Post-Game Talk: PO #3 | Penguins - 5 @ Flyers - 1 | GAME 3 (L) - What's the next step.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Raffl to 1st instead TK is second most stupid decision by Haktard for me what he did. Just behind Konecny in bottom-six.

He really must hate TK or I don't know.

#FireHakstol

Coach doesn't know how to use him so he buries him. Which keep giving me this Hitchcock "the game is just to rich for him" vibe (referring to Justin Williams).

David St Hubbins

Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
I guess he was trying to even out the lines more. But the only way I see to do that is roll G - Coots - Patrick - Filp down the middle with each given 1 complimentary piece. I think we’d still get destroyed

I will grant you "evening out the lines" to create more scoring threats up and down the lineup is a reasonable goal. Where I fall off the old turnip truck is that the results have very clearly been the opposite. They are not generating more chances, at least in 2 of the 3 games. Unfortunately because they exploded (or Murray imploded, take your pick) in Game 2, people seem to be having trouble seeing the obvious. So a few more games of frustration to build up the sample size may be needed. :rolleyes:

Reactions: klutch and Rebels57

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Coach doesn't know how to use him so he buries him. Which keep giving me this Hitchcock "the game is just to rich for him" vibe (referring to Justin Williams).
It's just so dumb.

Konecny had 10 points in the previous 11 games while on the top line...then gets bumped for Raffl. TK now has 1 point in 6 games as a LW on the 3rd line.

Neutered by our coach.

David St Hubbins

Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
It's just so dumb.

Konecny had 10 points in the previous 11 games while on the top line...then gets bumped for Raffl. TK now has 1 point in 6 games as a LW on the 3rd line.

Neutered by our coach.

If they end up trading him for a mediocre, chain smoking, Russian defenseman, I may just go postal. (Yes, I am still carrying a grudge about that trade)

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
He should have swapped or never have swapped the lines. It isn't working so don't keep it going.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
It's why Hak never is a winner. He can't make the right decision on the fly to help his teams win.

Not only that, buts its just dumb. Out bottom 6 isnt out playing Pitt's bottom 6. They may be able to contain it, but they arent going to be 'better' no matter what.

Stack the top 6, slug it out. We arent going to shut the Pens down. At this point, the only way were gonna win is if we can minimize the damage and cause more of our own.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Biggest problem with yesterday game was all the penalties. Being on the PK took all of the great 5v5 play stop our momentum. Thats why they lost more than coaching and or best or worst players. some calls may have been ticky tacky but they were the calls. the refs took over the game. the bad calls were the missed ones that could have help shift it back to the flyers. this happens and as a fan base we all knew we needed to stay out of the box. and we didn't. Should we have gotten a few more calls sure but we took penalties at the worst times

Reactions: Rebels57

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
If Mrazek isn't in net next game, I think it's an automatic loss. Seriously, I think Mrazek sucks but dear lord has Elliott been a special kind of awful. Also, please for the love of god, bring in Weal instead of Lehtera.

History says, we won't change the goalie until it's too late.

Our handling of Mason vs the Caps 2 years ago + not playing the young guys at the end of last season when it didn't matter anymore = my decision Hak was the problem. Nothing has happened to change my mind about Hak.

He's rigid. It's the playoffs; we need to be fluid and adapt. Not the ol' stick the path type of mentality. NOPE.

Getting under their skin worked (it has ALWAYS worked - dating back what 6+ years now?) and switch up the goaltending. I don't think Mrazek is any better but for f***'s sake what good comes from leaving Elliott in for 5 goals against? Who does that help? It isn't even good for the damn goalie who is getting embarassed - it is purely a Hakstol move and one that is not a good move by any coaching standards

Reactions: RespectTheProvorov

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Biggest problem with yesterday game was all the penalties. Being on the PK took all of the great 5v5 play stop our momentum. Thats why they lost more than coaching and or best or worst players. some calls may have been ticky tacky but they were the calls. the refs took over the game. the bad calls were the missed ones that could have help shift it back to the flyers. this happens and as a fan base we all knew we needed to stay out of the box. and we didn't. Should we have gotten a few more calls sure but we took penalties at the worst times

Yep bad special teams and bad goaltending lost to good special teams and good goaltending. That is really what yesterdays game boiled down to.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
History says, we won't change the goalie until it's too late.

Our handling of Mason vs the Caps 2 years ago + not playing the young guys at the end of last season when it didn't matter anymore = my decision Hak was the problem. Nothing has happened to change my mind about Hak.

He's rigid. It's the playoffs; we need to be fluid and adapt. Not the ol' stick the path type of mentality. NOPE.

Getting under their skin worked (it has ALWAYS worked - dating back what 6+ years now?) and switch up the goaltending. I don't think Mrazek is any better but for ****'s sake what good comes from leaving Elliott in for 7 goals against? Who does that help? It isn't even good for the damn goalie who is getting embarassed - it is purely a Hakstol move and one that is not a good move by any coaching standards

They changed from Elliott to Mrazek when it was 5-0 in Game 1.

In both games, Elliott should have been pulled after 3.

Reactions: Amorgus

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
They changed from Elliott to Mrazek when it was 5-0 in Game 1.

In both games, Elliott should have been pulled after 3.

My bad it was supposed to be 5 goals against. Will edit post now.

We should have started the second period of game 1 with a different goalie

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Slashes are bad too, because the league emphasized that at the beginning of the season, and by now veterans should have made their adjustments.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
They did have Konecny, but even without him those five are enough to not be “very thin on skill in the top 6”.
And Konecny had 28 points and Couturier 34.
And this season both have blossomed, & they still pale in comparison to the depth they need, as conceded by you.
So was I so wrong before? Am I wrong now, when the Flyers still lack depth according to you?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
And Konecny had 28 points and Couturier 34.
And this season both have blossomed, & they still pale in comparison to the depth they need, as conceded by you.
So was I so wrong before? Am I wrong now, when the Flyers still lack depth according to you?
Wrong.

You said it lacked skill in the top 6.

That had absolutely nothing to do with depth. You were talking about the top of the lineup.

Reactions: kelmitchell

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
My point is that the "lead dogs" aren't good enough to carry this team and never were, this team won because the scheme made the best of a mediocre group of talent - that this team won't compete with the top teams until the kids arrive and fill out the roster.

If Giroux, Voracek, Couts and Ghost carried the team in the regular season, how come they can't carry the team in the playoffs?
My contention is they are good, but not elite, and the scheme protected them - because far from being conservative, it encourages aggressive play by defensemen that makes forwards better offensively. Flyers were 2nd in goals by defensemen.

Pittsburgh is exposing the lack of talent on this roster, something I've pointed out all year.
When Rust struggles, Sullivan can promote a number of players to replace him for a game or two, when Lindblom struggles, who's the alternative?

It's not just the lack of depth, the young players have been up and down because, well, they're inexperienced going against a veteran team. Patrick is playing great, but he's a couple years away from being the dominant 1C we need in this kind of series.

This team will win a cup when Giroux is on the 2nd or 3rd line, that is, when the 1st line is something like Ratcliffe - Patrick - TK, and the 2nd/3rd line, Strome - Frost - Laczynski.
You see that with Pittsburgh, Malkin on the 2nd line, Kessel on the 3rd line.
At that point the current lead dogs will be in the middle of the pack and much harder to stop.

You're acknowledging the fact that this team has zero depth, but not applying that to the reason why G and Jake are struggling to produce.

Plug Crosby & Malkin in for G & Jake and I'd bet you'd see similar results.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK

But he does! He did it! Top line!

He’s the one who f***ed it up by moving him down again. It makes it even worse that he saw that it worked and then demoted him again. It’s f***ing insanity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad