Post-Game Talk: Plus/Minus: Pens vs. CBJ - Backs against the wall edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
In terms of this year and this year alone, Letang and Dumo getting hurt might have been a blessing in disguise. I mean, they're f***ed if they don't get those guys back. But if it gives them the us vs. the world attitude and they can keep that going, they stand a better chance than they did a week ago. Sully wasn't doing it. JR shaking up the team wasn't doing it. Maybe they needed that underdog role.

Another solid game from JMFJ. Glad to see them rightfully give him an assist on Crosby's ENG. Jones never touched it.

Great game from Simon. I for one, have never doubted his talent. Sure it would be nice if he was a little more defensive responsible and/or a step or 2 faster, but he can play. The biggest problem with him is consistency. Hopefully it's just because he's still young.

Good games from McCann, Malkin, Hornqvist, etc. Pretty much everyone all things considered except for Riikola and Phil.

Add Rust to the list of concerns, though.

Reactions: Trade and Peat

RSPens

May 25, 2015
If Schultz and Petterson can do for Johnson and Gudbranson what Scuderi did for Hal Gill, once Letang and Dumo are back, then this team really has a chance. Hal Gill was one of the slowest NHL players ever to play and yet playing with Scuderi they were one of the best shut-down pairings in the league in 2009. With guys like Gudbranson and Johnson, they can be useful when you find complimentary players. It looks like Schultz and Petterson are those players. I only saw the first period and snippets of the second period, but Trotman looked very relaxed, comfortable and confident in his shifts. I would definitely consider him as our #7 and wouldn't be against moving Ruhwedal in the offseason.

Reactions: LittleSpoon

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
This is the first game I can remember that this team played like a team. That tells me a ton, that tells me more than any performance could ever tell me. They looked like one cohesive unit, that has been their biggest problem this year.

We’ll see..it’s gotta be more than one game, and now they’ll be without Rust...playing like a team and actually winning games and stacking points is two totally different things...I’m not convinced if CLB hadn’t played their normally stupid strategy against the Pens that we would have won this, but a defense first mindset from each 5- man unit is the only thing that’ll give them a chance...

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
If Schultz and Petterson can do for Johnson and Gudbranson what Scuderi did for Hal Gill, once Letang and Dumo are back, then this team really has a chance. Hal Gill was one of the slowest NHL players ever to play and yet playing with Scuderi they were one of the best shut-down pairings in the league in 2009. With guys like Gudbranson and Johnson, they can be useful when you find complimentary players. It looks like Schultz and Petterson are those players. I only saw the first period and snippets of the second period, but Trotman looked very relaxed, comfortable and confident in his shifts. I would definitely consider him as our #7 and wouldn't be against moving Ruhwedal in the offseason.

The game has changed a LOT since then. Two moose that are mediocre skaters and puck movers is generally a recipe for disaster in today's NHL.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
In the end Torts really only knows how to Tort.

I realize the Jackets fanbase loves the bastard but they'll hopefully learn someday that he's a troglodyte.

The day draws nearer and nearer to the nightmare of Torts to the Flyers lol.... almost guaranteed to happen one day.... and then the black hole of hate between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia will engulf Harrisburg lol

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Kessel snaping out of his slump would go a long way in offseting a probable injury to Rust

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa

The reality is they are severely missing a shotblocking presence on the blue line and at center... i just don’t see sullivans stuff working as constructed without that aspect....

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Can we maybe acknowledge that putting players in the right spot plays a huge part in them succeeding?

All it takes is a glance at Hornqvist out of the top 6 for the last 10+ games and then how he's looked since moving back to Sid's RW.

Kessel works best with a speed demon who can do a lot of his dirty work like Hags, aka Rust or McCann. Maybe try one of those guys with him and see if that stokes anything.
I can't understand for the life of me why he is ever not on Crosby's RW at all times. I know Sid may not always like it, but at this point, I don't give a damn what Sid thinks about it. It's best for that line and it's best for the team.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The day draws nearer and nearer to the nightmare of Torts to the Flyers lol.... almost guaranteed to happen one day.... and then the black hole of hate between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia will engulf Harrisburg lol

It's true that the hatred isn't quite at the fevered pitch it used to be. That would probably toss some gas on the fire.

It would also assure for a while longer that Philly wouldn't touch the Stanley Cup and sully it. So bonus.

Reactions: Peat

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Can we maybe acknowledge that putting players in the right spot plays a huge part in them succeeding?

All it takes is a glance at Hornqvist out of the top 6 for the last 10+ games and then how he's looked since moving back to Sid's RW.

Kessel works best with a speed demon who can do a lot of his dirty work like Hags, aka Rust or McCann. Maybe try one of those guys with him and see if that stokes anything.
Or JMFJ being in the top 4.

I kid, but I will say JMFJ has looked better on the left side where he should be.

I could definitely get behind these lines:

Jake - Crosby - Hornqvist
ZAR - Malkin - Rust (please don't be hurt)
McCann - Bjug - Kessel

McCann and Bjugstad seem to be good forecheckers and more shooters than passers. If they can get Kessel the puck and get to scoring areas, that line could work.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
One big negative about last night's game. BJ's first goal should have never have happened. The pen's had a back checker in position to stop the shot. All the back checker had to do is take two extra strides, stick out his stick or guide the BJ player toward the boards so he couldn't get the shot off. He didn't have to body slam the BJ player to the ice. This was a very, very lazy play on the part of the pen's back checker. He did nothing and his name was sid.

LittleSpoon

Jan 17, 2016
One big negative about last night's game. BJ's first goal should have never have happened. The pen's had a back checker in position to stop the shot. All the back checker had to do is take two extra strides, stick out his stick or guide the BJ player toward the boards so he couldn't get the shot off. He didn't have to body slam the BJ player to the ice. This was a very, very lazy play on the part of the pen's back checker. He did nothing and his name was sid.
Saw that also... was not impressed at that moment for sure. But I mean, its Sid...what ya gonna do?

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I can't understand for the life of me why he is ever not on Crosby's RW at all times. I know Sid may not always like it, but at this point, I don't give a damn what Sid thinks about it. It's best for that line and it's best for the team.
It's a long season. Having Sid and Hornqvist at each other's throats for 82 games is not a good recipe IMO. I think it's a good idea to keep them separated until needed. Sully was a few weeks late getting there given their position in the standings, but generally speaking, I like his strategy. I just wish it would also result in putting Rust with Malkin.

Reactions: Andy99

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
It's a long season. Having Sid and Hornqvist at each other's throats for 82 games is not a good recipe IMO. I think it's a good idea to keep them separated until needed. Sully was a few weeks late getting there given their position in the standings, but generally speaking, I like his strategy. I just wish it would also result in putting Rust with Malkin.
I get that, but I also just don't understand why they feel that way in the first place. They compliment each other too well for them to not want to play together.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm not saying they are picture perfect players but I think it's kind of funny that the last few posts are going after Letang and Crosby who are like... 1A and 1B for team MVP this year with very little in the way of competition beyond that.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Same thing happened in Philly, but his name was Jake (although that one was also a bad step up by Petterson).

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Like I said, i was waiting to see JJ in the playoffs before I pass judgment... maybe the left side is just where he has to play...

I also agree that while the cap space is horrendous, Gudbranson will likely be a non factor on the bottom pair. They absolutely can Hal Gill him and if the refs allow obstruction again this playoffs he won’t matter much if he has to play

Ideally we get letang and dumo back soon, and hopefully we play the best d pairs down the stretch regardless of cap cost

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Nah, I don't think so. I think Malkin is a bit wary of him since he's having to work a lot harder to hold that line's head above the water. But he's still feeding him a ton. Maybe not as much last night but certainly for the most part, otherwise. It's just that Kessel is biffing his chances. There's really no nice way to put it.

But I'm actually OK with Sullivan sticking with it, for now. The team is mostly playing winning hockey, that line hasn't been a big liability as it has been much of the season and I DO agree that there is a chance they breakout big.

If this line works, if ZAR turns out to be the top 6 complimentary winger that Sully has been seeing forever while we were mostly all going "U wot m8"... that would be some of the most delicious being wrong I've ever had.

Hornqvist has been the best of our RWs away from Sid this season and is at pretty much even numbers with Simon/Rust with him. As such, I don't agree with this.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I understand it's fashionable to complain about Kessel, but he had a good game last night. He was good in both ends. The whole team looked good aside from Riikola, who's been moved around and in and out of the lineup so much it would be surprising if he didn't have games like this.

I would like to see more general hustle out of Sid, but he's clearly following the plan from last year and saving his legs for the playoffs. It's fine.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
The game has changed a LOT since then. Two moose that are mediocre skaters and puck movers is generally a recipe for disaster in today's NHL.
That's why you don't play them together. That's why I stated that with the right partners (Schultz and Petterson) they could work out. Do I think it will work without Letang and Dumo in the line-up? Not really, at least not well enough to win the cup. However if our defence going into the playoffs is:

Letang - Dumo
Johnson - Schultz
Petterson - Gudbranson

I think we'd be fine with that line-up. The problem is trying to decide what to do with Maatta when he's healthy. Petterson deserves to be in the line-up, Maatta and Johnson will be in the line-up. The most logical would be to have Maatta -Schultz and Johnson - Petterson, but will Sully sit JR's new pet? I guess it will depend on the opponent. It is a nice problem to have, but I have a feeling that at least one of the three main injuries is likely longer term then the team is admitting.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I get that, but I also just don't understand why they feel that way in the first place. They compliment each other too well for them to not want to play together.
I don't know. I kind of get it. Crosby gets frustrated by Hornqvist's lack of vision and ability to carry the puck and doesn't want to play dump and chase for 82 games. When it's do or die, though, Sid will do what it takes to win. And that's why Hornqvist eventually finds his way back onto his line.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't know. I kind of get it. Crosby gets frustrated by Hornqvist's lack of vision and ability to carry the puck and doesn't want to play dump and chase for 82 games. When it's do or die, though, Sid will do what it takes to win. And that's why Hornqvist eventually finds his way back onto his line.

Yeah. On one hand it's frustrating because Hornqvist really only looks "worth it" next to Crosby. But on the other I totally understand why Crosby wouldn't want to put up with that for an entire regular season.

Reactions: pistolpete11
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad