Post-Game Talk: Plus/Minus: Pens vs. CBJ - Backs against the wall edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Anybody notice we didn't give up 10 odd man rushes/breakaways and scored 5 goals?

A partial breakaway, a turnover that led to a 2-on-0 that the Jackets botched, and a couple near scoring chances for CBJ on the first Penguin PP. Not sure exactly how much of that should be filed under "it happens" or "needs to improve".

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
This is a team that can win at will. Just depends on two things:

1. Their mood
2. Murray

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Most of Horny's points this year have come when with Geno. Horny and Geno have dominated goals, scoring chances, and high danger chances when together. I know a lot of people dislike how they look together, but the numerical evidence is getting pretty large at this point.

Also... if I really truly believed that Horny had only one place on this team and that was with Sid, I'd trade Horny because a guy who's only place is with the star player who doesn't want to play with him doesn't belong on the team. Sucks but there it is.

Reactions: pistolpete11

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Yeah. On one hand it's frustrating because Hornqvist really only looks "worth it" next to Crosby. But on the other I totally understand why Crosby wouldn't want to put up with that for an entire regular season.
He's had some stretches with Malkin where he looks worth it, too. Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist was one of those lines that's in the conversation for most dominate lines in the Sid-Geno era IMO. He's looked really bad with Malkin at times too, though, where he almost never looks bad with Crosby.

Even if they found the right LW, I think the same thing would end up happening with Malkin over 82 games :laugh:

Whatever. I don't care. In my mind, Hornqvist is always worth it because he brings it in the playoffs, still puts up 50 points a year, and brings things that no one else on the team does.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
He's had some stretches with Malkin where he looks worth it, too. Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist was one of those lines that's in the conversation for most dominate lines in the Sid-Geno era IMO. He's looked really bad with Malkin at times too, though, where he almost never looks bad with Crosby.

Even if they found the right LW, I think the same thing would end up happening with Malkin over 82 games :laugh:

Whatever. I don't care. In my mind, Hornqvist is always worth it because he brings it in the playoffs, still puts up 50 points a year, and brings things that no one else on the team does.

I'm not going to discount linemate contributions but I still maintain that was simply one of the most dominant periods of Evgeni Malkin we've ever seen. There IS a difference. Hagelin and Hornqvist had a good rapport and certainly did good work in that stretch but Malkin was just playing chess while everyone else was playing checkers for a few months. They've chased after it since and it's just never happened or even close. You are also right that Hornqvist riding shotgun with Malkin all season long is going to cause the same problems as with Crosby.

I have a BOATLOAD of respect and admiration for Hornqvist. I can't reiterate enough that I loved the guy even before he was a Penguin. But surely everyone can see how all of the above is a bit of a conundrum on a team that is already strapped for cap space and time? And with a group of forwards even beyond the players being discussed that are super awkward and lack chemistry.

Something has to give this offseason in regards to their complimentary cast up front, IMO.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think Guentzl is/should be in that convo

Hmm. I won't argue that point. Good call. He's been not just super productive but pretty damned clutch. It seems like he's scored an inordinate amount of big goals for this team. And in the near-total-absence of Malkin this year in that department and to a slightly lesser extent Kessel (who scored a lot early and then dried up) -- that's been huge.

Reactions: SaucyCelly

SaucyCelly

Feb 21, 2019
Hmm. I won't argue that point. Good call. He's been not just super productive but pretty damned clutch. It seems like he's scored an inordinate amount of big goals for this team. And in the near-total-absence of Malkin this year in that department and to a slightly lesser extent Kessel (who scored a lot early and then dried up) -- that's been huge.
I add Dumo too, can't believe I didn't think of him! :sarcasm:
He's not flashy but he does his role!

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Also is it considered jinxy around here to bring up milestones? Because... not namin' any names but a certain someone is 6 points away from a pretty huge one.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm not going to discount linemate contributions but I still maintain that was simply one of the most dominant periods of Evgeni Malkin we've ever seen. There IS a difference. Hagelin and Hornqvist had a good rapport and certainly did good work in that stretch but Malkin was just playing chess while everyone else was playing checkers for a few months. They've chased after it since and it's just never happened or even close. You are also right that Hornqvist riding shotgun with Malkin all season long is going to cause the same problems as with Crosby.

I have a BOATLOAD of respect and admiration for Hornqvist. I can't reiterate enough that I loved the guy even before he was a Penguin. But surely everyone can see how all of the above is a bit of a conundrum on a team that is already strapped for cap space and time? And with a group of forwards even beyond the players being discussed that are super awkward and lack chemistry.

Something has to give this offseason in regards to their complimentary cast up front, IMO.

Pfft. Geno's far too nice to cause the same problems Sid would in that scenario :P

I should also point out that Horny got injured in the middle of Geno-God Mode and Hagelin-Malkin-Rust and that turned out to be even better. Not that we've really seen either combination revisited really, not unless we count Pearson-Malkin-Horny... which is more Kunitz-Malkin-Horny.

Mindyou, PMH worked. As did KMH in its brief spell on trial (well, by the numbers - I can't remember watching it and I don't want to)

And I should also point out that Horny's now in his third season of producing well with Geno.

In any case, the main point that we have too many awkward fits... yes. I think we need to move one of Kessel/Horny this summer and try and get the best possible wing foil for the one we keep. And if I'm going to move from that belief, it'll only be able to suggest trading both of them.

edit: p.s. Ironically I think Kessel/Horny have more or less the same ideal LW i.e. the closest meld of Sheary and Hagelin you can find.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

Certainly Geno was on another level during his time with Hagelin and Hornqvist, but I don't agree that it was only Malkin or that Malkin-Hornqvist haven't worked together since. See @Peat 's post above. Their numbers can be good together even if it's not pretty.

I wouldn't trade someone as valuable and unique as Hornqvist for salary cap or some perceived chemistry reasons. They can look elsewhere to make the changes if needed.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
False.

Evidence: This game.

...but to an extent, yes
I took 'win' to mean in the playoffs.

They played a great game last night, but I don't think they can consistently win games against good teams without Letang, Dumo, Rust, and to a lesser extent Maatta.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Also is it considered jinxy around here to bring up milestones? Because... not namin' any names but a certain someone is 6 points away from a pretty huge one.

Yes, thanks for the kibosh on the season and causing G a season-ending injury next game...we're blaming you now if it happens

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yes, thanks for the kibosh on the season and causing G a season-ending injury next game...we're blaming you now if it happens

He just mentioned something might happen. You're the one who's put a name on this.

This will be your fault.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Eh. Much respect guys but I'm just gonna have to do the ol' agree to disagree. If you get the other wing just right it can work here and there. But Malkin needs puck support through the NZ and someone to do more than simply make a beeline for the net. He also seems to generally favor his RW as his shooter on the line. I just don't like the majority of the dynamic I see nearly every time those two are tried though there are of course ways in which is does work since Horns has a hell of a motor, never quits on the play and does his thing in front of the net and Malkin is, of course, Malkin.

Hey man... I made sure to mark that post safe from jinxing. I have no idea who this single-letter character is you are referencing. I can only assume you guys came up with a nickname for Garrett Wilson while I was away.

Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad