Post-Game Talk: PO #3 | Penguins - 5 @ Flyers - 1 | GAME 3 (L) - What's the next step.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Konecny played 12 minutes last night.

"Hakstol isn't hurting the team around them". Do I need to continue with the examples?

Take a lap.

Reactions: Tripod

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
giphy.gif
FTFY, Mother Hen. Dont worry about it. I know its hard to put together coherent thoughts on these tiny keys with just a beak.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I thought the officiating was actually decent. The Flyers took a lot of bad penalties that were their own doing.

Reactions: Travat

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I thought the officiating was actually decent. The Flyers took a lot of bad penalties that were their own doing.

flyers took a lot of bad penalties. But the officiating was awful. The two arent mutually exclusive.

The blatant miss of flyers running 5 guys on a PK, and the ever-present Crosby stick-grab. I believe Oleksiak (could be mistaken) couldve gotten a boarding as well.

There were a lot of missed calls, a lot of calls that shoudlve been let go (konecny and whoever it was after the play when couturier and Letand did the same thing 2 minutes prior).

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
You said a team with Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds, Couturier, and Schenn was "a very thin-on-skill top 6 forward group".

That's indisputably incorrect.

And, even though I think what you put in quotes is paraphrasing, at the time Couturier had never broken 40 points & Simmonds was & still is a lousy ES player who relies on the PP.

Spin it as you wish, but the gist of my overall point was the Flyers lacked scoring depth, & they still do.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
And, even though I think what you put in quotes is paraphrasing, at the time Couturier had never broken 40 points & Simmonds was & still is a lousy ES player who relies on the PP.

Spin it as you wish, but the gist of my overall point was the Flyers lacked scoring depth, & they still do.
Nope, not trying to spin it in any way.

You own exact words, in full.
Gordon fills a need with his faceoff skills.

But I think some fans are going way overboard thinking that replacing Ryan White and Sam Gagner with Dale Weise and Boyd Gordon is some kind of major upgrade that, via ripple effect, is going to significantly improve a very thin-on-skill top 6 forward group that could barely get shots on goal, let alone score, in the playoffs.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Part of me wonders if Simmonds' play is so timid because he is afraid of putting the team down a man because of our franchise history worst penalty-kill..

I know injuries have been a part of but Simmer has always had the heart of a lion and would not be out-competed.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
No. Cap dumps are buried in the AHL and don't play. Hextall traded for them because he believed they'd help the roster.
can you read his mind....because hes not going to tell the media these guys suck and are here because they are cap dumps.

Do forget, its a business, and for most of the year they were spending like 5 million cash for decisions made before Ron Hextall to NOT be playing NHL hockey. (Bryz, read).

I know people dont want Amac and Lehtera here, but thats nearly 12+ mil spent not on the NHL club...alot of $$ to bury.

I'm sure Hex wants to deal these deals, if possible, but someone has to buy. They FOR sure won't buy if dude is in the minors. I think A Mac has a chance to be dealt, read will be gone freeing up $$ to bury Lehtera.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
can you read his mind....because hes not going to tell the media these guys suck and are here because they are cap dumps.

Do forget, its a business, and for most of the year they were spending like 5 million cash for decisions made before Ron Hextall to NOT be playing NHL hockey. (Bryz, read).

I know people dont want Amac and Lehtera here, but thats nearly 12+ mil spent not on the NHL club...alot of $$ to bury.

I'm sure Hex wants to deal these deals, if possible, but someone has to buy. They FOR sure won't buy if dude is in the minors. I think A Mac has a chance to be dealt, read will be gone freeing up $$ to bury Lehtera.

Lehtera should be bought out. His BO is super cheap and actually saves money.

Reactions: BackWithaVengeance

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
THIS IS WHAT IM SAYING. G is one of the best players of his generation, full stop. But like Barkley for the Sixers in the late 80's early 90's his legacy is anchored by poor roster decisions by his front office and lame duck coaching.

G can get it done. So can Voracek. They need depth. They need bold, fearless moves. Even Crosby couldnt get it done consistently until they took a big gamble on Kessel and broguht in Sullivan.

Start of the season I said Hexy needs to see what he has in this vaunted prospect pool of his. Instead we get the limp dick approach.

G/V/Ghost/Provy/Cout are all luxuries that Hex/Hak have that can keep the team somewhat competitive while glossing over the missed opportunites for development and growth

This is pretty much spot on.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Watching the game live from the arena I can say that overall the team just looked bad after that first goal and officiating seemed brutal (although, I could be wrong about that...hard to tell from the nosebleeds but it seemed like a lot of soft calls and no calls). No hustle. No heart. No drive. Top to bottom it was a bad effort. Crowd was out of it and they didn't give them a reason to get back in. I know it is unpopular and taboo in today's analytics driven NHL, but I honestly believe if we had a Carcillo or a Rinaldo out there yesterday that we would have had a better chance.

If there's one thing this team lacks, it is emotional sparkplugs. Whether it be the coach or a player. I don't agree with your choice of examples but I do agree with the premise.

Reactions: FlyerFaithful17

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
That was a highlight of the damn evening. He even cleverly left out a letter so anyone would read the "dumb fuk" there...... I have never seen anyone have so many meltdowns in such short time span
:laugh:

Yeah...he lost it.

Youre saying it too. You praise Hexy for the prospects and say they will be our saving grace. Hatcher saying the same thing. G/V cant get it done as the lead dogs and we'll have to rely on younger players to boost us to contender status.

Let me clarify since I am the one that used the Hossa example. The BIG difference, is Hatcher thinks the answer if to try and ship off 2 PPG players because they can't get it done. He thinks it's because they lack compete and effort. He is overcome with emotion because they can't get it done NOW against the 2 time defending champ with 2 of teh top 3 players from the past decade.

I on the other hand, think we NEED them in the future when we ARE contenders because that team will need secondary scoring thru the lineup and also some vets. These 2 can still be 60-70 point guys when we are contenders. And keeping them means other "kids" don't HAVE to become 60-70 point scoring wingers....especially in the next 4 years.

Just think...In the next 4 years we only NEED Lindblom to become a 2nd line LW. Or Allison to become a 3rd line RW. Or Frost to be a #3C. It doesn't mean they won't become more, but we don't NEED them to become that right away. And over time, once the kids overtake them, that will be a great thing.

And notice how Simmonds is not part of this convo as he SHOULD be moved due to his 1 year left on his deal and he certainly has not shown that re-signing him is a good investment.

Reactions: Striiker

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
flyers took a lot of bad penalties. But the officiating was awful. The two arent mutually exclusive.

The blatant miss of flyers running 5 guys on a PK, and the ever-present Crosby stick-grab. I believe Oleksiak (could be mistaken) couldve gotten a boarding as well.

There were a lot of missed calls, a lot of calls that shoudlve been let go (konecny and whoever it was after the play when couturier and Letand did the same thing 2 minutes prior).

Eh.. I don't agree. The officiating wasn't that bad and wasn't the cause for the Flyers to be demolished. Some calls are always going to be missed that's just the reality of it.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Eh.. I don't agree. The officiating wasn't that bad and wasn't the cause for the Flyers to be demolished. Some calls are always going to be missed that's just the reality of it.

Im not saying the flyers got hosed. The refereeing was bad for both sides. It wasnt a few missed calls. It was blatant missed calls, and lots of them. Lots of terrible non-icings (again, for both sides) as well.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Our lack of discipline was a bigger issue than officiating.

There's no reason to high-stick, slash sticks out of hands, etc. It's just lack of thought. Giroux, for example, could have easily went for a stick lift instead of slashing down on Crosby's stick. Voracek's penalties were Voracek's fault. Mannings trip was stupid ass Mannings fault.

Reactions: Travat and Tripod

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Our lack of discipline was a bigger issue than officiating.

There's no reason to high-stick, slash sticks out of hands, etc. It's just lack of thought. Giroux, for example, could have easily went for a stick lift instead of slashing down on Crosby's stick. Voracek's penalties were Voracek's fault. Mannings trip was stupid ass Mannings fault.
I didn't have as much of an issue with the slashes as the ~40 high sticks...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad