody will be fired. And even more, in the post-season press conference, the extensions will be announced. People are up for some serious dissapointment......And on top of that, they will hold the press conference 1 day after elimination so that the idea is to say to each question "Too early to tell, we've just been eliminated..." And you'll hear "Transition", and you'll hear our kids are progressing....

I'll tell you if people think that that our elimination will frustrate them...they have seen and heard NOTHING yet.

If the Habs continue to play such a listless brand of hockey while taking stupid penalties, I expect Therrien to be moving along.

Well, you never make big decisions based on emotion, therefore there will be no firings, you should know this Whitesnake
Second, they don't have press conferences the day after an elimination game, if you've been watching hockey for more than 2yrs, you'd know this, you should know this Whitesnake.
Kids are progressing??...sure, what's wrong with that, whatcha want to hear, kids are regressing?
We all know what the problem is, it's scoring, top end talent in the top 6, Bergevin knows this and I'm convinced it will be rectified, I sense a big trade in the off season. If we're still in the same predicament in a year from now, as in lack of scoring, if he does nothing to improve the teams offence, and I mean legit top 6, I'll get on the Bergevin bashwagon

The Habs need to trade for a true veteran center like E.Malkin or E.Staal, players that are leaders and can play physically when needed. Bergevin has shown that he makes the moves necessary to better his team, now it's time to move a big name(Pacioretty is the only big game breaking forward) the Habs have to trade player to get the player they need.

I have full confidence in MB. I think he is one of the best GMs in the league and we are lucky to have him.

It was never his plan to be able to win this year. There was nothing at the deadline worth giving up assets for. Next year, however I expect big things. I expect big things this off season. Well, big things as in signing the guy that need to be signed and adding that one missing piece on offense. The rest can come from Hamilton.

The Habs need a big game playmaking veteran center, that can play physically also.

Trade Emelin(for salary cap), PAP (or buyout) and DD.

Trade for Sharp, sign MSL and Petry.

Pacioretty-Plekanek-MSL
Sharp-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Andrighetto-Eller-DSP
Prust-Mitchel-Weise
Thomas or Bournival or Dumont

Markov-Subban
Beaulieu-Petry
Tinordi-Gilbert
Pateryn

Let Scherbak play in Hamilton for a year or half a year if he's dominate the AHL.

I don't know for what Sharp can be traded, and MSL could be signed for 4.5-5M for one year. If it not fit on the cap, Bergevin can find a way. We REALLY need some offence.

The Habs need a player(s) that have some yrs. left in the tank, Malkin, Crosby, E.Staal types that are gamebreakers, or a top ten pick out of this yrs. draft.

The one good thing about MB is that he'll own up to his mistakes. Hopefully he realizes that with the new crop of high-end prospects coming along, the ineptitude of the PP and the immaturity/reversion to 2007 of MT that the man behind the bench needs a face-lift. Watch Toronto sign him afterwards, we get rid of his hideous extension and get Babs!

Babcock would be ideal and could work wonders with our lineup, IMHO.

What it means and what Berge has stated numerous times this year and last, is he's building a team with long term success. He's said he doesn't want to give up young, promising assets for short term rentals. He wants to have a successful team for years to come, not just a team who makes a run for a year or two and then have to go in full rebuild mode.

I for one agree with him. He's building a team in the mould of the Blackhawks. It's going to take a couple of years, but it will be well worth the wait.

This is true, the Habs are close to that elite level, the timing is ripe for the team's offence to become elite also, having the right coach that can blend the team's offence & defence into balance is the next step. Perhaps Boucher as the HC, could bring about that balance, Babcock would be great too, but unlikely the Habs can sign him. :nod:

Time the Habs bring in the young prospects, load the team up for the coming season with the promising youngsters. The offence McCarron, Scherbak, Hudon, Carr and others can bring may be the very balance, that Bergevin has talked about since taking the reins in May, 2012, the Habs have certainly become a much bigger sound defensive team already. With the added size & talent these draftees have, another dimension will be more than the opposition can handle, IMHO!:nod:

Really want the Habs to move up in this draft & get one of the gems available in the Top 15, Top Ten would be greater!:nod:

Last edited:

HabsDieHard*

I guess you completely skipped the part of my post that stated that it wouldn't be much of a return and a contact would need to come back.

Look, I never once said MB was a genius. But You seem to think unless he pulls off a Weise +3rd for a top line winger he's useless.

And you came to that conclusion...how?

Look at this teams' forward depth today compared to when he was hired, and tell me he's improved it on any significant level.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
The PP issue is definitely one that needed to be sorted out by latest midway through the season. I'm not sure who is in charge of the PP but they should have been fired ages ago. We have the tools on this team to have a competent power play, maybe not a solid one but a competent one that is way better than the current one we have.

For that, I do point the finger at Bergevin. The deadline deals I don't really blame him for, Flynn and Mitchell may have not been what the team needed but they've gotten better with time. Petry was also the guy I wanted at deadline and he got him, and he's looked great for us.

Find me a team in this league that has a d corps that consists of guys on the same level as Subban, Markov, Petry, Gonchar(I know, he isn't playing) and has a guy like Max up front and struggles this much on the PP. You may find a team or two, and those teams are probably firing the person in charge of their PP.

It boggles my mind that for 3/4 of a 2 minute powerplay you have Subban and Markov on the ice, and can't score a damn goal ever. It's one thing to be a grinding team, but grinding teams are expected to take advantage when given opportunities on the PP, we don't.

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
MB better think hard on that, next season is our real window when the cap forces all the big teams to reshape their rosters (except Anaheim who will be shedding a lot of salary). If there is any time to be a jerk and fire your buddy and bring in Babcock, this is it.

Otherwise, bringing in Petry was a stud move and brings us closer to the Cup ... NEXT YEAR.

Also, MB must have been on board with MT's strategy and helped shape it. In-game decisions, MT seems fine. During the season he didn't want to tip his hand maybe, and we had a playoff spot in hand for most of the year.

But if the strategy was to play a passive defensive/counter-attack system with no scorers and then switch to a possession style in the playoffs (like we did last year), he needed to pick up Chris Stewart. Maybe the Sabres weren't interested in giving him to us though.

It just looks like Babcock does more with less and his teams always have structure that you can perceive. We were 17th in giving up scoring chances. I don't understand that. But Detroit was a scoring chance or shot machine that couldn't finish 5v5. So... I guess you do what you can with what you have? Before Petry, look at our defense...

It is my guess at what MB will do. I would LOVE to get Babcock, but we know there are certain "conditions" to be hired in Montreal that other cities do not have. Babcock is a McGill grad, has ties to the city, but is that enough to overcome those "conditions"?

But any team with Babcock as the coach would instantly be better, no doubt.

I agree with you that Therrien's tenure should be over. The problem is Bergevin said many times he wants stability behind the bench. With the right coach, this isn't much of a problem, but keeping an inappropriate guy behind the bench on the pretense of stability is closer to insanity.

no argument here. I'd prefer a change in coaching. As long as that change brings in someone who can use the pieces we have in place now to improve....Babcock (no brainer), maybe Guy Boucher?

HabsDieHard*

We can pin point exactly when the wheels came off for the team, at the deadline this year. Since then how many convincing wins have we had? 2? Maybe 3?

I applaud Bergevin for getting the players he got and for giving up so little
, but it clearly wasn't what this team needed.

I'm going to wait and see if Petry signs.

If he does, it was a great move.

If not, in back to back years he gave up 2nd round picks for UFA rentals.

Something that really doesn't make sense at all considering how often he talks about building for the future and all that other nonsense.

HabsDieHard*

The PP issue is definitely one that needed to be sorted out by latest midway through the season. I'm not sure who is in charge of the PP but they should have been fired ages ago. We have the tools on this team to have a competent power play, maybe not a solid one but a competent one that is way better than the current one we have.

For that, I do point the finger at Bergevin. The deadline deals I don't really blame him for, Flynn and Mitchell may have not been what the team needed but they've gotten better with time. Petry was also the guy I wanted at deadline and he got him, and he's looked great for us.

Find me a team in this league that has a d corps that consists of guys on the same level as Subban, Markov, Petry, Gonchar(I know, he isn't playing) and has a guy like Max up front and struggles this much on the PP. You may find a team or two, and those teams are probably firing the person in charge of their PP.

It boggles my mind that for 3/4 of a 2 minute powerplay you have Subban and Markov on the ice, and can't score a damn goal ever. It's one thing to be a grinding team, but grinding teams are expected to take advantage when given opportunities on the PP, we don't.

Continuing to use the same forward trios at 5 on 5 as on the power play when the power play has really been supbar going all the way back to November 2013 is all the evidence anyone needs that this coaching staff should be fired.

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
And you came to that conclusion...how?

Look at this teams' forward depth today compared to when he was hired, and tell me he's improved it on any significant level.

tell me how it hasn't been. We definately have more size and grit, a 4th line for a change too. He's added the Gally's, DLR. The glaring need before was a couple top 6'ers and some size and grit. Now we need a legit top 6 RW. Looks like he has slowly gotten it better. But slow and steady gets crapped on in Montreal. Everything is right now or blow it up. I don't see much in between.

HabsDieHard*

Great, he has more size and grit.

Maybe in a few years we can cheer for Boston north.

Goals win championships, not size and grit.

Their forward depth is noticeably worse this year than it was last year, despite coming off an ECF appearance.

How is that right? That's not right.

phoque taupe

May 15, 2010
Montréal
Yep, and look at the IN vs OUT for forwards compared to the team in the ECF last year and the team now.

what kind of a GM gets to the 6th game in the ECF and makes his forward group which needed upgrading worse?

It boggles the mind that people stlil continue to talk about Bergevin like he's done or is doing a good job.

DA RECORD
50 WINS!!!

:sarcasm:

Seriously, he better works his ass off this summer..

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
I just hope he changes our centre core. It's been the same since 11-12 and the Habs won't be going anywhere with that core.

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
Great, he has more size and grit.

Maybe in a few years we can cheer for Boston north.

Goals win championships, not size and grit.

Their forward depth is noticeably worse this year than it was last year, despite coming off an ECF appearance.

How is that right? That's not right.

we need those types to grind it out. You want all our guys being small and fast? that doesen't work in the old nintendo Ice Hockey game, and it doesn't work in the NHL. The big difference in our forwrd depth....and I assume you mean only in the top 6 seeing as how our 3rd/4th lines are improved....is the lack of a Vanek, or as I mentioned, a top 6 RW. So, we have more speed, grit and size throught the lineup, better faceoff guys, imprved scoring from the Gally's, improved 2-way game from Patches.

The difference between this year and last.....we are now facing a VERY motivated and HIGHLY skilled team in TB, who matches our style of play very well. We are also snakebit these last 4-5 games on offence. Even if we do not get back to the ECF, this team's offence depth is improved overall, and absolutely needs a top6 RW. I would also say that moving Chuky to C and getting rid of DD would help there, allowing another young guy a chance to move up.

We are simply not getting the opportunistic scoring we got last year. Instead, we get a ton of posts, then fall behind and the coaching lags with the adjustments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad