Please sell this team, Melnyk / Budget talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
People are upset that the owner doesnt spend as frivolously as they do in their imaginary world with his real life dollars - and apparently we all know his financial status better than he does.

If we added a Dman, we would have been looking to deal 2 or 3 right now. Why would we do that? It would be a stupid move given our finances, the makeup of our team, and the likely fact that we would have probably been bounced in the first or 2nd round, if we even made it into the playoffs at all. Melnyk doesnt want to just spend a few million bucks to satiate a whining fanbase.

No. That's not it. At all.
We're upset because the team is handcuffed around a self-imposed cap for $56 to $57,000,000. We're upset because we were said to be over budget by Melnyk at the start of the season, even though we had close to 10 million in cap space. We're upset because Eugene contradicts himself every time he opens his mouth. First he says he's spending it all on scouting and management then he derides teams with large management teams. First he says he'll add players as needed then he asks Edmonton to retain salary on an expiring contract.

That's what's upsetting. We have a team that could be quite good and our owner is either cheap or poor. Hell, he even said around the Karlsson contract that he'd have to take a discount.

It's time for him to either sell or find a partner. The cheap talk isn't going to fly with an influx of close to $30,000,000 a year.

Sources for above statements:

Over budget:
http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/09/27...-eugene-melnyk-likes-look-of-team-this-seaosn
""We are already over budget, I just found out (Thursday)," said Melnyk. "But like I said, we'll do whatever it takes. We've got to be smart about it. I'm not a big fan of rentals, but if we need to fill a spot, I'm going to leave that up to (GM) Bryan (Murray) to come back and say 'this could make a big difference for us." (Nota: Edmonton had to retain salary on the Hemsky deal. Whatever it takes indeed!)

57MM budget:
http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/04/15/ottawa-senators-owner-prez-gm-offer-final-words-on-season
"The Senators will not be a cap team next year and the club will continue with an internal budget with $56-to-$57 million range. The club will continue to put money into drafting an developing to have success."

On being "lean and mean" and later saying he has an "unlimited budget for scouting."
"But, I think we have a first class team and again, you don’t see a lot of these people and the number of scouts. And I can name you some teams, and we all know who they are, and they spend fortunes on layers and layers of management and my god, I don’t know how they even get things done. Well frankly, they don’t get things done. We are mean and lean and we can make decisions and you have to trust the people that you hire and if you don’t trust them, they’ve got to go. "

http://the6thsens.com/2014-articles/melnyk-speaks-media-conference-call.html

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
Meh. When this team loses someone significant for nothing thats when I'll be real concerned (like ryan or zibanejad). A 40 year old alfie and a bad dman in gonchar were not loses.

Relax till then.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
No. That's not it. At all.
We're upset because the team is handcuffed around a self-imposed cap for $56 to $57,000,000. We're upset because we were said to be over budget by Melnyk at the start of the season, even though we had close to 10 million in cap space. We're upset because Eugene contradicts himself every time he opens his mouth. First he says he's spending it all on scouting and management then he derides teams with large management teams. First he says he'll add players as needed then he asks Edmonton to retain salary on an expiring contract.

That's what's upsetting. We have a team that could be quite good and our owner is either cheap or poor. Hell, he even said around the Karlsson contract that he'd have to take a discount.

It's time for him to either sell or find a partner. The cheap talk isn't going to fly with an influx of close to $30,000,000 a year.

Sources for above statements:

Over budget:
http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/09/27...-eugene-melnyk-likes-look-of-team-this-seaosn
""We are already over budget, I just found out (Thursday)," said Melnyk. "But like I said, we'll do whatever it takes. We've got to be smart about it. I'm not a big fan of rentals, but if we need to fill a spot, I'm going to leave that up to (GM) Bryan (Murray) to come back and say 'this could make a big difference for us." (Nota: Edmonton had to retain salary on the Hemsky deal. Whatever it takes indeed!)

57MM budget:
http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/04/15/ottawa-senators-owner-prez-gm-offer-final-words-on-season
"The Senators will not be a cap team next year and the club will continue with an internal budget with $56-to-$57 million range. The club will continue to put money into drafting an developing to have success."

On being "lean and mean" and later saying he has an "unlimited budget for scouting."
"But, I think we have a first class team and again, you don’t see a lot of these people and the number of scouts. And I can name you some teams, and we all know who they are, and they spend fortunes on layers and layers of management and my god, I don’t know how they even get things done. Well frankly, they don’t get things done. We are mean and lean and we can make decisions and you have to trust the people that you hire and if you don’t trust them, they’ve got to go. "

http://the6thsens.com/2014-articles/melnyk-speaks-media-conference-call.html

Just one question;

Why is it that a quote where he admits we are over budget is referenced in a post saying the budget is handcuffing us? Wouldn't us being over-budget imply that it's a flexible budget?

He stay on message about spending wisely, which at this stage isn't hindering long term success. Our current budget could be as low as it is because of our projections of how much our current core will cost to re-sign, maybe using the influx of funds from TV deals to pay down the teams debts while our core are not yet developed or ready to compete on a contender will allow us to more competitive financially when our players are at their peak; you don't have half the information (more than half actually), but you're jumping to conclusions like you know everything.

People have to calm down about the budget; while it's not ideal, it's not some sort of black cloud that guarantee's no future success, we simply don't have all the details and never will.

People are reacting to limited information and reacting emotionally instead of rationally. There may be financial issues, but the extreme conclusions some are coming too are often far fetched.

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Just one question;

Why is it that a quote where he admits we are over budget is referenced in a post saying the budget is handcuffing us? Wouldn't us being over-budget imply that it's a flexible budget?

He stay on message about spending wisely, which at this stage isn't hindering long term success. Our current budget could be as low as it is because of our projections of how much our current core will cost to re-sign, maybe using the influx of funds from TV deals to pay down the teams debts while our core are not yet developed or ready to compete on a contender will allow us to more competitive financially when our players are at their peak; you don't have half the information (more than half actually), but you're jumping to conclusions like you know everything.

People have to calm down about the budget; while it's not ideal, it's not some sort of black cloud that guarantee's no future success, we simply don't have all the details and never will.

The team was over budget despite being the third lowest spending team in the NHL and before the season even started

I'm not sure in what world that shouldn't be concerning

sam2020

Apr 1, 2014
The team was over budget despite being the third lowest spending team in the NHL and before the season even started

If people would calm down and not read to much between the lines that would be a good start.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com

Calm down and don't worry, our budget for the future will obviously be fueled by pixie farts and dust from ground unicorn horns. If you don't accept that basic fact you must be completely reactionary and you only listen to bloggers.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Calm down and don't worry, our budget for the future will obviously be fueled by pixie farts and dust from ground unicorn horns. If you don't accept that basic fact you must be completely reactionary and you only listen to bloggers.

The question is what the exchange rate on canadian pixie farts is going to be. By all projections we're going to be looking at an exchange of 80 pixie farts per greenback, which could endanger canadian franchises given the fact that the aboriginals have blockaded shipments of unicorn horn resulting in a dangerous shortage.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Buddy

How can I read between the lines of a statement like "we're already over budget"

There isn't much room for interpretation there

Well, they had a group of players they liked, and were adding back Karlsson Spezza and what they thought would be a healthy year of anderson and Mickalek, why would they budget significantly more than their current player costs?

As I mentioned, their budget extends beyond this year, and may incorporate projected raises. There is a lot of unknowns, so people need to take a step back from the ledge.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Well, they had a group of players they liked, and were adding back Karlsson Spezza and what they thought would be a healthy year of anderson and Mickalek, why would they budget significantly more than their current player costs?

As I mentioned, their budget extends beyond this year, and may incorporate projected raises. There is a lot of unknowns, so people need to take a step back from the ledge.

That's not my point though

The season hasn't even begun and a cap floor team says they're already over budget

That's a red flag; a giant red flag

I'm just saying that when the owner says something like that it doesn't inspire confidence

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
That's not my point though

The season hasn't even begun and a cap floor team says they're already over budget

That's a red flag; a giant red flag

I'm just saying that when the owner says something like that it doesn't inspire confidence

Agreed. It sows seeds of doubt and distrust amongst the fan base. For example, there were good hockey reasons for sending Zibby down at the start of the year, but there was also this niggly feeling that the team was trying to save a buck. That type of weird budget talk just fosters bad feelings and worse reactions.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
No. What did he say?

He was talking about how, traditionally, Snyder tried to buy his way out of trouble, as in going nuts with FA's. With the hiring of Hextall, they are going to try to win from within, as in spend money on developing homegrown talent and less on expensive free agents and trades. Galley went on to say that this is the way all owners will begin to operate in this cap world and internal budgets will be the norm.

Just goes to show that what melnyk is doing here is probably pretty smart and, contrary to what alot of people here think, is not "broke" or trying to be mediocre

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
He was talking about how, traditionally, Snyder tried to buy his way out of trouble, as in going nuts with FA's. With the hiring of Hextall, they are going to try to win from within, as in spend money on developing homegrown talent and less on expensive free agents and trades. Galley went on to say that this is the way all owners will begin to operate in this cap world and internal budgets will be the norm.

Just goes to show that what melnyk is doing here is probably pretty smart and, contrary to what alot of people here think, is not "broke" or trying to be mediocre

Do people really see/hear the word budget and block out the rest?

The issue isn't that the team has a budget

The issue is that the budget is the cap floor and a little bit on top

Snyder doesn't have a problem with spending: he owns Comcast! The Flyers will have a budget but that budget will be closer to the ceiling than the floor

The problem is that this team is indeed broke: we were over budget before the season even began!

The problem isn't the word budget; the problem is the number attached to our budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad