Please sell this team, Melnyk / Budget talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
if you suggest our hockey market is small compared to the Jets, then show it, so far you're 0% of the way there

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Don't the Jets have season ticket holders signed up for another year or two as a condition for the team coming back to Winnipeg?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
if you suggest our hockey market is small compared to the Jets, then show it, so far you're 0% of the way there

Well, there's no concrete numbers to prove it because there's never been a census that records this sort of data, but I'd say Ottawa suffers from the fact that 1/3 of the city are still either Leafs fans or Habs fans.

Completely unsubstantiated estimate on my part, but fairly accurate from my own experience and observation.

The Fuhr*

So Ottawa has just a big a market Winnipeg but can't afford the same payroll... Interesting

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Don't the Jets have season ticket holders signed up for another year or two as a condition for the team coming back to Winnipeg?
i think that was a 'personal goal' kinda thing, but the honeymoon of just having an NHL team is supposedly over as the Jets aren't being successful

Goat Boy

Jun 8, 2011
People in Ottawa will never be as rabid about a sports team as people on Winnipeg. And Ottawa has all the Leafs and Habs residue to deal with. And the Winnipeg Jets appeal to an audience far wider than the city itself, representing the province moreso than just the city.

Essentially its 1.2 million diehards in Manitoba vs. 500,000 couldn't-care-less public servants in Ottawa.

Last edited:

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
But is that an accurate/adequate indicator of the -market- population?

No.

While obviously population is a factor, corporate presence, provincial & local government involvement, competition, etc have huge influences.

For example, Ottawa has Montreal and Toronto to compete with in this market, both long established original six teams that still hold a significant fanbase in the city.

LatteLarrys

LatteLarry's
Dec 27, 2013

FireMelnyk

Jun 3, 2006
Ottawa average attendance 18,108, Winnipeg 15,004. Winnipeg isn't a hockey market, they can't even support their team.

Laoghaire

Jun 1, 2008
Ottawa
People in Ottawa will never be as rabid about a sports team as people on Winnipeg. And Ottawa has all the Leafs and Habs residue to deal with. And the Winnipeg Jets appeal to an audience far wider than the city itself, representing the province moreso than just the city.

Essentially its 1.2 million diehards in Manitoba vs. 500,000 could-care-less public servants in Ottawa.
Those residual Leafs and Habs fans really serve to make this a terrible market. It's a huge part of why I hate them.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Isn't San Jose's tv deal like less than 5 mil? I'm sure there's other ways we compete with larger populations. I wonder if we sell more merchandise than some of the less intense American markets with bigger pop?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
You would think that a hockey market like Winnipeg could support an average attendance greater than 15,000. I wonder how long before they start looking to move the team.

You're not listening

Winnipeg's arena can't hold much more than 15,000, it's a small arena

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa

Essentially its 1.2 million diehards in Manitoba vs. 500,000 could-care-less public servants in Ottawa.

Hey now, I'm a PS with season tickets. :laugh:

Actually almost all of us PS'ers that go to games have to buy our tickets, versus most of my friends in the private sector that get given tickets most of the time..

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
I wonder if we sell more merchandise than some of the less intense American markets with bigger pop?
i believe that gets shared equally, so since people for some reason buy more Crosby jerseys than Condra jerseys, it's ok because we get a share of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad