Post-Game Talk: PO #3 | Penguins - 5 @ Flyers - 1 | GAME 3 (L) - What's the next step.

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
thought i got lost and was on the main board with all this finger pointing name calling and such going on in here.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You're acknowledging the fact that this team has zero depth, but not applying that to the reason why G and Jake are struggling to produce.

Plug Crosby & Malkin in for G & Jake and I'd bet you'd see similar results.

Crosby and Malkin are better offensive players.
Look at their crazy playoff numbers;
Crosby 151g 61-110 171
Malkin 152g 60-100 160

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yep. Will be until he rectifies the goalie mess.
Injuries tend to cause messes. Can’t really plan for them.

One goalie getting hurt is bad. Both going down is terrible luck. Elliott hasn’t been the same since coming back and it was far too late to do anything about that. Adding Mrazek was definitely a worthy risk, but unfortunately it didn’t pay off.

We knew what our goaltending tandem was and it was the right choice going into this season.

This offseason is the time to make real additions/upgrades, not last year.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
There were other options last summer that look better right now. Hextall took the easiest one by signing the past-his-prime UFA that nobody else wanted. Now heading into this summer we are back to square one, have 2 unreliable goalies under contract for next year, and no idea what our outside options are.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
We were looking for a cheap mediocre goalie to be a placeholder and got a cheap and mediocre goalie who is a placeholder.

Mission accomplished.

Also not sure what you mean by “easiest”.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Only goalie in the organization I can see winning a playoff series but hes so pathetically unreliable that we dont even want him on the team. What a mess.

He’s reliable at making multiple trips to the injured reserve list every year. He’s not a bad goalie when healthy but that basically means nothing. I just want to cut losses with him at this point.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
We were looking for a cheap mediocre goalie to be a placeholder and got a cheap and mediocre goalie who is a placeholder.

Mission accomplished.

Also not sure what you mean by “easiest”.

By easiest option I mean he was a UFA literally nobody else had interest in after his embarassing performance in the playoffs with Calgary.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
You have no way to know that or back that up.

Only 3 teams were looking for a #1 in the UFA market.

Winnipeg
Philadelphia
Calgary

We didnt want Mason back.
Calgary didnt want Elliott back.
Winnipeg was all over Mason.

Who else would have had interest in Elliott?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Only 3 teams were looking for a #1 in the UFA market.

Winnipeg
Philadelphia
Calgary

We didnt want Mason back.
Calgary didnt want Elliott back.
Winnipeg was all over Mason.

Who else would have had interest in Elliott?
No idea, that’s the point. Nobody does.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
No idea, that’s the point. Nobody does.

We can deduce based on available information.

We do know Hextall targetted Elliott as his guy.

“When a guy like Ron Hextall calls,” said Elliott, referring to the former standout goalie who is now the Flyers’ general manager, “and says he’s liked you for a long time and wanted to get you on his team, it’s pretty special. I wanted to take advantage of that opportunity.”

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

“When a guy like Ron Hextall calls,” said Elliott, referring to the former standout goalie who is now the Flyers’ general manager, “and says he’s liked you for a long time and wanted to get you on his team, it’s pretty special. I wanted to take advantage of that opportunity.”
Not that it’s impossible, but you realize that line was a sales pitch to sign the guy, right? :laugh:

I doubt Hextall has a framed picture of Elliott on his desk.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Maybe he was told hed be the#1 here and wasnt given those assurances in Winnipeg. Theres lots of things that go in to players choosing where they sign.

Also, there werent very many option on the market that wouldve gotten in the way of long term plans. Bishop was the only hot commodity, and he woulve required at least a 5 year commitement.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Injuries tend to cause messes. Can’t really plan for them.

One goalie getting hurt is bad. Both going down is terrible luck.

Not entirely bad luck. Partially predictable (Neuvirth), partially improper usage ( Hak unnecessarily riding Elliott). This is something Hextall needs to address, with the (regretfully) returning coach and with the backup role.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I also remember people specifically wanting to go after Mrazek in the summer... so what seems like a good option isn’t always one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad