Post-Game Talk: Plus-Minus Thread | Rangers 6, Penguins 1 | Insert sarcastic title here

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Yep and they worked their ***** off for most of the season last year. Look what happened? This is what happens when you get lazy, when you say "this is good enough." You don't win when it matters when you say that.

Every game from here on out should be a playoff game. Chemistry? The Rangers just added a bunch of players. They didn't need "chemistry" time. Why? Because the Penguin's problems last night wasn't chemistry. It was just lazy play. No hard work. No win.

No one is going to be able to treat every game like a playoff game, especially when they've basically clinched the #2 seed. You're asking for the impossible from this team.

Again, being lazy and out-worked is not OK. But there are plenty of reasons it happened, and none of them are "THIS TEAM SUCKS"

nTsplnk*

No one is going to be able to treat every game like a playoff game, especially when they've basically clinched the #2 seed. You're asking for the impossible from this team.

Again, being lazy and out-worked is not OK. But there are plenty of reasons it happened, and none of them are "THIS TEAM SUCKS"

Not expecting them too-only when it's going down the stretch.

Heck, if they treated last night any more than a scrimmage maybe they don't give up 6 goals.

Who's saying this team sucks? No one-we're just questioning the work ethic of the club because this same **** happened last year and we got destroyed by Philly. Can't blame the fans for being nervous here.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Not expecting them too-only when it's going down the stretch.

Heck, if they treated last night any more than a scrimmage maybe they don't give up 6 goals.

Who's saying this team sucks? No one-we're just questioning the work ethic of the club because this same **** happened last year and we got destroyed by Philly. Can't blame the fans for being nervous here.

Like Dying Alive said: this team wasn't lazy against Philly, they were stupid. They weren't stupid last night, they just didn't care. It's not "down the stretch" for them, yet.

nTsplnk*

They weren't lazy in the playoffs last year, they were stupid. Big difference.

Revisionist history.

Take out the 10-3 fluke and the Flyer's destroyed us. They destroyed us in game 6. They came back multiple times.

The team had a lead, much like they do now in the playoff race, got comfortable, and lost. "Stupid play"? More like "we're getting outworked, out hit, outscored, so let's take stupid penalties.

The "stupid play" was a result of lazy uninspired hockey.

nTsplnk*

Like Dying Alive said: this team wasn't lazy against Philly, they were stupid. They weren't stupid last night, they just didn't care. It's not "down the stretch" for them, yet.

Disagree completely.

Rewatch the series, we were outplayed in our defensive zone every shift.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Revisionist history.

Take out the 10-3 fluke and the Flyer's destroyed us. They destroyed us in game 6. They came back multiple times.

The team had a lead, much like they do now in the playoff race, got comfortable, and lost. "Stupid play"? More like "we're getting outworked, out hit, outscored, so let's take stupid penalties.

The "stupid play" was a result of lazy uninspired hockey.

The Penguins had the lead in almost every game of that series.

They built the lead through laziness?

nTsplnk*

The Penguins had the lead in almost every game of that series.

They built the lead through laziness?

:laugh: It's right in front of your eyes

They built a lead, got lazy because they had a lead, and lost in pathetic fashion. How hard is that to see? It isn't.

Just like now: have a huge lead in EC-let's play lazy we have the lead. Same thing.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
We'll have to agree to disagree. I saw the stupid play as a result of a team that knew how to get under their skin like no other, resulting in stupid penalties. With the PK being awful and the Flyers PP being incredible it was a disaster.

If anything they had TOO much emotion in that series. They couldn't pull it together and they got bounced because of it.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
okay screw it, no more reality, back to trolling.

Mmrmrmmmhmmhmrrmmmhmmhmrhmm

nTsplnk*

We'll have to agree to disagree. I saw the stupid play as a result of a team that knew how to get under their skin like no other, resulting in stupid penalties. With the PK being awful and the Flyers PP being incredible it was a disaster.

If anything they had TOO much emotion in that series. They couldn't pull it together and they got bounced because of it.

So you're saying that the Penguins worked so hard they gave up almost a record number of goals? They couldn't kill a few penalties?

Come on man. We took stupid penalties that series, sure. Teams who take penalties are 9/10 getting outworked and forced to take penalties because they other team isn't moving their feet. Not every penalty was a stupid one.

This is basic hockey. If you outwork your opponent you will draw penalties.

nTsplnk*

okay screw it, no more reality, back to trolling.

Mmrmrmmmhmmhmrrmmmhmmhmrhmm

Why is it when someone disagrees with someone else it's "trolling"?

I genuinely believe the Pens got complacent and lazy last year. Why can't I have that opinion without getting labelled by everyone on here?

Playing stupid and playing lazy are not mutually exclusive either. You simplify that series into a buzzword that fits into your revisionist history. Sure they took stupid penalties but that doesn't nullify any other truths from the series.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Why is it when someone disagrees with someone else it's "trolling"?

I genuinely believe the Pens got complacent and lazy last year. Why can't I have that opinion without getting labelled by everyone on here?

I'm not saying YOU are trollng, I'm saying I'm going to go back to the overreacting side, because trying to discuss reality is futile on the internet. I had a moment of weakness last night.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Still can't be mad about this loss. No matter how good a team is they're going to have nights like last night, it's just a shame that they had two in a row.

I'm sure they'll be hearing it plenty from DB and assorted other players in the locker room, but the biggest wake-up call might be seeing MAF get so pissed off. He's one of the most relentlessly cheerful human beings on the planet, how frustrated does he have to be to smack the puck around like that? It was like watching Mother Teresa slapping a starving orphan on the streets of Calcutta.

I ended up turning the game off because I had stuff I needed to take care of and didn't feel like neglecting it to watch the rest of that ****fest, so what exactly did Fleury do? Any video of it?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
JJ being bad or good is relative to how you define bad or good I suppose. I am actually happy about the pick up, but I'm not looking to him for offense. Secondary scoring from the 4th line would be a novel concept on this team and he can provide that.
I'm also looking at his face off ability (left handed as well) which would be a huge bonus. I know there is a lot said both pro and con when it comes to the Corsii rating, but he had the highest one out of any of the Canes forwards,
Finally, it was his salary which led him to be placed on waivers as much as anything else. He simply wasn't producing like a 3 million dollar guy and here, he won't have to. Added bonus is that the Canes are picking up part of his cap hit so he won't count as a 3 million dollar guy against the cap.

I'm cool with his pick up given our needs, given that he can provide secondary scoring from the fourth line, can win a good deal of faceoffs, can play any forward position, can penalty kill and that it was a minimal cost.

I rarely watch the Canes and actually thought JJ was a fast skater for some reason, but apparently he isn't. I have no idea how he plays, I just know he will center Dupuis and Kunitz, according to DB.

You just have to start looking at the sum of the parts here and now JJ will have a prominent role. Is that going to be good or bad? I have no idea.

There are a lot of moving parts right now and we will see how it shakes out, but DB has to find a way to get more offense out of his lineup. With Malkin, Iggy, Kunitz, BB, Neal and Sutter, there is more than enough talent to form two good scoring lines.

There, now we can be friends again (in my best VAL Kilmer as Doc Holiday voice).:p:

Smile Huckleberry.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Pens lost because they forced offense and sacrificed defense trying to keep the puck north and did not come back south quick enough. Then when stuff happen they got sucked into the after math stupidity.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
So you're saying that the Penguins worked so hard they gave up almost a record number of goals? They couldn't kill a few penalties?

Come on man. We took stupid penalties that series, sure. Teams who take penalties are 9/10 getting outworked and forced to take penalties because they other team isn't moving their feet. Not every penalty was a stupid one.

First off, not a man.

Second, I didn't say at all that they worked so hard they gave up a record number of goals and I have no idea where you took that anything I posted, so I'm calling straw man on that. What I'm saying is that they played with intensity and I didn't see them looking lazy, I saw them looking stupid. As a result of being overly intense. And overly stupid.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I ended up turning the game off because I had stuff I needed to take care of and didn't feel like neglecting it to watch the rest of that ****fest, so what exactly did Fleury do? Any video of it?

We got another penalty from a stupid useless play (Orpik again) and Fleury got the puck in his glove and batted it in the air pissed off

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
There are a lot of moving parts right now and we will see how it shakes out, but DB has to find a way to get more offense out of his lineup. With Malkin, Iggy, Kunitz, BB, Neal and Sutter, there is more than enough talent to form two good scoring lines.

Yep gonna take a lot of patience on the fans part. Be prepared for them to go .500 at best this month, hopefully the result is a fine tuned machine with all the pieces in place.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
They played like crap and weren't interested at all after the Rags opened the scoring, it's really too bad cause at the start of the game I actually thought we were looking pretty good on that opening pp with 2 posts and great scoring chances. Gave up way too early and it's a little scary. I hope the guys don't have the we can score 6 goals anytime mentality going forward. Teams are going to play us hard the rest of the way and nothing will be easy

SteelFish87*

why did we overpay for Morrow? Rags got Clowe for a 2nd+3rd

why didnt we just get Clowe?

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010

I think you are missing the point. They didn't blow leads by getting lazy, they blew leads because they wanted to score 10 in every game. They took dumb chances that they didn't need to take, and when it backfired, they got frustrated. It's not like they quit skating....they simply quit the game plan!

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Yep gonna take a lot of patience on the fans part. Be prepared for them to go .500 at best this month, hopefully the result is a fine tuned machine with all the pieces in place.

I'm not big on excuses, but I can't ignore that this team has had major personnel changes either because of trades and injuries.

However, I think they can do better than .500. They just lost the four guys I would say are the best on the team at cleaning up in their own zone and quickly transitioning the puck with Crosby, BB, Letang and Martin.

Now you have a porous transition game, with pairings that aren't used to each other, and all of your lines up front have no chemistry yet. When you have injuries to important players and add in guys who don't know the system yet, it is going to cause problems. Other guys have to step up, but that can take time.

Teams also struggle historically when they end winning streaks. Then on top of all of this, there is no sense of desperation and it isn't easy to manufacture desperation.

I said before I expected a fall out when the streak ended, especially when the injuries started to add up, new guys were brought in and BB got sent back. I kind of expect them to sea saw a bit over the next half dozen games, then hit their stride again in the last several before the playoffs.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'm not big on excuses, but I can't ignore that this team has had major personnel changes either because of trades and injuries.

However, I think they can do better than .500. They just lost the four guys I would say are the best on the team at cleaning up in their own zone and quickly transitioning the puck with Crosby, BB, Letang and Martin.

Now you have a porous transition game, with pairings that aren't used to each other, and all of your lines up front have no chemistry yet. When you have injuries to important players and add in guys who don't know the system yet, it is going to cause problems. Other guys have to step up, but that can take time.

Teams also struggle historically when they end winning streaks. Then on top of all of this, there is no sense of desperation and it isn't easy to manufacture desperation.

I said before I expected a fall out when the streak ended, especially when the injuries started to add up, new guys were brought in and BB got sent back. I kind of expect them to sea saw a bit over the next half dozen games, then hit their stride again in the last several before the playoffs.

can you see any scenario other than injuries that would put Bennett back in the line-up? If we struggle enough here, might they look to him to shake things up?

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch

You're probably right. It's just so damn frustrating how they can just flip a switch and go from looking like dog **** like they did last night, to being world beaters.

It's also frustrating when Shero gets a few players that were completely unnecessary to acquire when you have guys already on the team that can fill those roles thst you think need fixing.

Whatever I guess. On to the next one. Let's hope they show some life and signs of developing some semblance of chemistry on Friday, even if it won't be perfect until we have our injured guys back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad