Pointing the finger at Bergevin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
The Bergevin Appreciation Thread

Simply put, our GM is elite. He takes calculated risks, surrounds himself with great people, rewards the players with solid contracts, manages the salary cap and adds talent at minimal cost while getting rid of the dead weight.

Yesterday he took on 3 solid players while not losing a roster player. Petry becomes a solid number 3/4 defender with a right shot, Mitchell adds depth and a right handed shot and Flynn is another right handed center (something we didn't have).

Before that he acquired Smith-Pelly (another right handed shot) to shore up the wing position, adding size, grit and a power forward type that the team had been missing for a very long time.

Well done Mr Bergevin, you're the best GM the Habs have had in years.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
I like Bergevin. He finds ways to acquiring players we can use and finds ways of correcting mistakes.

By the way, in before this turns into a Sekac-DSP trade hate fest.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I don't want to watch Manny Malhotra in a Habs jersey ever again with Mitchell and Flynn on board. His level of compete was awful yesterday. He can't even win faceoffs anymore. I've just had it with him already.

Great job on that aspect, and Petry is easily our 3rd best D. And we're sure Mitchell is going to give it all, playing for Montreal.
The only trade I'm still on the fence is the Sekac-DSP swap. DSP has really, really looked bad so far.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
I like for most part what MB has done with this team thus far.

Still not happy with the hiring of MT and the 4 years extension to DD (2 years would of been more than enough).

Last edited:

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
Simply put, our GM is elite. He takes calculated risks, surrounds himself with great people, rewards the players with solid contracts, manages the salary cap and adds talent at minimal cost while getting rid of the dead weight.

Yesterday he took on 3 solid players while not losing a roster player. Petry becomes a solid number 3/4 defender with a right shot, Mitchell adds depth and a right handed shot and Flynn is another right handed center (something we didn't have).

Before that he acquired Smith-Pelly (another right handed shot) to shore up the wing position, adding size, grit and a power forward type that the team had been missing for a very long time.

Well done Mr Bergevin, you're the best GM the Habs have had in years.

Staffing: 9/10
Contracts & Cap: 6/10
Adds talent: 4/10
Adds depth: 9/10
Get rid of dead wood: 9/10
Active & Openess: 9/10

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Not impressed. He sucks at actually signing contracts. Way too much money, too much term for people who are undeserving. Perhaps he's loyal to a fault? Except to Subban and it ended up costing us 9M/yr instead of 5M. But he's great at picking up grinders !

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
I'll admit I was pretty worried at the start of his tenure with big money for Prust, the character talk, and Subban bridge deal. But now I'm very happy and confident with MB's work as GM.

He very quickly learned on the job and adapted to the new NHL, my favourite thing about his decisions is that instead of doubling down on what he initially wanted (grit and character), he changed his course. We have a GM who within a few seasons went from signing Prust and Murray and trading for Parros to bringing in Tom Gilbert and Jeff Petry. I think he still values gritty players (DSP, Mitchell, Emelin, etc) but only as a tool rather than a goal in and of itself. Murray and Parros were brought in for their physicality. DSP, Mitchell, and Emelin were brought in/extended for being good players because of their physicality (granted that's turned out not to be true for Emelin). We went from signing Briere for character to trading him and heart and soul Gorges away because it made sense for the team.

I also have really liked his trade deadline moves, I think he recognizes that we always have a shot with Price in net so it's worth giving it a try, 2 years in a row we've added a good player at a position of need for very little, I think MB recognizes that this team isn't a contender right now, but Price is good enough that it's worth giving up a bit for Petry and bringing in some depth for peanuts.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I don't agree with some of the deals he's made, but that's just a small number. He's a great GM.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Even though he didn't add a big offensive weapon, i like what he's been doing.

Btw, i really like the Sekac-DSP trade. I'm the minority but i don't care.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Not impressed. He sucks at actually signing contracts. Way too much money, too much term for people who are undeserving. Perhaps he's loyal to a fault? Except to Subban and it ended up costing us 9M/yr instead of 5M. But he's great at picking up grinders !

He's paying his Norris winning dman and best skater how much he deserves. Give it 2-3 years before Karlsson, McD, and Co. hit Free Agency and watch them sign their ridiculous deals.

The only contract you can really fault him on is Desharnais' as he gave him too much term and too soon. Emelin's was also pretty bad but he's movable if he waives his NMC.

His trades have all been clear wins except for Sekac for now.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
He's paying his Norris winning dman and best skater how much he deserves. Give it 2-3 years before Karlsson, McD, and Co. hit Free Agency and watch them sign their ridiculous deals.

The only contract you can really fault him on is Desharnais' as he gave him too much term and too soon. Emelin's was also pretty bad but he's movable if he waives his NMC.

His trades have all been clear wins except for Sekac for now.

bahahaha...

I don't give a **** if PK Subban is getting paid what he deserves or not. Paying Subban 9M instead of 5M is going to hurt this team during their cup window. Price is at his prime now! Plekanec and Markov are not getting any younger. How do you replace what Markov brings to this team and a potential Selke candidate?

Why would Emelin waive his NMC? Would you if you were playing for a first place team to go play in Edmonton or Buffalo? We are paying 4.1M for a 3rd pairing at best Dman. Isn't that the reason why we traded Gorges in the first place?

Desharnais should not be this teams #1 Center. Ship him out and get a winger already.

Parentau? 4M dollar dead weight with another year left on his contract.

Sekac? Terrible trade. Simply terrible.

Therrien? 4 more years?? Why? At the rate that coaches get hired/fired why lock yourself in for so long and have to explain to Molson how you ****ed up when you have to fire him. And before that happens this team would have to miss the playoffs which I don't see happening with Price in nets so Therrien is here to stay for the foreseeable future.

Marc Bergevin was very lucky to inherit a team with many of the key pieces already in place. MB best assest is his willingness to build through the draft and not sell the farm on rentals but really with Trevor Timmins and Shane Churla at the helm of player scouting even a monkey could do his job. Vanek quit on this team and could not wait to get out of this circus.

Ask yourself deeply. Aside from the record are you really happy with MT and MB disdane of skilled players and over emphasis on grinders? Personally it makes me less excited to cheer for this team for the next 4 years. *barf*

Apr 28, 2010
I like for most part what MB has done with this team thus far.

Still not happy with the hiring of MT and the 4 years extension to DD (2 years would of been more than enough).

Came to say the same thing. The extensions were in the middle of a season too, like what's the rush?!

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I would give him a 7.5/10...he lost some points with that Sekac trade and still going for those useless 4th line character players

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
If we had signed Subban to a $5M contract his deal would have been done in 3 years as a 28 year old. Instead, we have him locked up until he's 33. I don't have a problem with the deal. Guys who signed their deals in the older CBA and without a bridge will get money in the $8.5 - $9.5M range unless they take a discount (I can see Karlsson doing this).

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
If we had signed Subban to a $5M contract his deal would have been done in 3 years as a 28 year old. Instead, we have him locked up until he's 33. I don't have a problem with the deal. Guys who signed their deals in the older CBA and without a bridge will get money in the $8.5 - $9.5M range unless they take a discount (I can see Karlsson doing this).

That's not correct. He probably could have signed a 6/36 deal

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008

PK subban was always going to be this teams highest paid contract and MB failed miserably. How is that going to factor in when he has to resign Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, Carey Price? $9M EVERYWHERE!

And what is with MT insistence on making this roster a grinding team? I thought a coach was supposed to play to the strengths of the roster and we did great his first year here as a possession team. I mean who turns a $7M 40 goal scorer into a checking winger? Therrien that's who. :laugh: :cry:

JohnnyReb

Apr 26, 2003
Visit site
Only in Montreal can a team that is in first place and considered by many to be a Cup contender have a failure for a GM, the worst coach in the history of the league, an even worse first line center, and "appreciation" threads that don't make it to ten posts before turning into bash threads.

:shakehead

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
Typical of our fanbase :shakehead

Bergevin signed a 40 goal scorer to 4,5M$/year contract, the best goalie in the league for 6,5M$/year, a heart and soul 20 goal scorer for 3,5M$/year.

But he sucks at contracts because this board's scapegoats, DD and Emelin, are overpaid by like 500k$ each....

:facepalm:

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
bahahaha...

I don't give a **** if PK Subban is getting paid what he deserves or not. Paying Subban 9M instead of 5M is going to hurt this team during their cup window. Price is at his prime now! Plekanec and Markov are not getting any younger. How do you replace what Markov brings to this team and a potential Selke candidate?

Why would Emelin waive his NMC? Would you if you were playing for a first place team to go play in Edmonton or Buffalo? We are paying 4.1M for a 3rd pairing at best Dman. Isn't that the reason why we traded Gorges in the first place?

Desharnais should not be this teams #1 Center. Ship him out and get a winger already.

Parentau? 4M dollar dead weight with another year left on his contract.

Sekac? Terrible trade. Simply terrible.

Therrien? 4 more years?? Why? At the rate that coaches get hired/fired why lock yourself in for so long and have to explain to Molson how you ****ed up when you have to fire him. And before that happens this team would have to miss the playoffs which I don't see happening with Price in nets so Therrien is here to stay for the foreseeable future.

Marc Bergevin was very lucky to inherit a team with many of the key pieces already in place. MB best assest is his willingness to build through the draft and not sell the farm on rentals but really with Trevor Timmins and Shane Churla at the helm of player scouting even a monkey could do his job. Vanek quit on this team and could not wait to get out of this circus.

Ask yourself deeply. Aside from the record are you really happy with MT and MB disdane of skilled players and over emphasis on grinders? Personally it makes me less excited to cheer for this team for the next 4 years. *barf*

No one is forcing you to cheer for the Habs, you can go cheer for whoever you want

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
His contract work isn't that bad, not sure where people get this.

Get over the bridge deal and DD signings. DD was worth the money and the term, just mismanaged.

Look at the pacioretty signing, amazing. Look at the Gallagher signing, amazing. Carey Price, awesome.

He's not a 10/10 but he's not bad, these are some fair to steal deals here.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Lost in Translation

Are we better than last year?
Is this the transition year we were told to expect?
Can you push for a conference title and transition at the same time?
Are we closer to our Ultimate goal The Stanley Cup or actually further?

Does anyone know WTF our Agenda is?
Maybe MB wants to give all one last kick seeing we ECF'd it last year?

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Lost in Translation

Are we better than last year?
Is this the transition year we were told to expect?
Can you push for a conference title and transition at the same time?
Are we closer to our Ultimate goal The Stanley Cup or actually further?

Does anyone know WTF our Agenda is?
Maybe MB wants to give all one last kick seeing we ECF'd it last year?

I see no reason why a team can't compete and transition at the same time.

Playoff experience is vital in the growth of individuals and a team.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Where would Bergevin be without Gainey drafting Price, Pacioretty, Subban and Emelin... he inherited a ton of wealth. Think about what he has brought to the team since Gainey.. ask yourself if he is a great GM, or if he is just adding pieces.

Timmins was already here... Bergevin is certainly reaping the rewards of that past hire as well.

He convinced Sekac to come here, obviously can talk to FA's well.. but sends an awkward message by trading him after all that work bringing him here.

Could he build a team from scratch? Not sure. Sometimes I wonder if he's just in the right place, at the right time. Honestly, he walked into the ideal situation with a great core, a great scouting staff and environment.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
If Subban didn't get $9M when he did, he would have gotten $10M+ in 3 years. Simple as that. Cap rising, different CBA (can't front load contracts). It was going to happen. Just like Pacioretty and Price will command what comparables in the league did from their team ($7M+ for sure, for both.).

And Galchenyuk will most definitely not be commanding $9M, or even $5M. He still has a lot to prove to be getting paid like that.

Yes, Emelin was a horrible deal. Especially when he was signed before he even returned from injury. The Parenteau trade? Now he's going to be looking to unload that contract this summer when Briere's deal is expiring (another deal that shouldn't have been signed).

Bergevin isn't perfect, not at all, but I'm confident in his ability to get the right pieces together. Whether Therrien knows how to utilize those pieces...we'll have to see. He's already forced Bergevin to trade Sekac, so there's that.

Saint Patrick

2 rings in my hears
Feb 14, 2007
I like Bergy, Ive bumped into him a few times, and this is seriously just my personal opinion he never struck me as the greatly strategic and intelligent guy, that being said I have no clue how he is at work. So far when looking at the work he did with the team, I think he's great. Yeah in inherited some goodness too but he's managed to pull some pretty impressive move without shipping out the farm. Sadly i think were he fails miserably is with Therrien.

From the moment he was hired I had a WTF? impression about that move. Based on his history with the Hawks, the team he was looking to build I didnt get that hire at all, and then an extension?? Why ? the guy didnt have a job before we hired him, what are you so scared of? Then I get the impression MB brings on players to help the team and they dont fit Therrien's plan so we end up with bad situations that make both the club and player look bad (see Thomas Vanek and Jiri Sekac). Therrien will always be the black cloud over MB until he's fired.

#FireTherrien

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad