Please sell this team, Melnyk / Budget talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
It has absolutely nothing to do with bloggers.

Melnyk has contradicted himself, Murray, made completely opposing claims about needing playoff revenue to break even to not needing playoff revenue at all.

He's gone on camera, or in front of a microphone and said that he will PROVE through forensics that Cooke deliberately sliced Karlsson's Achilles. He has gone on tv and told fans to "blow themselves up". There have been several undocumented and therefore not 'provable' reports of other erratic behaviors.

You can't even begin to give a blogger any credit for the Melnyk meltdown.

The guy is a PR nightmare. He says so many things that sifting through all his quotes and pointing out inconsistencies and contradictions now makes you a "hater"?

Please.

He's a slimy con man. Check out his SEC issues of the past (also public record) if you need proof.

Don't waste your energy defending this guy.

Your vendetta against Melnyk is approaching 'Fuhr against Murray' proportions of insanity.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
I wish he was like one of the owners that never addresses the media and leaves everything to the GM.
I prefer an open owner but I definitely prefer the above over the extreme that is Melnyk.

If the team isn't making money hand over fist, then I have no problem with a permanent budget, so my only annoyance with him is when he talks.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
A good owner shuts up, signs the checks and let's his hockey people run the operation.

A good owner does not threaten the viability of the team when he doesn't get what he wants.

So in your opinion MLSE is a great owner then?

sam2020

Apr 1, 2014
I prefer an open owner but I definitely prefer the above over the extreme that is Melnyk.

If the team isn't making money hand over fist, then I have no problem with a permanent budget, so my only annoyance with him is when he talks.

Every team has a budget the mistake Melynk made was using that word.

sam2020

Apr 1, 2014
I wish he was like one of the owners that never addresses the media and leaves everything to the GM.

There are certain things the GM should not and might not want to talk about leave that to the Pres.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

I just don't think he's harming the team when he talks, people blow it out of proportion. Im sure there are some that see him as a bit of a goofball, but is he damaging the Sens organization? I doubt it. Making a backup goalie without any experience a general manager for 10 years is hurting the organization.

I wonder how much of this stems from the alleged drunken email that was only reported by completely unreliable internet bloggers. Lots of people around here seem to take a couple pieces of conjecture, put them together and start declaring it all to be fact.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008

I love how he is doing all this rah-rah Canadian forces stuff from tropics of Barbados.

What a schlub, helping out soldiers and their family. Shut your drunken mouth, Melnyk!

The fact that youre using this to bash him shows just how pathetic/petty this board has become.

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It doesn't help his image that he spends an inordinate amount of time in what is widely considered a tax-evasion haven

I don't have a problem with it but I'm also conscious of the image he projects

I'm not angry at the guy but I can't say I'm not disappointed that he clearly has "foot in mouth disease" and that it is of his own making

At the end of the day what I'm left with is

Our team needed serious help on D and nothing whatsoever was done to help in that regard as the season went along

There could be a lot of reasons for that but I'm left wondering if it was because of the budget

That's on Melnyk: he planted the seeds of doubt

Last edited:

sam2020

Apr 1, 2014
What a schlub, helping out soldiers and their family. Shut your drunken mouth, Melnyk!

The fact that youre using this to bash him shows just how pathetic this board has become.

I think people hate him because he cares which is very rare for any owner in pro sports.

sam2020

Apr 1, 2014
I just don't think he's harming the team when he talks, people blow it out of proportion. Im sure there are some that see him as a bit of a goofball, but is he damaging the Sens organization? I doubt it. Making a backup goalie without any experience a general manager for 10 years is hurting the organization.

I wonder how much of this stems from the alleged drunken email that was only reported by completely unreliable internet bloggers. Lots of people around here seem to take a couple pieces of conjecture, put them together and start declaring it all to be fact.

Melyk could handle things much betetr but if people look at his ideas and what his point is much of it makes sense.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Enough with the high school drama people

No one really hates Melnyk

People are just frustrated that nothing was done in order to help the team that clearly needed a lot of help and the budget is the most likely culprit

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
It doesn't help his image that he spends an inordinate amount of time in what is widely considered a tax-evasion haven

I don't have a problem with it but I'm also conscious of the image he projects

I'm not angry at the guy but I can't say I'm not disappointed that he clearly has "foot in mouth disease" and that it is of his own making

At the end of the day what I'm left with is

Our team needed serious help on D and nothing whatsoever was done to help in that regards as the season went along

There could be a lot of reasons for that but I'm left wondering if it was because of the budget

That's on Melnyk: he planted the seeds of doubt

We needed serious help on D because we had 5 regulars under 25 years old! Only one of which entered the season with over 100 games! We didnt go for a quick fix. That is all. We didnt overcrowd our D for the future or gamble to make a big rental acquisition.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008

People are just frustrated that nothing was done in order to help the team that clearly needed a lot of help and the budget is the most likely culprit

People are upset that the owner doesnt spend as frivolously as they do in their imaginary world with his real life dollars - and apparently we all know his financial status better than he does.

If we added a Dman, we would have been looking to deal 2 or 3 right now. Why would we do that? It would be a stupid move given our finances, the makeup of our team, and the likely fact that we would have probably been bounced in the first or 2nd round, if we even made it into the playoffs at all. Melnyk doesnt want to just spend a few million bucks to satiate a whining fanbase.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

...and the budget is based on our ticket sales and prices. Is everyone on board with a 25% ticket price increase more in line with all Canadian teams?

Yeah, thought so. Be careful what you wish for.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
There not permanently low budget.
To clarify, I wouldn't mind a permanently low budget and only wish that Melnyk wouldn't talk as much as he does on radio for example.

Whether there's a long term tight budget remains to be seen and the next 3-5 years will give a good idea about where it stands.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
People are upset that the owner doesnt spend as frivolously as they do in their imaginary world with his real life dollars - and apparently we all know his financial status better than he does.

If we added a Dman, we would have been looking to deal 2 or 3 right now. Why would we do that? It would be a stupid move given our finances, the makeup of our team, and the likely fact that we would have probably been bounced in the first or 2nd round, if we even made it into the playoffs at all. Melnyk doesnt want to just spend a few million bucks to satiate a whining fanbase.

Teams make a lot of extra cash when making the playoffs. Getting in the playoffs for a cap floor team that has had recent success should be a necessity, not seen as some extra bonus

Clearly this team needs all the revenue it can get

Now I'm not saying that we should have overpaid for D help, I'm just giving my view on the psyche of the fanbase: we all knew the D wasn't good enough and nothing was done so we've all got grounds to be worried.

...and the budget is based on our ticket sales and prices. Is everyone on board with a 25% ticket price increase more in line with all Canadian teams?

I'd be ok with it personnally

But I don't represent the entire market either

One thing is certain, you're not going to get people to pay more to see a bad product

Improving the on-ice product will have to come before increasing ticket prices, no way around that

John Holmes*

Your vendetta against Melnyk is approaching 'Fuhr against Murray' proportions of insanity.

I have no vendetta against Melnyk.

How many more times do you need to have this debunked for you?

sam2020

Apr 1, 2014
coladin

The thing is those other citys have large companys that are allowed to buy tickets and give them markets like Toronto and Montreal sell large amounts of tickets to big companys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad