Post-Game Talk: PLD returns, hero (Jets 4 Canucks 3 OT)

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
IMO, Wheeler is sliding out of the top 6 and we need to look at other options.
I’d like to see Appleton given a really good look on the 2RW slot, and if not... Maybe trade one of our young D protégés, (not both) for an RW one.... Owen Tippet (FLA), Oliver Bjorkstrand (CBJ), or maybe..... Jesse Puljujarvi (EDM)
I’d love to see a Connor - PLD - Puljujarvi
I wouldn't trade any of our young D-men for forwards, but I do agree that as Wheeler ages we'll need one more quality forward on the first or second line. I'd look to free agency for one and see if we can't get the someone on a shorter deal while the flat cap is in effect. We have a bit of cap to work with the next couple of seasons.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I wouldn't trade any of our young D-men for forwards, but I do agree that as Wheeler ages we'll need one more quality forward on the first or second line. I'd look to free agency for one and see if we can't get the someone on a shorter deal while the flat cap is in effect. We have a bit of cap to work with the next couple of seasons.
I don’t think we’ll need both Heinola and Samberg, and if we can fill that top 6 RW role by moving one, I’d do it.
Personally, I like Samberg and his style more than Heinola, so I’d keep Samberg and move Heinola.
Heinola for Puljujarvi, with appropriate pluses, seems to solve issues on both teams

That said, I do think we need to address our top pairing D issues first, so if we can move Heinola in a D for D trade, then I’d go with that first...
My personal preferences would be Heinola+ for one of Pulock or Parayko,

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I don’t think we’ll need both Heinola and Samberg, and if we can fill that top 6 RW role by moving one, I’d do it.
Personally, I like Samberg and his style more than Heinola, so I’d keep Samberg and move Heinola.
Heinola for Puljujarvi solves issues on both teams
was talking in the trade thread about NSH being sellers

id be interested in forsberg (6mx2) or arvidsson (4.25mx4). both are 27. Forsberg is the better player, but i think Arvy has the better contract however having a poor year. but the 3 years prior arvidsson was one of the top EV goal scorers in the league on a per game basis (8th GPG, min 100 gp from '17-'20).

i think a 1st+Samberg or Heinola is too much for either though. maybe a 1st straight across for arvidsson? 1st+Ves for Forsberg? not sure.... depends on what direction NSH is going in - im thinking rebuild so likely picks+prospects

our top 6 RW depth is Wheeler and a turnstile of guys, once PLD goes to C.

next year

LW: Ehlers, Connor
C: Scheifele, PLD
RW: Arvidsson/Forsberg, Connor

not bad

Reactions: BatVader

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Heinola for Puljujarvi, with appropriate pluses, seems to solve issues on both teams
Agree to disagree. We have MUCH bigger holes in our defense than we do our offense, and I don't see how we fill those holes by trading away one of our top 3 prospects.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
was talking in the trade thread about NSH being sellers

id be interested in forsberg (6mx2) or arvidsson (4.25mx4). both are 27. Forsberg is the better player, but i think Arvy has the better contract however having a poor year. but the 3 years prior arvidsson was one of the top EV goal scorers in the league on a per game basis (8th GPG, min 100 gp from '17-'20).

i think a 1st+Samberg or Heinola is too much for either though. maybe a 1st straight across for arvidsson?
Which ones game style fits best with PLD?
That’s the question

I’m gonna jump this over to the trade thread as this is thread is for PGT

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Which ones game style fits best with PLD?
That’s the question
both are versatile.

arvidsson is smaller but is scrappy, also from what i've seen his pretty good on the pk

i think forsberg is more skilled and still likes to throw his body around - more than arvidsson

either or are fine imo.

Reactions: BatVader

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
And I don't generally have much nice to say about Maurice these last couple of seasons, but kudos to him for going with 3 forwards in OT. Maybe he should think about going 4F-1D at 5v5...
Maurice stated that the only reason why he went with 3 forward was because he was down to 5 defencemen and did not want to ride them hard.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Maurice stated that the only reason why he went with 3 forward was because he was down to 5 defencemen and did not want to ride them hard.
He also said that he now has 7 forwards that he'd like to use in 3v3, and can only do that by using a 3F combo. I expect we'll see it again. Maurice remembers things that worked, even if it isn't necessarily a reproducible strategy.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I'm hoping Perfetti can be that guy.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The discussion about how our prospects are playing for the Moose is better situated in the Moose thread. You will invariably also get much more informed opinions there as well.
Yeah. But if you break it down I think we are:

4W 1L against teams named Ottawa
7W 6L against teams not named Ottawa

We need a good 'eastern' road swing here to show that we are truly a solid top 1/3rd tier team.
Ottawa has beaten Toronto and Montreal as well, we will destroy both with Dubois in the lineup . :naughty:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I'm looking for 6 out of a possible 8 points in the next 4 home games and then hoping for 5 or 6 out of a possible 10 on the road.
We should be getting the vast majority of the available points from teams like Van and OTT.
That upcoming 3 game series with TO will have a major impact on the final standings.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
You haven't had time to watch many of the Jets recent games? Here you go. :nod:

Thanks. I've been watching the highlights so that clip wasn't news...but in looking at it again, what jumps out is that the Jets look like a big team again. It's not just size, but style and attitude--so much fun to see Wheeler and PLD easily out-muscling their opponents, leaving Quinn Hughes to beat up on the only moving object smaller than him--his own stick.

Reactions: Jets 31

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
perfetti's sure taking his time to get acclimatized to the AHL. i would be hesitant to declare that he's ready next year. i was hoping, but it's clear he needs some seasoning.
dare i say that this also may go for Heinola and Samberg? Heinola scored yesterday, but by all accounts, he's not dominating the A

I agree. Unless injuries to our D corp force the Jets hands I don't expect Heinola and Samberg to play with the Jets at all this season. I don't understand why so many people are always in a rush to bring in young prospects up to the big club so quickly? This current version of the Jets will most likely make the PO's this year without the help of our young prospects. If Helle can play at his best in the POs then the Jets can go far even with our current D corps. Draft and develop does not end when a team become a PO and SC contender.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I agree. Unless injuries to our D corp force the Jets hands I don't expect Heinola and Samberg to play with the Jets at all this season. I don't understand why so many people are always in a rush to bring in young prospects up to the big club so quickly? This current version of the Jets will most likely make the PO's this year without the help of our young prospects. If Helle can play at his best in the POs then the Jets can go far even with our current D corps. Draft and develop does not end when a team become a PO and SC contender.
because, going into training camp, Heinola looked like he'd be ready to step into the line-up with relative ease AND improve the Jets.
it's also hypocritical for management (and fans) to think Stanley could just step in w/o problems but then to claim that Heinola needed seasoning.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
because, going into training camp, Heinola looked like he'd be ready to step into the line-up with relative ease AND improve the Jets.
it's also hypocritical for management (and fans) to think Stanley could just step in w/o problems but then to claim that Heinola needed seasoning.
Was Heinola even at training camp?

also I don’t think anyone thought Stanley would step into the Jets no problem, he started on the taxi squad and only got into the lineup because of injuries, and currently is a healthy scratch.

Stanley also has two years of pro experience in North America where Heinola has none.

Also I think Heinolas biggest obstacle will be his size, he still looks like a child and it wouldn’t surprise me if he struggles to get through even a 56 game season.

I’m not saying his size will prevent him from being a good NHL defenseman.

Reactions: LowLefty

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth

Stanley is at D+5 Heinola is at D+1.

Stanley is now a huge man while Heinola is still a undersized kid. Big difference. Since Heinola has a much higher ceiling then Stanley and could be a #1 D for the Jets in the future don't you think that the Jets should make sure they develop him right?

Give Heinola 20-30 mins a game with the Moose this season and one more offseason of training and then next season if he is ready give him every opportunity to make the Jets full time ready to play 20+mins a game if needed.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Stanley is at D+5 Heinola is at D+1.

Stanley is now a huge man while Heinola is still a undersized kid. Big difference. Since Heinola has a much higher ceiling then Stanley and could be a #1 D for the Jets in the future don't you think that the Jets should make sure they develop him right?

Give Heinola 20-30 mins a game with the Moose this season and one more offseason of training and then next season if he is ready give him every opportunity to make the Jets full time ready to play 20+mins a game if needed.
I still think that Samberg is more NHL ready than Heinola or Stanley. He's not as offensively refined as Heinola, but he's stronger defensively.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I still think that Samberg is more NHL ready than Heinola or Stanley. He's not as offensively refined as Heinola, but he's stronger defensively.

I'd really like to see Samberg in the lineup. Considering that Connor and Ehlers broke into the lineup at a young age, there is no reason why Samberg can't, as he's physically mature, and from what I hear -- he's a very good player. Why not work him in now ?? We need him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad