Player Discussion: PLD

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Then I’m terrified he could actually be this bad.

The thing is, he isn't this bad -
He's come up through the ranks as a top prospect and played well in his past NHL career -
It makes no sense but I assume we will know what this is all about at some point.
Everyone has to be wondering what the hell is going on - I assume someone knows and isn't telling us.

Reactions: GNP and Jack7222

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
The thing is, he isn't this bad -
He's come up through the ranks as a top prospect and played well in his past NHL career -
It makes no sense but I assume we will know what this is all about at some point.
Everyone has to be wondering what the hell is going on - I assume someone knows and isn't telling us.
I’m not talking about him being bad prior to this, just this stretch with the Jets. I agree with you, good pedigree and up to this point good results in the NHL. If he’s not injured, wtf is going on?

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Honest question: do you protect PLD in the expansion draft?

As it stands now, the 5 forwards that will be protected for sure are: Wheeler, Connor, Scheifele, Ehlers, Lowry.

That leaves you with 2 more forwards to protect out of this grouping of 4: PLD, Copp, Appleton, and Harkins.

Here is the rub: PLD is scheduled to earn 6.65M in actual salary next year! Which means if they decided to protect him in the expansion draft AND qualify him at the end of the 21-22 season he has to earn at least 6.65M (possibly 5% more than that, I'm not sure of the rule exactly).

This will be a real, meaningful discussion amongst the Jets' front office in the off-season.

Did you ever think it would come to this?
What? Are you serious with that question? I can promise you there will be no discussion at all from the front office regarding exposing a 22 yr old 6’3 centre who has a pedigree and was a 3rd overall pick.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
I was super stoked about him when we got him and I'm still a huge fan, but he's feeling more like Pierre-Luc Dubust right now than a potential 1B C...

Reactions: GNP and rkp

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
I was super stoked about him when we got him and I'm still a huge fan, but he's feeling more like Pierre-Luc Dubust right now than a potential 1B C...

he only produced half the points as laine did in the same amount of time...so is it really a bust taking that into account...Im saying what u see is what u r gonna get at best from pld ...he had one great span against the leafs...and nothing spectacular before or after

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
What? Are you serious with that question? I can promise you there will be no discussion at all from the front office regarding exposing a 22 yr old 6’3 centre who has a pedigree and was a 3rd overall pick.

what...laine was a 2nd overall pick and put up twice as many points as pld in the same period of time in the nhl and yet laine was traded.....what pedigree does pld have that is for a lack of a better term more substantial than laines!!

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

I feel the same as you on this. I was very happy to get rid of Laine, and from what I had heard PLD was a dominating center, who was big and rugged and could score.

What I see is a big guy, who appears to be weak on the puck ( like Laine) and who isn't physical at all. On top of that, he doesn't look to put out any effort ( like Laine) and he appears very slow, and just floats around out there. He has shown bursts of speed when he first arrived here, so I know he has it, but appears he's not using it.

PLD is very perplexing to me. The "only" thing I can think of causing all this, is he has a groin injury that he doesn't want to reaggravate. I hope this is the case, because if we're seeing a "healthy" PLD we're not getting the player we all expected, and was hyped up to be.

Like when Wheeler played with cracked ribs that hampered his performance, maybe PLD is playing with quite a medium strain Groin injury, and can't push off his legs for any power ??

If I were the Jets, I wouldn't feel good about paying this guy $ 6.5 mil, if he's healthy right now. He's playing like a 4th line center. What to do ??

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
what...laine was a 2nd overall pick and put up twice as many points as pld in the same period of time in the nhl and yet laine was traded.....what pedigree does pld have that is for a lack of a better term more substantial than laines!!
What does any of that have to do with the Jets exposing PLD which was what I was responding to?

The trade has already happened and it is what it is. That doesn't mean the Jets will expose PLD which was what that poster claimed they would do. Thats just stupid talk

Reactions: 10Ducky10

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
On Saturday, Dubois said he didn't see his role as "filling in" for Scheifele in his absence. Instead, the Jets forward said he could best serve the team simply playing his own game.

Dubois did admit his confidence level might not be at an all-time high.

"I don't like putting numbers on anything, but it's a process," said Dubois. "Confidence comes from putting in the work and knowing that you're not relying on luck or anything like that. If you put in the work in practice, if you put in the work watching tape and paying attention to details, your confidence can go up just because of that. Because you know that you're ready for any moment.

"It's been a long season. It's been a season of ups and downs. But I work hard just so that confidence doesn't go down, even if you're not scoring or even if you're not doing as much offensively as you want. It's a building process, it's building blocks. It's not just results, it's also the work that goes in."

Dubois noted that he needed to move around more on the ice in order to create space for his wingers but insisted that "last year in the post-season was last year, and this year is this year."

You can't make someone the #1C when they don't embrace the idea of being the #1C. As far as best serving the team by "simply playing his own game"... well, his own game kind of sucks.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
On Saturday, Dubois said he didn't see his role as "filling in" for Scheifele in his absence. Instead, the Jets forward said he could best serve the team simply playing his own game.

Dubois did admit his confidence level might not be at an all-time high.

"I don't like putting numbers on anything, but it's a process," said Dubois. "Confidence comes from putting in the work and knowing that you're not relying on luck or anything like that. If you put in the work in practice, if you put in the work watching tape and paying attention to details, your confidence can go up just because of that. Because you know that you're ready for any moment.

"It's been a long season. It's been a season of ups and downs. But I work hard just so that confidence doesn't go down, even if you're not scoring or even if you're not doing as much offensively as you want. It's a building process, it's building blocks. It's not just results, it's also the work that goes in."

Dubois noted that he needed to move around more on the ice in order to create space for his wingers but insisted that "last year in the post-season was last year, and this year is this year."

You can't make someone the #1C when they don't embrace the idea of being the #1C. As far as best serving the team by "simply playing his own game"... well, his own game kind of sucks.

The real draw for Chevy

Reactions: cbcwpg

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
I was happy to be patient with PLD while we had a full compliment. It's a bit harder now.

I don't even care if he scores or not. He just needs to throw his weight around. Unfortunately he looks like a total passenger right now.

I'm hoping it's an injury we'll hear about later. He looked like a dominant force when he started so we know he has it in him.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
First im on the record to give him the full year next year to assert himself with the team.

What interesting are some of the comments
Previous with Laine suffering through that 50 game drought in 2019 and Dubois this year.

What we do know is Laine is way better offensive player than Dubois. What tilt it for Dubois is he is a C. He can play defense better than Laine but he is not a world beater at it also.

I also don't think he plays a heavy game, so expecting him to be a power forward like some of us wanted Laine to be will be dissaponted. He can have spurts when he does it but it won't be his main strength.

What i mentioned when we got him , he can be a very good bigger version of our Brian Little. Being as good as Scheifele we hope.

Hopefully next year he does better, it his contract year also.

Reactions: Halberdier

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
This has been a tough season for this young man. When it’s over I will hit flush and be ready to start fresh next season. I am expecting a nice bounce back season in 21-22. It could be worse, he could be whining about needing better line mates.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Hasn’t been mentioned yet I don’t think but i PLD got in his first scrap for the Jets after the sheif hit.

I personally love this. Didn’t back down from Weber at all.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada

I feel the same as you on this. I was very happy to get rid of Laine, and from what I had heard PLD was a dominating center, who was big and rugged and could score.

What I see is a big guy, who appears to be weak on the puck ( like Laine) and who isn't physical at all. On top of that, he doesn't look to put out any effort ( like Laine) and he appears very slow, and just floats around out there. He has shown bursts of speed when he first arrived here, so I know he has it, but appears he's not using it.

PLD is very perplexing to me. The "only" thing I can think of causing all this, is he has a groin injury that he doesn't want to reaggravate. I hope this is the case, because if we're seeing a "healthy" PLD we're not getting the player we all expected, and was hyped up to be.

Like when Wheeler played with cracked ribs that hampered his performance, maybe PLD is playing with quite a medium strain Groin injury, and can't push off his legs for any power ??

If I were the Jets, I wouldn't feel good about paying this guy $ 6.5 mil, if he's healthy right now. He's playing like a 4th line center. What to do ??
There is still value there especially to a team like Mtl. You definitely cut and run as you can't even qualify him at fair value.

Reactions: GNP
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad