Post-Game Talk: PLD returns, hero (Jets 4 Canucks 3 OT)

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm positive it's about the money.
As much as I'm sure Chipman wants to win it this year, I think equally important is putting a team on the ice that is very competitive for years to come.
Playing Beaulieu, Thompson, etc ahead of Heinola, Samberg, Vesalainen saves us the cap space in future years.
Balancing cap space becomes a bit of an art especially in a flat cap world. Every season we see teams move on from players that are important pieces because they have to prioritize to stay under the cap. Unless there is a quarantine gain I’m more and more patient on not rushing players on their ELCs, especially if they are in a contract slide position like Heinola.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Balancing cap space becomes a bit of an art especially in a flat cap world. Every season we see teams move on from players that are important pieces because they have to prioritize to stay under the cap. Unless there is a quarantine gain I’m more and more patient on not rushing players on their ELCs, especially if they are in a contract slide position like Heinola.
At some point, its good to remember that the goal is winning a cup...

Does saving a year of Heinola for Beaulieu help our chances in a season where the competition in the North Division is light than our usual path to the championship...?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
At some point, its good to remember that the goal is winning a cup...

Does saving a year of Heinola for Beaulieu help our chances in a season where the competition in the North Division is light than our usual path to the championship...?
As long as that’s the goal. It may be the goal for the fans the players goals might be to stay healthy and earn lots of money. Maurice and Chevy’s goals might be to keep their jobs. Chapman’s goal might be to have an economic investment that increases its value and doesn’t cost more than it is valued at.

Reactions: hn777

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
As long as that’s the goal. It may be the goal for the fans the players goals might be to stay healthy and earn lots of money. Maurice and Chevy’s goals might be to keep their jobs. Chapman’s goal might be to have an economic investment that increases its value and doesn’t cost more than it is valued at.
I guess outside of Winnipeg - winning a cup would equal keeping your job haha...

This is actually a bigger problem in pro sports now that we realize... I think there are a lot of teams that are basically tax writeoffs - and one is in our division.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Speaking of Heinola ... overtime winner tonight.
Nice shot , this is why i'm ok with Heinola playing with the Moose right now because i don't think he would be playing during the 3 on 3 OT with the Jets. He's getting alot of ice time and getting to play in all situations with the Moose and that can only mean good things for the Jets very soon. :nod:

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Nice shot , this is why i'm ok with Heinola playing with the Moose right now because i don't think he would be playing during the 3 on 3 OT with the Jets. He's getting alot of ice time and getting to play in all situations with the Moose and that can only mean good things for the Jets very soon. :nod:
I would like to see him on 3v3 for the Jets asap.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Honestly, a lot about this team as it is excites me. Top of the league forward depth (which for me has been bolstered with PLD), vezina caliber goaltending, keep pushing the PP/PK up to the top 10 like you say... that's a recipe for success no matter which way you slice it, even with an average defensive unit.

Which excites me because honestly after our 2018 Conference Final run we really took a dip and I wasn't sure where we were going or if/when we would get that next window. We took some salary cap punches, had to deal with Trouba, lost Buff and Little to injury, didn't have much in terms of quality impact prospects who were ready, etc.

I'd say we're mighty close if not there very soon. I envision a deep playoff run this year, ideally, and legitimate contender next season and beyond.
Oh yeah, me too. Once we get Heinola and Samberg into the corps we could be a perennial contender for quite a few years.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I’m fine with Heinola making his mistakes in the AHL while learning the NA game with the Moose.

I think he’s called up, along with Samberg, later in the season and helps secure a playoff spot. Though I’m not sure PoMo plays him in the playoffs just yet. Samberg has a better chance at playing playoff hockey with the Jets IMO.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I’m fine with Heinola making his mistakes in the AHL while learning the NA game with the Moose.

I think he’s called up, along with Samberg, later in the season and helps secure a playoff spot. Though I’m not sure PoMo plays him in the playoffs just yet. Samberg has a better chance at playing playoff hockey with the Jets IMO.
Just a guess but i think both get called up near the trade deadline and instead of trading our 1st round pick we add one or both as our deadline adds. Course i could be completely wrong too . :laugh:

Reactions: RabidOne

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
And I don't generally have much nice to say about Maurice these last couple of seasons, but kudos to him for going with 3 forwards in OT. Maybe he should think about going 4F-1D at 5v5...

Reactions: Jets 31

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno

how many minutes of Moose hockey have you watched this season?

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Perfetti comes in next season, Scheifele, Dubois, Connor, Ehlers, Perfetti and Wheeler. Could be a amazing top 6. :scared:
perfetti's sure taking his time to get acclimatized to the AHL. i would be hesitant to declare that he's ready next year. i was hoping, but it's clear he needs some seasoning.
dare i say that this also may go for Heinola and Samberg? Heinola scored yesterday, but by all accounts, he's not dominating the A

Reactions: libertarian

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Really ... No business winning?
The only break/bounce the Jets got was that Pettersson hit the crossbar. It seemed like all the bounces and loose pucks seem to go right to a Canuck player. I also noticed the Canucks ran a lot of interference along with minor clutching and grabbing but if the Jets were skating hard that would not have matter.
Serious question are people really worried about the Jets not making the playoffs?
Key injuries are the only thing that might stop them.
That was the first game for the big line can you imagine once they've played a few games together .... I can't see anyone stopping them.

I don’t think it’s a matter of making the playoffs but more so on where exactly they’ll finish. From my perspective I just worry that they will get caved in and manhandled playing Toronto and while it will be closer against Montreal I still feel our defense will let us down once again.

Reactions: kellhunter

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
The discussion about how our prospects are playing for the Moose is better situated in the Moose thread. You will invariably also get much more informed opinions there as well.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Perfetti comes in next season, Scheifele, Dubois, Connor, Ehlers, Perfetti and Wheeler. Could be a amazing top 6. :scared:
IMO, Wheeler is sliding out of the top 6 and we need to look at other options.
I’d like to see Appleton given a really good look on the 2RW slot, and if not... Maybe trade one of our young D protégés, (not both) for an RW one.... Owen Tippet (FLA), Oliver Bjorkstrand (CBJ), or maybe..... Jesse Puljujarvi (EDM)
I’d love to see a Connor - PLD - Puljujarvi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad