Post-Game Talk: PO #3 | Penguins - 5 @ Flyers - 1 | GAME 3 (L) - What's the next step.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Said before this series if Murray reverts back to playoff Murray the Penguins will sweep us.
Well, we totally dominated the 1st period, and were down 1-0, why? Playoff Murray has arrived.

The Flyers played well until they went down 3-0, except for ahem, some bad penalties.
However, Ghost, Giroux and Voracek have pretty much shown they're not the key players going forward.
Ghost and Giroux can contribute as complementary players, but time to move on from mindfart Voracek. I don't care what padded stats he puts up in the regular season, when the chips are down, you can't trust him.
Last time Voracek had a good playoff, 2011-12 when he wasn't a key player, since then 16g, 3-4 7, and if he isn't scoring he's a big liability.

I think for Ron, the importance of this playoff series is to see who will be the key players on his Cup teams of the 2020s.
Couts, Patrick, Provorov, Sanheim, Konecny.
Lindblom will be a solid role player. Giroux the elder statesmen. Ghost will be a solid complement, but something has been lost since his hip surgery, the burst isn't there anymore.

Now we need to start reshaping the roster around them.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
The only saving grace is that Konecny, Patrick, and Sanheim have all elevated their game. Hakstol should absolutely still be fired, if only for his player deployment.

Officiating was a disaster. That 5 minute sequence in the 2nd was the turning point, and the officials were directly at fault. But hey, the PP's were even, right?

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Well, most of us were expecting a 5-6 game series loss and that is what we will probably get.

Not everything was bad about this game. Patrick, Sanheim and Konecny looked really good.

I thought Provorov and Ghost had decent games.

The rest were just straight bad.

Poor coaching decisions could be seen throughout the game, and once again the goaltending came up short.

SuchySays

Jun 25, 2012
Poconos
The only saving grace is that Konecny, Patrick, and Sanheim have all elevated their game. Hakstol should absolutely still be fired, if only for his player deployment.

Officiating was a disaster. That 5 minute sequence in the 2nd was the turning point, and the officials were directly at fault. But hey, the PP's were even, right?

The Pittsburgh special: Give them a couple at the end to make it seem even.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Well, most of us were expecting a 5-6 game series loss and that is what we will probably get.

Not everything was bad about this game. Patrick, Sanheim and Konecny looked really good.

I thought Provorov and Ghost had decent games.

The rest were just straight bad.

Poor coaching decisions could be seen throughout the game, and once again the goaltending came up short.

Ghost made bad decisions with the puck and took bad shots or flubbed them on the PP.

This is officially the first day I have ever criticized Ghost in my life.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Had them down for five games so I’m still on track. I wanted (still do) for them to miss the playoffs because this was inevitable, but Sanheim getting his first almost makes it worth it for me.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Frustrating game. Should have been up. Murray >>>> Elliott. Laughton moved up even before TK was. Lindblom might be out next game (hello horseface).

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ghost struggles a bit with pressure since his injury, before it was judgement, now I think it's simply that he lost something after surgery. He's still a good player and a top PP QB, but something special is gone, you could see it when he tried one of those end to end rushes (which I approve when you're down 4-1), there just wasn't any magic and the Penguins weren't backing off.

Sanheim on the other hand, is growing up before our eyes, and yes, I think sending him down was the best thing that happened to him, he went back to AHL, got his s**t together, and came up more confident and has steadily improved. Give him a few more lbs and another year or two of experience and he's going to be a dominating player.

You can see why Giroux was moved to LW, he's shifty, smart, quick but undersized and just lacks the speed to force people to back off in a faster NHL. And he tries too hard to make things happen, he'll be a better player as the talent continues to improve and there's less pressure on him to carry the team. The playoffs expose faults when playing a top team, in his case, the faults are physical, the heart and brain is there. But stop worrying about trying to win a Cup before his peak years are behind him, he's not going to carry this team (nor could he two years ago or four years ago), he's going to be the older statesmen for the young studs who will carry this team.

Provorov is really coming into his own, the first game he had the jitters, second game he played well and it continued this game. His game is built for playoff hockey, crowds and pressure don't faze him.

Konecny is such a brat, has to get smarter about how to agitate (make sure the refs don't see the initial dirty move that triggers a counter move that results in a penalty call), but he's great at drawing penalties. Needs more experience to learn how to play smarter, but is going to be the kind of pest that helps you win.

Hextall is playing Lehtera, Laughton, Read, Filppula, as little as possible, which tells you all you need to know about their future.

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
giphy.gif

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Ghost struggles a bit with pressure since his injury, before it was judgement, now I think it's simply that he lost something after surgery. He's still a good player and a top PP QB, but something special is gone, you could see it when he tried one of those end to end rushes (which I approve when you're down 4-1), there just wasn't any magic and the Penguins weren't backing off.

Sanheim on the other hand, is growing up before our eyes, and yes, I think sending him down was the best thing that happened to him, he went back to AHL, got his s**t together, and came up more confident and has steadily improved. Give him a few more lbs and another year or two of experience and he's going to be a dominating player.

You can see why Giroux was moved to LW, he's shifty, smart, quick but undersized and just lacks the speed to force people to back off in a faster NHL. And he tries too hard to make things happen, he'll be a better player as the talent continues to improve and there's less pressure on him to carry the team. The playoffs expose faults when playing a top team, in his case, the faults are physical, the heart and brain is there. But stop worrying about trying to win a Cup before his peak years are behind him, he's not going to carry this team (nor could he two years ago or four years ago), he's going to be the older statesmen for the young studs who will carry this team.

Provorov is really coming into his own, the first game he had the jitters, second game he played well and it continued this game. His game is built for playoff hockey, crowds and pressure don't faze him.

Konecny is such a brat, has to get smarter about how to agitate (make sure the refs don't see the initial dirty move that triggers a counter move that results in a penalty call), but he's great at drawing penalties. Needs more experience to learn how to play smarter, but is going to be the kind of pest that helps you win.

Hextall is playing Lehtera, Laughton, Read, Filppula, as little as possible, which tells you all you need to know about their future.

i dont like thinking about ghost pre surgery but , imo his skating has never been as explosive. its something i never like to think about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad