Post-Game Talk: PO #3 | Penguins - 5 @ Flyers - 1 | GAME 3 (L) - What's the next step.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Maybe he was told hed be the#1 here and wasnt given those assurances in Winnipeg. Theres lots of things that go in to players choosing where they sign.

Also, there werent very many option on the market that wouldve gotten in the way of long term plans. Bishop was the only hot commodity, and he woulve required at least a 5 year commitement.

Dallas acquired Bishop in a trade in-season so he was theirs befores July 1st.

Im 99% sure Winnipeg had no interest in Elliott.

Reactions: Morinisbear

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I also remember people specifically wanting to go after Mrazek in the summer... so what seems like a good option isn’t always one.

Yeah I was interested.

Whats odd is that he did play better in Detroit this season than he has in Philly so far. I guess over a larger sample his hot streaks bring up his numbers a bit.

Reactions: Morinisbear

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah I was interested.

Whats odd is that he did play better in Detroit this season than he has in Philly so far. I guess over a larger sample his hot streaks bring up his numbers a bit.
And of course we don’t get one of those. We get the cold streak only.

Typical luck.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah I was interested.

Ill admit i was one of those people. Not because i thought he was a savior. But simply because he seemed like a high upside, low cost option. I was wrong.

To be clear, me pointing that’s out wasn’t a “gotcha” or calling out anyone who wanted him...

I’m just saying that things that seem like better options can turn out to be bad. Adding a player like Elliott, Mrazek, or many of the other placeholder goalie options, is often a crapshoot. We didn’t really have many good options so it was basically take a guess and hope for the best.

Again, if/when hextall really commits to a player and shows that he’s really convinced about them, then I’ll care about criticizing his moves. But things like a placeholder goalie just doesn’t really have enough predictability for me to give him much blame.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
Up and down, and lots of baggage/drama.

th (84).jpg

sounds like prototypical flyers goalie to me...

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
To be clear, me pointing that’s out wasn’t a “gotcha” or calling out anyone who wanted him...

I’m just saying that things that seem like better options can turn out to be bad. Adding a player like Elliott, Mrazek, or many of the other placeholder goalie options, is often a crapshoot. We didn’t really have many good options so it was basically take a guess and hope for the best.

Again, if/when hextall really commits to a player and shows that he’s really convinced about them, then I’ll care about criticizing his moves. But things like a placeholder goalie just doesn’t really have enough predictability for me to give him much blame.

Oh, for sure. Im just content to admit that i was wrong on this one. It happens.

I agree that there wasnt much out there. We couldve taken a run at Bishop in the offseason i guess. Or maybe offered up one of the D prospects (morin/myers) to the gods and hoped for the best. I guess i get where people are coming from. We'd be a much better team with better goaltending. But at the same time, better goal tending isnt going to win us the cup this year. There are just too many deficiencies - the PK, the PP, the coaches choice of players TOI - and thenwe get to the other issues of our depth just not being good enough.

Its going to be murder next year when you have players like NAK, and potentially Frost/myers/Morin (and less likely, but Hart) next year who step in and arent perfect. I feel awful for them, because this board is going to chew them apart too. While they've done well in the AHL/OHl/wherever, they arent going to be rady for the NHL right away. And parts of this board are going to crucify them for it.

If im being honest, 2019-2020 is the season im looking forward to.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
Its going to be murder next year when you have players like NAK, and potentially Frost/myers/Morin (and less likely, but Hart) next year who step in and arent perfect. I feel awful for them, because this board is going to chew them apart too.
dont think so...board is going to be way more understanding about growing pains from our prospects then being force-fed retread ****ups.

Last edited:
Reactions: kelmitchell

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
dont think so...board is going to be way more understanding about growing pains from our prospects then being force-fed retread ****ups.

I think most of us will. But theres a gaping chasm between where we are and where we should be / coul dbe according to these boards. When we only close that chasm to grand canyon size... whew. Its gonna be a mess around here.

Reactions: onlylordsvsmorebp

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Ill admit i was one of those people. Not because i thought he was a savior. But simply because he seemed like a high upside, low cost option. I was wrong.
I was on this bandwagon too. There is nothing wrong with this approach. Give the guy a shot, see if a change helps. He's shown ability, for sure.

However, now we have our answer.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
remember when we coulda got MIKE SMITH from TAMPA BAY instead of BRYZ for peanuts?? i'll leave now....

I believe Tomas Vokoun was rumoured to be second on the list behind Bryz and would have been available for free.
Did only play two more seasons but those were still quality seasons.

Unfortunately, they turned to Bryz for all the wrong reasons.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Patrick was legitimately one of the worst players in the league the first half of the year, and people weren't down on him. Lindblom only had 6 points in 20+ games and no one has called him a bust. We can live with rookie mistakes because Manning and MacDonald do worse shit every game.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Oh, for sure. Im just content to admit that i was wrong on this one. It happens.

I agree that there wasnt much out there. We couldve taken a run at Bishop in the offseason i guess. Or maybe offered up one of the D prospects (morin/myers) to the gods and hoped for the best. I guess i get where people are coming from. We'd be a much better team with better goaltending. But at the same time, better goal tending isnt going to win us the cup this year. There are just too many deficiencies - the PK, the PP, the coaches choice of players TOI - and thenwe get to the other issues of our depth just not being good enough.

Its going to be murder next year when you have players like NAK, and potentially Frost/myers/Morin (and less likely, but Hart) next year who step in and arent perfect. I feel awful for them, because this board is going to chew them apart too. While they've done well in the AHL/OHl/wherever, they arent going to be rady for the NHL right away. And parts of this board are going to crucify them for it.

If im being honest, 2019-2020 is the season im looking forward to.

This place (minus a few idiots) is forgiving when it comes to prospect growing pains.

Reactions: onlylordsvsmorebp

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
Patrick was legitimately one of the worst players in the league the first half of the year, and people weren't down on him. Lindblom only had 6 points in 20+ games and no one has called him a bust. We can live with rookie mistakes because Manning and MacDonald do worse **** every game.
That and they might actually learn from those mistakes. After watching amac screen his goalie for the 100th time or manning making a stupid pinch for the 1000th time it's safe to say those two aren't learning anything from their ways and they are what they are...god awful nhlers

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
They're not wrong.

Hextall **** the bed.

He shit the end by making a move that we almost unilaterally agreed with on here. Hindsight is 20/20.

I don’t know who else we could realistically have gone for. Elliott has had two bad play-off games but he wasn’t the problem in the regular season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->