Please sell this team, Melnyk / Budget talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Any owner would have added to a playoff team after making it past the 1st round with already one of the lowest payrolls and because he didn't we took a step back. That's fact.

That's pretty simplistic.

We relied a lot on youth that we expected to maintain or exceed their level of play this season.

A lot of them didn't.

John Holmes*

Melnyk is a trainwreck. He seems to be over refreshed in some of his interviews, then he goes public with CSI campaigns and promises a book detailing the Sens finances.

He's a loose cannon. All of these things, and many more have been on TV & radio and in newspapers.

That's not opinion. That's factual, and documented.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Melnyk is a trainwreck. He seems to be over refreshed in some of his interviews, then he goes public with CSI campaigns and promises a book detailing the Sens finances.

He's a loose cannon. All of these things, and many more have been on TV & radio and in newspapers.

Yeah he's out there for sure. But there are no facts to all the budget stuff.

Last edited:

John Holmes*

Of course there aren't. That's why he can contradict Murray and even himself depending on what day of the week it is.

We just have to accept Melnyk's word or not.

Luckily it changes so often.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

You think he gives a crap what we think of what he says or does? He says what he thinks, he goofs around with the media but he's not harming anyone, nor is he dropping hateful nonsense like that dude that owns the clippers.

People in Ottawa are way to critical of how he conducts himself. If someone in the spotlight isn't completely prim, proper and politically correct around these parts, the mob starts nailing boards together and dragging them up a hill.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Perhaps Alfie makes the difference in those games?

Perhaps Alfie would have, but the facts are the team collapsed in several games, didn't show up many nights, and were for the most part undisciplined.

Instead of looking to blame the owner, the GM, the coaches or the absence of Alfie, I humbly suggest examining the players' performances.

IMO the answer to missing the playoffs lies with them.

There was something missing with this team for most of the year. If reports that Spezza and MacLean weren't seeing eye to eye are true, then that alone might be the reason the season unfolded as it did.

Regardless, the 2013-14 Sens underachieved and that can't be blamed on the owner or an internal budget.

John Holmes*

You think he gives a crap what we think of what he says or does? He says what he thinks, he goofs around with the media but he's not harming anyone, nor is he dropping hateful nonsense like that dude that owns the clippers.

People in Ottawa are way to critical of how he conducts himself. If someone in the spotlight isn't completely prim, proper and politically correct around these parts, the mob starts nailing boards together and dragging them up a hill.

No, in fact I am quite certain that he does not.

The guy gets drunk and says stupid things on TV. He's the Rob Ford of NHL owners.

It has nothing to do with Ottawa's politically correct citizens.

At all.

sam2020

Apr 1, 2014
No, in fact I am quite certain that he does not.

The guy gets drunk and says stupid things on TV. He's the Rob Ford of NHL owners.

It has nothing to do with Ottawa's politically correct citizens.

At all.

No he is not the Rob Ford of owners he is a good owner that cares.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
Can we make this a poll or something?

I want everyone here who is supporting Melnyk and his approach to "young core" to be documented when we start letting this young core walk in a few seasons because of whatever excuse this jackass of an owner thinks of then.

sam2020

Apr 1, 2014

I want everyone here who is supporting Melnyk and his approach to "young core" to be documented when we start letting this young core walk in a few seasons because of whatever excuse this jackass of an owner thinks of then.

I am not saying this about you but many fans read blogs and rumors and take it as fact they are all upset at Meynk based on rumors that my issue.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
I am not saying this about you but many fans read blogs and rumors and take it as fact they are all upset at Meynk based on rumors that my issue.

I dont know what your saying or how your saying it. I dont know if your smart or not smart or funny or young or old or whatever. I dont care at all.

I know:
- He said 2 years ago we dont need to make the playoffs to make money
- 2 years we went to the playoffs and made that sweet playoff money, going to round two one year
- We signed new TV and Radio deals where money goes into the team ($40 mill next year)
- We have a new national TV deal that is good for the team and the league

And our internal budget has not gone up and we have let important players walk.

SO I dont care why you or anyone else is on here telling the people who have clearly had enough of Melnyk whatever your telling. All I want is for the people who are saying that Melnyk is somehow
- justified
- not an idiot
- not cheap
- saying im overreacting
- etc...

to state it on a poll because in 2-4 years time we are going to watch very very good players walk from this team and I would love to have that I told you so moment.

Im not trying to be a dick I've just had enough of anyone not seeing what I'm seeing so I just want to see a poll of where i stand and how many people stand the opposite

x Karlsson x 65

Taste the Rainbow
Apr 21, 2014
Moncton
Id give my left nut for a new owner that will actually spend to 60 mil in salaries, instead weve got this bonehead that s lost all of his money

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI

If he starts letting the young core walk then my opinion of him will change. That's crazy, right? Having your opinion change based upon actions.

I guess if you want to "pick a side" so you can later yell "look at me I was right! Because of some guess go for it. Or, what if we do keep our young core and our payroll starts to increase? What are you going to say then?

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I dont know what your saying or how your saying it. I dont know if your smart or not smart or funny or young or old or whatever. I dont care at all.

I know:
- 2 years we went to the playoffs and made that sweet playoff money, going to round two one year
- We signed new TV and Radio deals where money goes into the team ($40 mill next year)

SO I dont care why you or anyone else is on here telling the people who have clearly had enough of Melnyk whatever your telling. All I want is for the people who are saying that Melnyk is somehow
- justified
- not an idiot
- not cheap
- saying im overreacting
- etc...

to state it on a poll because in 2-4 years time we are going to watch very very good players walk from this team and I would love to have that I told you so moment.

Im not trying to be a dick I've just had enough of anyone not seeing what I'm seeing so I just want to see a poll of where i stand and how many people stand the opposite

Don't forget that revenues are needed for all aspects of the franchise. Whilie it may be true that the team does not need the playoffs to make money, Cyril Leeder stated that Melnyk has spent $14M over the last two years in the building. And no, sponsors absolutely do not pick up the tab, as some people stated here, quite comically I might add. So he ain't broke and he actually has a long term vision.

Why can't people wait for the TV money to come first before *****ing about it? Yes, yes, yes, we get it. We have these new TV deals. The owner as it was laid out by Leeder is going to spend the money in the building and to put a competitive team on the ice. How competitive? How pricy? Who knows. Point is the team hasn't received a dime yet.

The cap looks to be coming down to $69M or so to account for the Canadian dollar. Melnyk, people here state, will spend in the neighborhood of 56-57M. And everyone seems to be quoting Garrioch on this. So Garrioch is credible when it suits their argument. No matter what with the cap coming down and the Sens spending more, you all will get your wish at some point.

Either way, the team is heading in the right direction. More money equals stability and reinvestments into the building and team. Just give the guy a chance to see what they come up with for 2014-2015.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Don't forget that revenues are needed for all aspects of the franchise. Whilie it may be true that the team does not need the playoffs to make money, Cyril Leeder stated that Melnyk has spent $14M over the last two years in the building. And no, sponsors absolutely do not pick up the tab, as some people stated here, quite comically I might add. So he ain't broke and he actually has a long term vision.

Why can't people wait for the TV money to come first before *****ing about it? Yes, yes, yes, we get it. We have these new TV deals. The owner as it was laid out by Leeder is going to spend the money in the building and to put a competitive team on the ice. How competitive? How pricy? Who knows. Point is the team hasn't received a dime yet.

The cap looks to be coming down to $69M or so to account for the Canadian dollar. Melnyk, people here state, will spend in the neighborhood of 56-57M. And everyone seems to be quoting Garrioch on this. So Garrioch is credible when it suits their argument. No matter what with the cap coming down and the Sens spending more, you all will get your wish at some point.

Either way, the team is heading in the right direction. More money equals stability and reinvestments into the building and team. Just give the guy a chance to see what they come up with for 2014-2015.

According to Sens press releases, sponsors do pick up the tab for many improvements in the arena.

John Holmes*

It has absolutely nothing to do with bloggers.

Melnyk has contradicted himself, Murray, made completely opposing claims about needing playoff revenue to break even to not needing playoff revenue at all.

He's gone on camera, or in front of a microphone and said that he will PROVE through forensics that Cooke deliberately sliced Karlsson's Achilles. He has gone on tv and told fans to "blow themselves up". There have been several undocumented and therefore not 'provable' reports of other erratic behaviors.

You can't even begin to give a blogger any credit for the Melnyk meltdown.

The guy is a PR nightmare. He says so many things that sifting through all his quotes and pointing out inconsistencies and contradictions now makes you a "hater"?

Please.

He's a slimy con man. Check out his SEC issues of the past (also public record) if you need proof.

Don't waste your energy defending this guy.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
It has absolutely nothing to do with bloggers.

Melnyk has contradicted himself, Murray, made completely opposing claims about needing playoff revenue to break even to not needing playoff revenue at all.

He's gone on camera, or in front of a microphone and said that he will PROVE through forensics that Cooke deliberately sliced Karlsson's Achilles. He has gone on tv and told fans to "blow themselves up". There have been several undocumented and therefore not 'provable' reports of other erratic behaviors.

You can't even begin to give a blogger any credit for the Melnyk meltdown.

The guy is a PR nightmare. He says so many things that sifting through all his quotes and pointing out inconsistencies and contradictions now makes you a "hater"?

Please.

He's a slimy con man. Check out his SEC issues of the past (also public record) if you need proof.

Don't waste your energy defending this guy.

I'm not defending him as a person at all. I agree with everything you say there, but until it actually starts affecting our club I don't see how it really matters.

Like I said he's an odd fellow, but to say "watch in 2 years we will lose all our players" I'd prefer to wait until any of that happens.

We just signed to long term deals two of our young core in Karlsson and Turris

Cowen was just signed.

Lehner is this summer and Zibby next.

Once he starts letting go of these players because of money, then I'll have issues.

sam2020

Apr 1, 2014
John Homes

Yes it does people read blogs and rumors and take it as fact for exzample i could start a rumor Spezza demands trade and there will be some fans that tek it as fact and get all worked up.

sam2020

Apr 1, 2014

I know:

- justified
- not an idiot
- not cheap
- saying im overreacting
- etc...

My point is some fans are getting worked up based on rumors for exzample fans are now acting like Spezza will be traded lets wait and say how the summer plays out.

sam2020

Apr 1, 2014
Id give my left nut for a new owner that will actually spend to 60 mil in salaries, instead weve got this bonehead that s lost all of his money

He is not a bonehead as people wanting a new owner keep in mind that could be far worse while Melynk could handle things better he is a good owner.

John Holmes*

John Homes

Yes it does people read blogs and rumors and take it as fact for exzample i could start a rumor Spezza demands trade and there will be some fans that tek it as fact and get all worked up.

Maybe you could. I guess I would have to know what made up blogs you are referencing to respond further.

John Holmes*

A good owner shuts up, signs the checks and let's his hockey people run the operation.

A good owner does not threaten the viability of the team when he doesn't get what he wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad